Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

Originally Posted By: smostyn
This is not Tepco’s fault, it was the Tsunami and the earthquakes that have caused this. In my opinion, we shouldn’t lose sight of that. Why do we need to blame someone?

No-one is to blame for the natural disaster.
But surely can we not blame Tepco for their growing list of mistakes and seemingly disregard for anyone but themselves?
And are you ok with all the other nuclear stations going with their current specs? Should they be built on active fault lines? Or on the coast that is likely sometime to see a tsunami. And should not precautions be created based on extremely unlikely situations, given the danger they pose in a very worst case?
Originally Posted By: Metabo Oyaji
Aftershocks seem to have picked up a bit over the past few days. Nothing notable, though.

Yes looking at that list, there are still lots going on hey.
Originally Posted By: griller
Originally Posted By: Metabo Oyaji
Aftershocks seem to have picked up a bit over the past few days. Nothing notable, though.

Yes looking at that list, there are still lots going on hey.

Kind of wonder if I have not just become more attuned to the sound and sensation, though. Maybe things I might previously have passed off as wind or a truck, weren't. confused

me too Rob........I read on with "bemusement" at that moniker, never heard that. At least there are some sensible comments below saying what a load of utter shite the story is

you gotta love the ganbaru spirit on OAP's in this country, if this were the UK, they'd be no danger they'd volunteer

Quote:
Yasuteru Yamada said people from all walks of life were welcome to join the group

Continue reading the main story

Japan quake

The Skilled Veterans Corps, as they call themselves, is made up of retired engineers and other professionals, all over the age of 60.

They say they should be facing the dangers of radiation, not the young.

It was while watching the television news that Yasuteru Yamada decided it was time for his generation to stand up.

No longer could he be just an observer of the struggle to stabilise the Fukushima nuclear plant.

The retired engineer is reporting back for duty at the age of 72, and he is organising a team of pensioners to go with him.

For weeks now Mr Yamada has been getting back in touch with old friends, sending out e-mails and even messages on Twitter.

Volunteering to take the place of younger workers at the power station is not brave, Mr Yamada says, but logical.

Mr Yamada has been getting back in touch with old friends via e-mail and even messages on Twitter

"I am 72 and on average I probably have 13 to 15 years left to live," he says.

"Even if I were exposed to radiation, cancer could take 20 or 30 years or longer to develop. Therefore us older ones have less chance of getting cancer."

Mr Yamada is lobbying the government hard for his volunteers to be allowed into the power station. The government has expressed gratitude for the offer but is cautious.

Certainly a couple of MPs are supporting Mr Yamada.

"At this moment I can say that I am talking with many key government and Tepco people. But I am sorry I can't say any more at this moment. It is on the way but it is a very, very sensitive issue politically," he said.

Certainly it is likely more workers will be needed.

The plant is still spewing radiation, nearly three months after an earthquake and tsunami knocked out its cooling systems, triggering explosions.

Its operator, Tepco, has now confirmed three of the reactors probably suffered meltdowns.

The plan is to bring the plant to a cold shutdown by January, although some experts believe that is over optimistic.

To cope with the disaster Japan has raised the radiation exposure limit for emergency workers from 100 millisieverts to 250 millisieverts.

But Tepco announced this week two workers at Fukushima might have already been exposed to more.

Kamikaze?

Many of Mr Yamada's veterans are retired engineers like him.

Michio Ito is keen to swap his apron for a radiation suit

Others are former power station workers, experts in factory design - and even a singer and two cooks - Mr Yamada says they will be useful to keep his team amused and fed.

Michio Ito used to be a primary school teacher but is spending his retirement helping out in a cafe that offers work experience to people with learning difficulties.

He is keen to swap his apron for a radiation suit.

"I don't think I'm particularly special," he says. "Most Japanese have this feeling in their heart. The question is whether you step forward, or you stay behind and watch.

"To take that step you need a lot of guts, but I hope it will be a great experience. Most Japanese want to help out any way they can."

Mr Yamada has already tried on his old overalls for size.

He says he is as fit as ever - with a lifetime of experience to bring to the task.

And he laughs off suggestions his proposed team is comparable to the kamikaze pilots who flew suicide missions in World War II.

"We are not kamikaze. The kamikaze were something strange, no risk management there. They were going to die. But we are going to come back. We have to work but never die."

Two stars of New York's Metropolitan Opera have bowed out of a tour of Japan, citing fears of radiation from the Fukushima nuclear plant.

Soprano Anna Netrebko and tenor Joseph Calleja announced at the last minute they would not join the tour, despite assurances they would be safe.

In a statement, the Met said it had been forced to "scramble" to find replacement stars.

The Japanese earthquake and tsunami of 11 March left around 25,000 dead.

It crippled the Fukushima plant north of Tokyo, leading to radiation leaks.

The Met said it had brought in an expert on radiation to reassure members of the company.

But Russian-born Netrebko remained unconvinced, the Met attributing her decision to "the emotional weight of having also lived through the tragedy of Chernobyl".

"She didn't feel that she would be able to present her best performances and didn't want to disappoint her Japanese fans," its statement continued.

Calleja, the Met added, "also had last-minute misgivings about performing in Japan at this time."

Soprano Marina Poplavskaya has been released from a concert in Paris to join the tour, which runs from 4 to 19 June.

Tenors Marcelo Alvarez, Rolando Villazon and Alexey Dolgov will replace Calleja and Germany's Jonas Kauffmann, who withdrew from the tour last month.

"Part of what makes opera such an exciting art form is that it is so unpredictable," said the Met's general manager Peter Gelb on Tuesday.

"If there were a rationality clause in opera singers' contracts, not many opera singers would perform."

The Vienna Boys Choir, the Lyon Orchestra and the Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra are among several organisations to have cancelled concerts in Japan in the wake of the disaster.

Yet not all artists have stayed away. Last month opera giant Placido Domingo performed in Japan, later donating $200,000 (£121,000) to relief efforts.

There was another catastrophic earthquake in Blackpool, England, on Friday. The shaker, measuring a whopping M1.5 follows the devastating M2.5 tremblor in April.

Is that sensational enough?

Yeah I heard that they cancelled the Thursday Night Karaoke down at the Pig & Whistle on Blackpool Promenade, Alfie Taylor (Local karaoke king) felt he couldn't possibly perform in case another earthquake occurred while he was performing and knock the fag out his mouth and burned his tweed suit! He only has 1 suit!

Apparently the Blackpool disaster might have come about due to some drilling that has been going on.

Quote:
THE company drilling for shale gas on the Fylde coast has stopped its controversial “fracking†programme after an earthquake hit the Fylde.

Cuadrilla Resources began hydro-fracking – sending water and chemicals thousands of feet underground to break rock and release gas – in Weeton last week.

But the company has now halted the process while investigations are made into what caused yesterday’s earthquake, which measured 2.2 on the Richter Scale.

The British Geological Survey (BGS) immediately launched an investigation.

A spokesman for Cuadrilla said: “No fracking operations were taking place at the time of the earthquake.

33884111.jpg

Sure looks scary.

Hydraulic fracturing has been standard practice in the oil industry for about 60 years. The only "controversial" about it is the potential to open up a major new source of inexpensive energy. Thus the reference to "chemicals". In the game, it is known as drilling mud.