This happened to a friend just the other day.

The story needs to get out there.

I had never heard of such things before this happened, but it appears to be common. I was naive and stupid about the dangers. Just to clarify exactly what happened to myself and my girlfriend, so you can hear it from the horses mouth so to speak.

I didn't receive anything for the $5k that was taken, that I am 100% certain of. I certainly was not looking for sex or anything like that, I was with my girlfriend and we were just out for an hour or 2 of fun on our last night. The african guy said we would get to drink whatever we like for 1 hour. We paid him around 3000 to 4000, that I remember, but not much else. We only intended to have a few drinks and go home. We had only had about 5 drinks over 3 hours before we met the african guy, so we werent drunk.

I honestly think we went in had our first drink spiked and passed out for several hours. I have a vague memory of me throwing up into a glass and feeling way out of it and being told everything was ok, I think thats when I passed out, but I dont really remember entering or leaving the club and I dont know if that memory is real. After waking up, we were probably forced to make several credit transactions though I remember nothing really. I know we left the apartment at around 10:30pm and the credit transaction was made around 4am. What happened in those 6 hours I have no idea, but I doubt we were conscious. I think I remember being made to sign a receipt and being told I must get the signature right or we werent leaving, but once again I dont know what is fact or fiction. I do remember for certain making it to the front of the the hotel and being incredibly relieved that we were back. I think we were lead back as we cant have made it home on our own. I dont remember going up to my room or anything else until 8am, when we were both still under the influence. Its like my brain has remembered only the traumatic events where I was scrambling for consciousness - throwing up, being made to pay, making it home - everything else is gone. At 9am we got out of bed and were both violently ill for the whole day, vomitting, barely able to move - we had to make it to the airport and the only way we were doing that was in a taxi....not cheap. Check-in we managed to pull ourselves together and we luckliy were able to get on our flight home.

Incredibly scary and I am really shaken up about it. I'm not ashamed to say I burst into tears last night when I was alone, but it does help hearing other peoples stories and knowing that I'm not the only one. I guess things could be worse and I should focus on the positives. I'll certainly be warning anyone who tells me they are going to party in Tokyo.

If something like this does happen you should contact the Australian Embassy and the Japanese Metro Police. Get a drug test ASAP as this may help identify what you have been given and also help with the banks believing your story. Making a statement to Police in your own country is also advisable. Although the police aren't likely to be able to do much, making a police statement adds more weight to your version of events and once again, this may help with the banks investigation.....at least I am hoping these things help with me getting my money back. I'll let you all know how it goes.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the US embassy website.

Quote:
Concerns Regarding Roppongi and other Entertainment and Nightlife Districts:

Roppongi is an entertainment district in Tokyo that caters to foreign clientele and is considered a high-risk area for crime, particularly misappropriation of credit card information in bars to make fraudulent credit card charges. Other high-risk areas for crime in the Tokyo area include Shinjuku; especially the area of Kabuki-cho, Shibuya, and Ikebukuro. However, you should use caution in all entertainment and nightlife districts throughout Japan. Incidents involving U.S. citizens since the spring of 2008 in these areas include physical and sexual assaults, drug overdoses, theft of purses, wallets, cash and credit cards at bars or clubs, and drugs allegedly slipped into drinks.

Drink-spiking has routinely led to robbery and has also resulted in physical and sexual assaults. In most drink-spiking reports, the victim unknowingly drinks a beverage that has been mixed with a drug that makes the victim unconscious or dazed for several hours, during which time the victim’s credit card is used for large purchases or the card is stolen. Some victims regain consciousness in the bar or club; other victims may awaken on the street. Several U.S. citizens have also reported being charged exorbitant bar tabs in some bars and clubs in Roppongi and other entertainment and nightlife districts. Please be aware that Roppongi and other entertainment and nightlife districts have also been the scene of violence between criminal syndicates in the past.

We urge you to keep these incidents in mind and use caution in all entertainment areas and nightlife districts.

Best advice is to not follow any shady African guys back to any bar. And if you do make this simple mistake use cash only and don't buy drinks for any sexy little Japanese girl that suddenly appears to find you fascinating (best not to have any yourself unless you can pay per drink either). You'll find those couple of glasses of ginger ale you bought her and the few beers you had end up costing you 100's of dollars with some huge black guy forcing you to go to an ATM if you can't afford it (where they'll probably skim your card or just make you get as much cash out as your card can take). Or they'll just spike your drink and whilst you're passed out clean out all your cards.

Whenever I have gone to Roppongi I make a point of leaving all cards at home. Cash only..

It's kinda fun messin with the Nigerians but would never, EVER trust them....or anyone else in Roppongi for that matter. Fun times though... groovy

That sounds terrible for the people involved. I hope they can get some of their money back and get over the experience.

For Tokyo, avoid touts like GN says. And if you wander into a bar with women talking to customers at every table, best off walking out. Some will reassure you that there is no extra charge and then still try to fleece you come time to leave.

This really only occurs in a few renowned areas of Tokyo and if you're aware of it you shouldn't have a problem at all. Above all else though never ever trust a Nigerian! (unless of course they offer you a cut to assist in transferring money out of their country razz )

That's a terrible thing to happen, but these things can be avoided - don't go to any girly bars for a start, don't go to places where you have a tab, decide for yourself where you want to go and don't let anybody take you anywhere - especially not some Nigerian. With a bit of common sense, you can generally tell when somewhere is dodgy.

I'd advise anybody to stay away from most of Roppongi full stop. For the most part its cheesy, tacky, unsophisticated, and expensive and its usually a sausage party anyway. There are much, much better places to go drinking and partying in Tokyo.

This was in Shinjuku not in Roppongi.

The American Embassy said that this is becoming more of a problem and has advised Americans about it. The Australian embassy said that this

is now reported almost everyday.

When you walk down the road and see a doorway shaped like a vagina, it makes you wonder why they built Roppongi Hills there anyway.

In fairness, many good (in my opinion) bars in Japan run a tab system. Almost all of the authentically Japanese ones do. As we all know, some bars will also tack on a table charge, which isn't always clear. Maybe that's another reason folks like the sound of touts offering 2000 drink all you can.

All such areas all over the world have their dangers, not just Tokyo and I'm surprised this still happens to people. If it's too good to be true it will be. Maybe its because I have met and befriended in some instances a lot of dodgy people over the years but my radar for trouble is pretty attuned. Following Nigerians in Tokyo has all the haul marks of trouble and no disrespect to your friends Rider, but it sounds like they got off pretty lightly. At least they didnt wake up in a bath full of ice with a freshly sutured wound and only one kidney.

You have come up with more than your fair share of great comments yourself, 'rider69'. Kettle, pot, black and all that...

But regardless of that, I don't think I'd put myself in such a situation. But people do need to be wary of stuff like this.

So one or two incidents make Japan no longer a safe country?

While I do feel sorry for your friend's ordeal, would they have followed a strange guy they had never met in their hometown? Japan is safer than other countries but noone has ever said it is 100% safe.

the first few sentences tell its own story..."Followed an African guy into a bar.....". I'm sure there are plenty of trustworthy Africans, just not the ones who work in Roppongi or Kabuki-cho!! Stay away from these places, plenty other great areas to drink in in Tokyo, these 2 are shitholes that are made for ripping tourists off

The Austrailian Governments warning on Japan. The stats reported by the Japanese embassy in Australia were in the number of about 2000 Aussies a year are falling victim to this scam, so it is more than 1 or 2. To a person on vacation in Japan good luck finding the right bar on your one night out. This person knows they made a mistake and is trying to let people know that this does happen. They were knocked out with drugs for more than 5 hours.

The Australia travel warning.

Crime

Japan generally has a low rate of crime. However, there is an increased incidence of drink spiking at bars and other entertainment venues, often resulting in credit card theft and assault. If possible, you should avoid carrying your credit cards when you are visiting nightclubs in entertainment districts.

Sporadic incidents of bag snatching and pickpocketing of foreigners in crowded shopping areas, on trains and at airports have occurred. Credit card and ATM fraud can occur in Japan. If you are suspicious of any items that are stuck to ATMs or look unusual, do not use the machine.

Right bar??? - look inside 1st. It should be free to get in. If you want cheap drinks get smashed in your room before you go out. Is the bar full of Japanese people having a good time, lots of the fairer sex but dressed like they are out and not at work, cross section of ages - that's normally a good start. Even better if they are selling food and all the staff say hi when you walk in.

Nigerian tout, run Forrest run.

If you worried about everything you saw on the Foreign Affairs site you wouldn't leave the home. I feel Australia is more dangerous then Japan, maybe its just a perception. As an obvious tourist with no english skills would you just walk into a King's Cross bar and expect no prob's???