• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The areas affected are pretty much all poor areas. It is quite a nice checklist for tourists or potential residents as 'places to avoid'.

I am not sure how we can solve this problem. There is already a lot of welfare in the UK, so clearly that is not working. From my experience, the problem is cycles of bad families who have lots of kids at a young age (as an aside, note the guy who got shot had 4 kids and was only 29), they instill bad values in the kids or neglect them. I wonder if there are any examples where a nation managed to solve this kind of problem?

Really sad at these turn of events. It does nothing for the cause of those rioting does it? Just leaves onlookers feeling disgust for them.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
From my experience, the problem is cycles of bad families who have lots of kids at a young age (as an aside, note the guy who got shot had 4 kids and was only 29), they instill bad values in the kids or neglect them.
I know what you are trying to say, but there are plenty of people who choose to have children early and raise them well - I am one. I had 4 children by 30, by choice, and they have been raised to have respect and contribute to the community not destroy it.

But yes...there are often endemic problems in these communities. Welfare dependence and instability among them, and the children often don't stand a chance.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Really sad at these turn of events. It does nothing for the cause of those rioting does it? Just leaves onlookers feeling disgust for them.

From my experience, the problem is cycles of bad families who have lots of kids at a young age (as an aside, note the guy who got shot had 4 kids and was only 29), they instill bad values in the kids or neglect them.
I know what you are trying to say, but there are plenty of people who choose to have children early and raise them well - I am one. I had 4 children by 30, by choice, and they have been raised to have respect and contribute to the community not destroy it.

But yes...there are often endemic problems in these communities. Welfare dependence and instability among them, and the children often don't stand a chance.

If you read his post, he sad bad families who have lots of kids at a young age, the age of the man shot dead was put in here to back up the statement.

There are plenty of good families who have lots of kids at a young age whose children do grow up respecting but that isn't the point here is it?

yeah thats not what Bobby meant. I agree totally, having worked very closely with troubled familes when I was back home, the attitude of some of them is staggering. "The world owes me a living" is a common theme that runs through these type of families, but also an obvious hatred of the Police is also an attitude that is passed on very strongly through the generations.

Yes yes guys, I know what he was trying to say - and I said that. Just wanted to clarify that point that it is not a particular feature of bad families to have lots of kids and early in age - but the outcome is awful when they do have any/lots of kids, early or late in life, they are not teaching them anything positive :(

Spreading by all accounts.

How do you stop this?!

I would like to see some kind of 'licence to have kids' where people take a test in order to be able to have more than 2 kids.

In China they had the one child rule, and the UK now forces foreign spouses to take a ridiculous Life in the UK* test, so I do not see why we cannot implement this kind of restriction on people. If they have 3 kids without a licence, withhold their benefits etc like China did.

* it is so hard, questions about the royal family and minor home counties etc, I would not be able to pass it myself without memorising the book.

Looks like total anarchy.

Very sad to see all of that.

Looked like people just robbing stuff just because they could - what sort of person does that??

They really need to get a handle on it.

Some trouble in Liverpool as well (Toxteth) so it seems.

Can't believe some of these images, madness.

Police totally overwhelmed.

Wonder if some folk who 'hate police' were actually begging for them to come and protect them last night.

Big Wigs having meeting now and will surely try to look like they are taking control. But it sounds like it will have to get worse before they will call the army in. Why? I have no idea.

Olympics coming up might have something to do with reticence to bring out the army (bad publicity etc)

The guys who get caught are going to be in for a proper beating I would imagine, and rightly so!

I think Twitter and the like enable this kind of thing.

Olympics coming up might have something to do with reticence to bring out the army (bad publicity etc)

It couldn't get much worse than what we are seeing now. At least it would be a show of control.

From China:

"The Olympics will be hosted next year; the security situation in London, which has always been a first-choice site for terrorist attacks, will be even grimmer. British police now face two main problems. First, as the government cuts police funding in order to reduce the deficit, British police will carry out massive layoffs. With insufficient manpower and financial resources, they will inevitably be overwhelmed with problems in maintaining social order. Second, after the News of the World phone-hacking scandal, the credibility of the British police has declined and there is still a very long way to go in rebuilding the credibility of the police and restoring public support, says Qu Bing, Institute of European Studies, China Institute of Contemporary International Relations."

hahahahaha - China saying the UK has problems with the credibility of the police.....

What else do you expect from a country that invented a "game" that takes 90 minutes (plus injury time)to produce a result - or MORE PROBABLY no result at all - with a maximum score of 20 points.

Purpose designed to produce boredom and engender hooliganism in the devotees.

shifty