Earthquake/tsunami in Tohoku, North East Japan (11th March 2011)

Sad that, how every aspect of peoples live have been screwed by something so totally out of their control. The memsahib and I have often reflected on the effect it has on businesses such as hers. She's spent a lifetime building something out of nothing, and there is no way we could ever re-start. Just too much time and effort.

We still plan for a major aftershock. We have water stored. I keep 10 litres of petrol in a can in the garage, and we never let the cars drop below half full.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More please!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HrO2H4Sraw   You'd think they might put in some of the overly loud throat noises and he would do a big "ahhhhhhhhhh" at the end. Come on, where's th

We would feel a major aftershock for sure but it would not be that bad over there, if the main one on March 11th was anything to go by.

But I do have a number of torches in the house handy, spare batteries, and a few supplies in the genkan and garage just as a precaution for whatever nature deals us.

Quote:
Covers for nuclear reactors to use dome stadium technologies
NATIONAL JUN. 27, 2011 - 05:00PM JST ( 16 ) TOKYO —
A combination of Japanese traditional post-and-beam construction methods and cutting-edge dome stadium technologies will be used in building giant covers for three damaged reactor buildings at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power complex, Kyodo News learned Monday

Pie eater, was it you who suggested this months ago?

Yes, Black Mountain I did, earlier in this mega-thread.

It took me a while to understand why they can't just cool the thingymujigs down with some cold water, but once I got that I was definitely the one who came up with the dome idea.

Here were some of my earlier suggestions

Quote:
Flippin ek how much water do they need to cool these nuclear sticks down? Can't they just get tons of ice and shove it in there?

Quote:
I might have another solution.

They have been talking of this being a bit like a kettle.

Well, once my water boils, it turns off. I can also take out the plug.

I hope they have tried that.

But Rob kept on shouting down my well thought out theories.

After lots of this...

5b15176e.jpg

I came up with it...

Quote:
Can't they just cover it all with some kind of giant protective cool-looking dome thingy, like they would in the movies?

(Admittedly I haven't thought that theory out in detail)

It's all there in this thread.

wink

Thank you Chriselle.

It's all just based in logic I think.

I will continue to brainstorm and see if I have any further ideas that would be of use.

wink

OK I have had another brainwave.

The other day while I swimming in a pool of my own sweat, I bought a few thingies that are supposed to cool you down to try them out and see if they had any effect.

Here's one.....

k1526829187.jpg

You spray it on your shirt before putting it on. And it cools you down. Not only that, it smells of mint.

And the other one....

l.jpg

This one is a body gel that you rub on that keeps you cool. And it also smells a bit minty.

It occurred to me that perhaps they could douse "Fukushima" with one, or even both, of these fine products.

That way it would surely cool down promptly.

And not only that, but it would smell nice and minty too. Which would be nice.

BUT the hole in your well found logic, is that you are meant to spray it on BEFORE.....if only Tepco had included this spray in their pre-earthquake/tsunami safety features!! doh

I'm sur ethey will from now on though!

Quote:
æ±äº¬é›»åŠ›ã¯ï¼“ï¼æ—¥ã€ç¦å³¶ç¬¬ä¸€åŽŸå­åŠ›ç™ºé›»æ‰€ã®é«˜æ¿ƒåº¦æ±šæŸ“水浄化処ç†è£…ç½®ãŒï¼’9日夕ã«åœæ­¢ã—ãŸåŽŸå› ã¯ã€ä½œæ¥­å“¡ãŒå¼ã®é–‹é–‰ã‚’手動ã‹ã‚‰è‡ªå‹•ã«åˆ‡ã‚Šæ›¿ãˆã‚‹ã®ã‚’忘れã¦ã„ãŸãŸã‚ã ã£ãŸã¨ç™ºè¡¨ã—ãŸã€‚

Does that translate as "someone cocked up"?

Apparently the quake this morning in Nagano is close to the Gofukujo (?) active fault - one of the "danger faults".

Hate to bring worrying news but...

長野県æ¾æœ¬å¸‚ã§éœ‡åº¦ï¼•å¼·ã‚’観測ã—ãŸä»Šå›žã®åœ°éœ‡ã®éœ‡æºã¯ã€å›½å†…ã®æ´»æ–­å±¤ã®ä¸­ã§ã‚‚地震ã®ç™ºç”Ÿç¢ºçŽ‡ãŒé«˜ã„「牛ä¼å¯ºã”ãµãã˜æ–­å±¤å¸¯ã€ã‹ã‚‰ï¼“~4キロã—ã‹é›¢ã‚Œã¦ã„ãªã„。

気象åºã§ã¯ã€Œé–¢é€£ã¯åˆ†ã‹ã‚‰ãªã„ãŒã€ç‰›ä¼å¯ºæ–­å±¤å¸¯ã§ã®åœ°éœ‡ã«ã‚‚æ°—ã‚’ã¤ã‘ã¦ã»ã—ã„ã€ã¨ã—ã¦ã„る。

国ã®åœ°éœ‡èª¿æŸ»å§”員会ã§ã¯ã€ã“ã®æ–­å±¤å¸¯ã‚’å«ã‚€åœ°å¸¯ã§ï¼“ï¼å¹´ä»¥å†…ã«ãƒžã‚°ãƒ‹ãƒãƒ¥ãƒ¼ãƒ‰ï¼˜ç´šã®åœ°éœ‡ãŒèµ·ãã‚‹å¯èƒ½æ€§ã‚’14%ã¨è©•ä¾¡ã€‚ãã®ã†ãˆã€æ±æ—¥æœ¬å¤§éœ‡ç½ã§æ—¥æœ¬åˆ—島ã«åŠ ã‚る力ãŒå¤§ãã変化ã—ãŸã“ã¨ã‹ã‚‰ã€ä»Šæœˆï¼™æ—¥ã«ã€Œåœ°éœ‡ã®ç™ºç”Ÿç¢ºçŽ‡ã¯é«˜ã¾ã£ã¦ã„ã‚‹ã€ã¨ã®è¦‹è§£ã‚’出ã—ã¦ã„る。

Originally Posted By: big-will
Quote:
æ±äº¬é›»åŠ›ã¯ï¼“ï¼æ—¥ã€ç¦å³¶ç¬¬ä¸€åŽŸå­åŠ›ç™ºé›»æ‰€ã®é«˜æ¿ƒåº¦æ±šæŸ“水浄化処ç†è£…ç½®ãŒï¼’9日夕ã«åœæ­¢ã—ãŸåŽŸå› ã¯ã€ä½œæ¥­å“¡ãŒå¼ã®é–‹é–‰ã‚’手動ã‹ã‚‰è‡ªå‹•ã«åˆ‡ã‚Šæ›¿ãˆã‚‹ã®ã‚’忘れã¦ã„ãŸãŸã‚ã ã£ãŸã¨ç™ºè¡¨ã—ãŸã€‚

Does that translate as "someone cocked up"?

Had the good lady read through it (not me). That seems like a very good translation. Valve not set from manual to automatic.