Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

Originally Posted By: sanjo
Apparently the quake this morning in Nagano is close to the Gofukujo (?) active fault - one of the "danger faults".

Hate to bring worrying news but...

長野県æ¾æœ¬å¸‚ã§éœ‡åº¦ï¼•å¼·ã‚’観測ã—ãŸä»Šå›žã®åœ°éœ‡ã®éœ‡æºã¯ã€å›½å†…ã®æ´»æ–­å±¤ã®ä¸­ã§ã‚‚地震ã®ç™ºç”Ÿç¢ºçŽ‡ãŒé«˜ã„「牛ä¼å¯ºã”ãµãã˜æ–­å±¤å¸¯ã€ã‹ã‚‰ï¼“~4キロã—ã‹é›¢ã‚Œã¦ã„ãªã„。

気象åºã§ã¯ã€Œé–¢é€£ã¯åˆ†ã‹ã‚‰ãªã„ãŒã€ç‰›ä¼å¯ºæ–­å±¤å¸¯ã§ã®åœ°éœ‡ã«ã‚‚æ°—ã‚’ã¤ã‘ã¦ã»ã—ã„ã€ã¨ã—ã¦ã„る。

国ã®åœ°éœ‡èª¿æŸ»å§”員会ã§ã¯ã€ã“ã®æ–­å±¤å¸¯ã‚’å«ã‚€åœ°å¸¯ã§ï¼“ï¼å¹´ä»¥å†…ã«ãƒžã‚°ãƒ‹ãƒãƒ¥ãƒ¼ãƒ‰ï¼˜ç´šã®åœ°éœ‡ãŒèµ·ãã‚‹å¯èƒ½æ€§ã‚’14%ã¨è©•ä¾¡ã€‚ãã®ã†ãˆã€æ±æ—¥æœ¬å¤§éœ‡ç½ã§æ—¥æœ¬åˆ—島ã«åŠ ã‚る力ãŒå¤§ãã変化ã—ãŸã“ã¨ã‹ã‚‰ã€ä»Šæœˆï¼™æ—¥ã«ã€Œåœ°éœ‡ã®ç™ºç”Ÿç¢ºçŽ‡ã¯é«˜ã¾ã£ã¦ã„ã‚‹ã€ã¨ã®è¦‹è§£ã‚’出ã—ã¦ã„る。

shifty
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

How's your earthquake kit? Water, candles, torches, radio, batteries. Water, you'll need water, start with 10 litres. Also, some dried food and one of those pocket sized gas burners. Did I mention water?

Edit. If you get a big one and the power goes off, fill the bath (if you can) while the water is still running.

Originally Posted By: soubriquet
Edit. If you get a big one and the power goes off, fill the bath (if you can) while the water is still running.

Also can't hurt to have some jugs or other containers on hand, in case you have to line up at the water truck some time in the future. And keep the car's gas tank topped off while you're at it.

On the other hand, don't get too freaked out with worrying in advance. In the event, you will surely manage just fine.

This in the Guardian today

Quote:
Trace amounts of radioactive substances have been found in urine samples taken from children from Fukushima city, raising concerns that residents have been exposed internally to radiation from the stricken nuclear power plant 37 miles (60km) away.

Tests were conducted in May on 10 children, aged between 6 and 16, by a Japanese civic group and Acro, a French body that measures radioactivity. All 10 tested positive for tiny amounts of caesium-134 and caesium-137.

The chief cabinet secretary, Yukio Edano, said he was concerned by the findings and the government would thoroughly examine the results.

The Fukushima network to save children from radiation said it was certain the readings were due to radiation leaks from the power plant, where workers are still struggling to stabilise reactors that suffered core meltdowns after the 11 March earthquake and tsunami.

Acro's president, David Boilley, said the results suggested a strong likelihood that children living in or near Fukushima city had been exposed to radiation internally.

According to the survey, 1.13 becquerels of caesium-134 per litre of urine were found in an eight-year-old girl – the highest reading for that isotope. The highest reading for caesium-137 – 1.30 becquerels – came from a seven-year-old boy, Kyodo news agency said.

Originally Posted By: 2pints,mate
This in the Guardian today

Quote:
Trace amounts of radioactive substances have been found in urine samples taken from children from Fukushima city, raising concerns that residents have been exposed internally to radiation from the stricken nuclear power plant 37 miles (60km) away.

Tests were conducted in May on 10 children, aged between 6 and 16, by a Japanese civic group and Acro, a French body that measures radioactivity. All 10 tested positive for tiny amounts of caesium-134 and caesium-137.

The chief cabinet secretary, Yukio Edano, said he was concerned by the findings and the government would thoroughly examine the results.

The Fukushima network to save children from radiation said it was certain the readings were due to radiation leaks from the power plant, where workers are still struggling to stabilise reactors that suffered core meltdowns after the 11 March earthquake and tsunami.

Acro's president, David Boilley, said the results suggested a strong likelihood that children living in or near Fukushima city had been exposed to radiation internally.

According to the survey, 1.13 becquerels of caesium-134 per litre of urine were found in an eight-year-old girl – the highest reading for that isotope. The highest reading for caesium-137 – 1.30 becquerels – came from a seven-year-old boy, Kyodo news agency said.

Well, I am jolly well glad that they will thoroughly examine the results. Extremely thoroughly I hope, not just a bit thoroughly. And I'm sure they are all very sorry, so it's ok.

All this talk of earthquake kit and the like is worrying in itself!

Though I do and have had a few things in the genkan as a precaution since a few years back.

veryshocked

Hey here's news of Today's Cockup

æ±äº¬é›»åŠ›ã¯ï¼‘æ—¥ã€ç¦å³¶ç¬¬ä¸€åŽŸå­åŠ›ç™ºé›»æ‰€ã®é«˜æ¿ƒåº¦æ±šæŸ“水浄化処ç†è£…ç½®ãŒï¼“ï¼æ—¥åˆå¾Œã«åœæ­¢ã—ãŸã®ã¯ã€ä½œæ¥­å“¡ãŒã‚¿ãƒ³ã‚¯ã®æ°´é‡ã®è¨­å®šå€¤ã‚’é–“é•ãˆã¦å…¥åŠ›ã—ãŸã®ãŒåŽŸå› ã ã£ãŸã¨ç™ºè¡¨ã—ãŸã€‚

Originally Posted By: sunrise
Tea grown in Itabashi-ku (my neighbourhood) and picked by school kids showed 1300 Bq/kg for 134Cs and 1400 Bq/kg for 137Cs

Is that good or bad? Don't mean owt I'm afraid.

"One Bq is defined as the activity of a quantity of radioactive material in which one nucleus decays per second.

The average human experiences 4400 becquerels from decaying potassium-40 which is naturally present within the body."

Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Becquerel

1.13-1.30 becquerels per litre of urine is therefore approximately 1.13-1.30/4400th * weight in kg of the body's natural radioactivity.

That's not meant as a dig, apologies for being unclear. We studied radiation in school physics. Apha, beta gamma particles.

Teacher Mr Fleet carefully extracted the radioactive source from its box with tweezers, and ran it past the geiger counter. He then showed that bricks, bananas and peanuts were radioactive. He then tested us. When he got to my watch (dads WWII service issue luminous) it went off scale.

They ought to standardise the units they use when talking about radiation. As Ibadaki is saying it just becomes gobbledegook because no-one can remember all the different units used.

(e.g. "X of unit Y per time-period Z")

The units are standardised. The SI units are these:

The SI unit: 1 becquerel = 1 disintegration per second. That is the radioactivity of any given substance.

The dose equivalent is a measure of biological effect for whole body irradiation. The SI unit for the effect of radiation on the body is the seivert.

Becquerels are measured. You can use a geiger counter for that. That is why the children's piss is reported in becquerels.

Seiverts are calculated. We don't know what radiation dose these children have received until someone has done the calculations. I'm not holding my breath for a green NGO to do that.

Spot on g-g. The reporting is utterly meaningless to everyone except dweebs and sad people like me.

We have a problem.

The problem is the people who are paid money to report what is going on don't have a freaking clue. No-one in the mainstream media know anything about science. That's why they can't explain it clearly. The route into journalism is humanities and meeja studies. Nothing wrong with that, unless if you want to know slightly more than fashion and royal weddings.

If you want some real information, my suggestion is you start with The register. http://www.theregister.co.uk/

Go to science or odds and sods. There's no agenda here except tech.

An alternative is The Economist.

I didn't do Physics at school, I did Biology and Chemistry. Wasn't interested in Chemistry so dumped that for my final 2 years. Out of interest, what do they need in order to calculate the sievert dose?