Yes way too expensive for both visitors and seasonal workers.

I no longer buy a Niseko United Season Pass, instead I buy a Kiroro Season Pass (JPY 36,000 last season) and then pay JPY 2,500 to ski Grand Hirafu for the day.

I prefer Kiroro, but that's just me wink

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If people buy it....

Would be interesting to know how it got to that price.... like how much it has changed over the last 20 years or so...

Originally Posted By: MikePow
Yes way too expensive for both visitors and seasonal workers.

I no longer buy a Niseko United Season Pass, instead I buy a Kiroro Season Pass (JPY 36,000 last season) and then pay JPY 2,500 to ski Grand Hirafu for the day.

I prefer Kiroro, but that's just me wink

I can see why you would after a few days I had there last year. That place can get twice as much as Niseko.

Jim, For us lucky under 25 Snowbird is only $440 Brighton is the same as well. I would consider Brighton to be much like Niseko but with much bigger cliffs. Alta is a bit overpriced but they can get it being so close to a metropolitan area. Niseko really isn't close enough to Sapporo to charge those rates. Plus they don't offer any sort of discount be it student, young person, etc which I find very discouraging.
Originally Posted By: klingon
If people buy it....

Would be interesting to know how it got to that price.... like how much it has changed over the last 20 years or so...

I know it's been about the same price for around the last 8 years. Not sure prior to that.

Before 8 years or so, there was no United Pass- you paid for a Hirafu or a Hano or Higashiyama or Annupuri pass separate. The four resorts were separate and didnt even link up to each other- you had to access from the bottom of each or fight accross ungroomed powder flats and duck fences. Annupuri was in danger of closing, as Moiwa already had.

It was big news my first year that Hano and Hirafu were joining forces- it meant you could do Strabws without having to buy a lift tix to get back up ( 2,500 was cheapest) or catch a ride from a mate conned into driving over there.

In those days too- it would take two or three "beater" runs to be able to work your way accross to be able to access the drops and mushrooms ( In Strawberries) .

Man I am old.

Me and all my friends buy it, though usually at the preseason reduced rate of 109,000. If i was guessing, I would say a few hundred maybe, though a lot more would buy if it wasn`t so crazy expensive. Most others buy a Hirafu Pass ( still 50,-80,000 depending when) or a night pass and/or 50 hour combo of some sort .

Japanese locs usually go the night hirafu pass or even the Moiwa pass as they are in the 20-30,000 range.

Every year , its a sad moment when that amount slides across the counter, lemme tell you...

A few hundred people.

Wonder how much cheaper it would have to be for many more to snap it up though.

They probably think a fair bit and just decide to let the hardcore people who would anyway go on and buy it.

I suspect they've priced it so that not many buy it. I doubt they care much at all about season passes and probably don't see them as a good way to make money. The Japanese market is mostly one or two day passes on weekends and that's all they really seem to care about.

I know for last year at least there was a pre Sept registration which gave you 30% off, making it 106,000Yen for the United Pass, still expensive for sure

I suppose in a way they really won't be bothered about that, more people will perhaps end up spending more than that if they stay a while.

Is there a photo on the pass and are they strict about enforcing it so to speak - can you pass it on to someone else and easily get away with it. Not that anyone on here would consider doing such a thing of course.

It seems to be similar to Russian management. Decisions take a long time as no one wants to be responsible for an incorrect one as any mistake is seen as a personal misjudgement and therefore a career ender.