Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

I was in north eastern Chiba on the day it all happened. Certainly the biggest and most persistance earthquake experience I have had. They just kept on coming and coming, almost as if it would never stop. Still getting them though thankfully not as often and not that strong for the most part, latest I felt was yesterday.

The UK is what is known as "aseismic". Plate tectonics don't affect that part of the world. The only significant activity is associated with the Great Glen Fault, where the NW of Scotland is moving towards Ireland. It's been doing that for the past 500 million years or so, and seems in no hurry to get there.

Aseismic doesn't mean "no seismic". The Earth's crust isn't fixed, it is constantly in motion. For example, earth tides, due to the influence of sun and moon are measurable. The whole of the northern and central UK is still rising in response to the removal of the ice sheet at the end of the last glacial. Southern UK is sinking due to isostatic rebound. These minor tremors are common, and a sign of crustal adjustment. Fracking may release them, but doesn't cause them.

I could murder a good pie.

Strong earthquake in Chuetsu Niigata once again about an hour ago. Strongest here in Tokamachi, shindo 5 strong. Scary. Looks like it is pretty much the same place as the ones in the last few months starting March 12th, so perhaps it can be called an aftershock.

sadface

Good.

Just on the news now they seem to be calling it as an aftershock from Mar 12th. Which I suppose is good news, wouldn't want somewhere else kicking off as well.

I was in Tsunan...... strong one!

Strongest shaking seems to be around the junction of 117 and 353 (the road coming over from Minamiuonuma), officially in Tokamachi but very close to the border with Nagano. It was on the news a bit of damage over there.

Originally Posted By: soubriquet
The only significant activity is associated with the Great Glen Fault, where the NW of Scotland is moving towards Ireland. It's been doing that for the past 500 million years or so, and seems in no hurry to get there.

I think the Green half of Glasgow is desperate to get over there! wink
Originally Posted By: scouser
Can I have your business class flight back pie-eater. I'm brave! wink

lol

Sorry to hear about Niigata rumbling on there.

You're right.

I think the north Nagano one on 12th March would have got a lot more attention had there been no 11th. Fair bit of damage done over in Sakae, Tokamachi and Nozzle.

Originally Posted By: iiyamadude
Strongest shaking seems to be around the junction of 117 and 353 (the road coming over from Minamiuonuma), officially in Tokamachi but very close to the border with Nagano. It was on the news a bit of damage over there.

Basically, Nakasato area?
Originally Posted By: joshnii
Originally Posted By: iiyamadude

Basically, Nakasato area?

Yes.

Some interesting news here:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/05/2...ict-earthquake/

"Italian Seismologists Charged With Manslaughter for Not Predicting 2009 Quake

Italian government officials have accused the country's top seismologist of manslaughter, after failing to predict a natural disaster that struck Italy in 2009, a massive devastating earthquake that killed 308 people.

A shocked spokesman for the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) likened the accusations to a witch hunt.

"It has a medieval flavor to it -- like witches are being put on trial," the stunned spokesman told FoxNews.com.

Enzo Boschi, the president of Italy's National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology (INGV), will face trial along with six other scientists and technicians, after failing to predict the future and the impending disaster.

Earthquakes are, of course, nearly impossible to predict, seismologists say. In fact, according to the website for the USGS, no major quake has ever been predicted successfully.

"Neither the USGS nor Caltech nor any other scientists have ever predicted a major earthquake," reads a statement posted on the USGS website. "They do not know how, and they do not expect to know how any time in the foreseeable future."

(continues)

Amazing. Unbelievable, except the Italian justice system does like to go after people. Williams faced about 10 years of proceedings after Senna's death, and Colin Chapman was never able to return to Italy after Jochen Rindt was killed in a Lotus at Monza.

I saw that, it was good.

Sounds like there were actually a lot of people not confident in what they were doing and making a lot of cockups too.

Caught that too, it was interesting and for a change not noisy and no quiz but a serious documentary. It said part 1 so I presume next week (or today, haven't checked) there's more.

There's going to be some sort of documentary on Discovery about the Japan quake as well soon, next week I think it said.

Some interesting news here:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/05/2...ict-earthquake/

"Italian Seismologists Charged With Manslaughter for Not Predicting 2009 Quake

Italian government officials have accused the country's top seismologist of manslaughter, after failing to predict a natural disaster that struck Italy in 2009, a massive devastating earthquake that killed 308 people.

A shocked spokesman for the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) likened the accusations to a witch hunt.

"It has a medieval flavor to it -- like witches are being put on trial," the stunned spokesman told FoxNews.com.

Enzo Boschi, the president of Italy's National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology (INGV), will face trial along with six other scientists and technicians, after failing to predict the future and the impending disaster.

Earthquakes are, of course, nearly impossible to predict, seismologists say. In fact, according to the website for the USGS, no major quake has ever been predicted successfully.

"Neither the USGS nor Caltech nor any other scientists have ever predicted a major earthquake," reads a statement posted on the USGS website. "They do not know how, and they do not expect to know how any time in the foreseeable future."

(continues)

Amazing. Unbelievable, except the Italian justice system does like to go after people. Williams faced about 10 years of proceedings after Senna's death, and Colin Chapman was never able to return to Italy after Jochen Rindt was killed in a Lotus at Monza.

Almost too silly to be true.
Don't these people have better things to do.
Re: mamabear

"There must be a number of people from those area's that have lost more people than they can count on all their fingers and toes. Too painful to bear thinking about :("

There is a continuing series of utterly harrowing stories (and some uplifting) coming from the East Coast. Schools full of children who survived but lost both parents.

An alternative is a retired engineer in Iwate, who didn't rate the evacuation procedures in his community. He built a staircase up the cliff behind his home at his own expense. He and over 70 of his neighbours survived.

WOW! Inspirational story. Perhaps this kind of thing will be more commonplace in any rebuild?

What happens to all those children Soubs?
Are they taken in by other family or housed in orphanages? Does Japan have a lot of people fostering/adopting?

Is it Minami Sanriku, one of those towns that were almost destroyed? On the news just now they still have only 3% back on water supply. Going to be a long long road ahead for lots of people. Very sad.