So this morning we wake to see part of north London (Tottenham to be exact) on fire, broken and looted after some fine people decided to go on a rampage, destroy other people's property and take things that do not belong to them. Apparrntly scenes of kids as young as 10 nicking plasma tvs from shops that has been destroyed.

Apparently the reason was some person being killed by police on Thursday.

But surely that is beside the point. Why does that make this kind of utter mindless madness acceptable?

It made me think of Japan. Can you think of this kind of thing happening there? I wonder how this society would deal with a disaster on the scale of what Japan had. Scary to even think about it.

Bloody embarrasing it is.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to school not far from Tottenham and a lot of the bad kids in the school came in from that part of town. It is quite rough up there, not as bad as Brixton etc but still a lot of crime and perpetual broken families. It seems some parts of London are becoming like how I imagine the ghettos of America to be.

From what I read it seems some guy shot at a policeman and got shot in retaliation, how this justifies rioting is beyond me.

This is good timing for me as I am quite seriously thinking of moving back to the UK this Xmas and it reminds me to avoid London!

People from poor, rough parts of any city, in any country feel disconnected and rejected from the rest of society IMO. I'm sure that they have justified it in their own minds that anything they do in rebellion against the 'system' is OK and the system's laws don't apply to them.

Western societies are a basket case these days. Too much liberty. grandpa

A similar thing happened in Western Sydney a few years ago and who could forget the LA riots?

from what I've heard the Policeman shouted instructions to him many times that he ignored then reached for his gun and shot at the Police. Sounds to me that he deserved to get shot!! For 1, WTF would an innocent person be sitting in a taxi with a gun?? He's going out for the night, wallet....check, mobile.....check, lighter and fags......check, now where the hell did I leave my gun!!?? omg

it may be slightly more complex. The grauniad now reports that the ballistics test on the bullet lodged in the policemans radio shows that it was police issued. So er, somehow the police managed to shoot the police???

Rumours also abound that mark duggans gun was found in his sock and had not been used.

Also demonstrators at the original protest following the shooting (which the police confirmed was in fact peaceful in their statement yesterday morning) claim that the initial violence erupted after a woman was seen being hit by the police.

Of course it doesnt justify the looting, burning and threat to life that followed, but it might not be the straightforward story we all maybe thought it was early yesterday.

Police are in a no win situation, they will take shit whatever they do. They were too forceful, they were too late in taking action.

Meanwhile some people seem to forget that they are having to react to lawless thugs who have no respect for anyone or anything.

The officer had a gun because he was doing a bust for Operation Trident which is aiming to tackle gun crime in London.

These riots are nothing more than kids out to have fun and steal things, watch the videos to get a feel for the kind of people it is doing this.

Originally Posted By: Mantas
People from poor, rough parts of any city, in any country feel disconnected and rejected from the rest of society IMO. I'm sure that they have justified it in their own minds that anything they do in rebellion against the 'system' is OK and the system's laws don't apply to them.
Western societies are a basket case these days. Too much liberty. grandpa

A similar thing happened in Western Sydney a few years ago and who could forget the LA riots?

Yes because Chelsea is such a poor, rough part of London. wink
Originally Posted By: big-will
Really getting out of control.
Hard to see how this will calm down.

Shoot to kill policy - should stop a few people. biggrin

Draconian, but when has that stopped the police in the past. wink
Originally Posted By: Mantas
I'm sure that they have justified it in their own minds that anything they do in rebellion against the 'system' is OK and the system's laws don't apply to them.

You've got to be less than a dickwad to trash your own community though, no?