Is an Australian giving the British government recommendations on how to handle these kinds of riots, that may be based around racial and social disparatities?

heard it all now...

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just repeating the words of your PM mate. And who said anything about 'racial and social dispariies'? confused Say it for yourself if that's what you think. Don't try and make it sound like it come from me.

Little bit sensitive are we?

I wasn't refering to you Muika.

This article in the Guidian says it all.

Other comparable cities like New York, Stockholm, Sydney ... have wealthy people, but not as many wealthy people as London," said Dorling. "There is an inbuilt bias towards inequality in UK society today.

Add to that David some David Cameron quotes

Multiculturalism has failed.

There are pockets of our society that are not just broken but frankly sick.

It is clear that there are things that are badly wrong with our society.

I think my comments were pretty mild compared to his but as an Australian apparently I'm not qualified to comment on such loffty matters.

Tally Ho grandpa

Originally Posted By: Mantas

I think my comments were pretty mild compared to his but as an Australian apparently I'm not qualified to comment on such loffty matters.

I never said you weren't qualified, I think it's kind of ironic - the Uk has it's first riots in about 25years, and everyone chips in with their ideas, yet no-one right now, knows, for 100%, what actually caused these people to riot and loot.

Australians have experienced far much more trouble in recent years, and tensions seem to be constantly waiting to veer their ugly head, next time there is an attack from migrants. Have the Australian government managed to solve these problems?
Originally Posted By: Man_In_Japan
Australians have experienced far much more trouble in recent years, and tensions seem to be constantly waiting to veer their ugly head, next time there is an attack from migrants. Have the Australian government managed to solve these problems?

Really? Attack from migrants? What do you mean?
BTW. Some of the roits that didn't happen.
Welling riots, October 1993. A march organised by the ANLthe SWP and Militant resulted in riots against the Metropolitain police.
The 1995 Brixton riot against the Metropolitan Police occurred after a death in police custody.
The 1999 Carnival Against Capitalism riot
The 2000 anti-capitalist May Day riot
The 2001 May Day riot in central London by anti-capitalist protestors.
In 2009 G-20 London summit protests occurred in the days around the G-20 summit.
The 2011 England riots, initially in London, following the police shooting of Mark Duggan in Tottenham

Such terrible news and it was when I was there too.

But life in central London pretty much seemed to be "as normal".

I enjoyed myself and this didn't change that.

Even a 'minor' riot in the UK would upstage anything we've ever experienced here.

Things are a lot better here than they were 5-10 years ago, when racial and social tensions were high in a few places, thanks to a lot of effort made by communities and governments. I was encouraged to see the government finally consented to a full public inquiry into the riots after much pressure from the coalition. Comments bordering on denial certainly portray an attitude of indifference to the problem.

Originally Posted By: Mantas
Things are a lot better here than they were 5-10 years ago, when racial and social tensions were high in a few places, thanks to a lot of effort made by communities and governments. I was encouraged to see the government finally consented to a full public inquiry into the riots after much pressure from the coalition. Comments bordering on denial certainly portray an attitude of indifference to the problem.

The years of right wing rule under Howard saw a big increase in racial tensions in Aus. That prick did a lot to destroy the social fabric of Australia and the affects can still be felt today. I truly dread what will happen in Aus if Abbott gets elected!
  • 10 months later...

I'm actually surprised that this hasn't happened again, or at least people try it on.

There was a fair few people who were enjoying that - one guy in above video said "it was the best 3 days of his life".

:wakaranai:

One day, it will.