Originally Posted By: seemore
Thats the problem you don't know, but riding around on a pushbike doesn't deserve getting beaten by batons and kicked.

They could be curious and riding around to have a look,
unless a curfew is in effect anyone can walk/ride the streets.

Do you think that other guy they walked up to should have beaten as well?

I understand they need to do something to control these people but that isn't the way.

Seemore

Attitudes like yours are sadly a part of the problem. These unruly wild beasts with no sense of right or wrong have absolutely no 'fear' of the consequences of their behavior.

The authorities asked everyone to stay in.
It was the third night of major rioting.
Any decent kid WOULD NOT be biking around and reporting (which is what lots of those youths on bikes were doing) like they were, at that time, in that place.
It is as simple as that.

I say hurray to the police.
Much more of that please.

thumbsup
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GG

Attitudes like mine are generated from personal experience.

I was at a party when I was a teenager and mistaken for someone else and beaten with a big maglite torch by a policeman.

What do you base your bully opinion on personal experience as well?

Seemore

Apparently, for the scene in that video clip, a police helicopter has been hovering overhead and had been tracking these lovely obviously totally inoccent hooded kids with its spotlight.

They were doing what had been seen in London quite a lot - biking round, letting others know where the police were sothat their mates could go cause trouble/loot elsewhere.

Charming indeed.

In fact, let's give them benefits and encourage them to fling bricks and fireworks at police officers. After all, there's sod all consequence for doing that as the police generally have their hands tied when being confronted with rampaging gangs of people wanting to kill them.

There's a discussion on BBC right now, one of the panelists is Terry Christian. Terry Christian!!! Quite fun to watch actually.

Oh well. Back to Japan tomorrow.

Water cannons wouldn't really fit what was happening this time with some real fast moving crowds, especially in London and Manchester.

I hear they are pretty stationary and lumbersome.

Very glad that things have been calm the last 3-4 nights though. Lets hope that continues.

How many points do you get for that? 20 per game? razz

And to be fair, they are criminals, and we could do with a new colony, or perhaps extending an old one.

Just ship them off down under, most of them would fit right in without much hassle. biggrin

Originally Posted By: Man_In_Japan
How many points do you get for that? 20 per game? razz

And to be fair, they are criminals, and we could do with a new colony, or perhaps extending an old one.

Just ship them off down under, most of them would fit right in without much hassle. biggrin

Rob, we can't copy another game!! We have to be original!! wink
Originally Posted By: Man_In_Japan

No I'm afraid your stuck with them this time.
I've always thought they got it back to front. They should've left all the convicts in England and move the rest down here, but I suppose that would've been to inhumane to leave them there.

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Originally Posted By: seemore
Thats the problem you don't know, but riding around on a pushbike doesn't deserve getting beaten by batons and kicked.

They could be curious and riding around to have a look,
unless a curfew is in effect anyone can walk/ride the streets.

Do you think that other guy they walked up to should have beaten as well?

I understand they need to do something to control these people but that isn't the way.

Seemore

Attitudes like yours are sadly a part of the problem. These unruly wild beasts with no sense of right or wrong have absolutely no 'fear' of the consequences of their behavior.

The authorities asked everyone to stay in.
It was the third night of major rioting.
Any decent kid WOULD NOT be biking around and reporting (which is what lots of those youths on bikes were doing) like they were, at that time, in that place.
It is as simple as that.

I say hurray to the police.
Much more of that please.

thumbsup

Thus you marginalize the population that is rioting even further. Then it makes it an us vs them problem already more than it has to be. If those kids on bikes were just out "riding around" even if there was a curfew then the action there was completely unnecessary. I don't know the story so I really can't say but the gung ho police mentality you are advocating will absolutely not solve the problem.

You're right, of course.

After all, the 'stand back' attitude really, really, really, really worked on Saturday, Sunday and Monday of last week didnt it.

And things really fell apart badly from Tuesday after the police didn't just sit back and watch people throw bricks at them, didn't it.

(And any, just how many reported cases like this were there. Answer - hardly any.)

Seemore has a point though. The 'us and them' mentality is a direct product of the 'sick' society than Gordon Brown talks about. London has the greatest disparity of wealth distribution of any city in Europe. Until these issues are addressed the problem is not going to go away no matter how hard the police crack down is. The response by the police was necessary though to maintain order and it's the duty of any state to do that to keep the citizens safe.

Geez,.. what a basket case British society has become.

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
You're right, of course.

After all, the 'stand back' attitude really, really, really, really worked on Saturday, Sunday and Monday of last week didnt it.

And things really fell apart badly from Tuesday after the police didn't just sit back and watch people throw bricks at them, didn't it.

(And any, just how many reported cases like this were there. Answer - hardly any.)

I don't think building a society based on fear for order is a good idea. Nor do I think extreme measures of violence and a "beat them into subservience" will work. I never advocated a complete "stand back" by any means but an all out wave of violence will only do what I said before...marginalize. Pretty easy lesson to learn from Los Angeles, California is how disparity can really shift the crime rate in a city and riots can erupt from these tensions out of nowhere.