• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry guys. I have way more compassion than you have.

If I was doing the adult bar hopping thing instead of tucking tired little guys into a warm bed by 9pm, then I could very easily have been taken in by this kind of a scam without before having heard this story.

Perhaps lacking a bit of common sense, yeah, but I am a naive and trusting individual who is never looking for the bad in people. I am sure there are more people like me in the world. So a warning going out with the intention of saving other trusting souls from the same criminal and dangerous behavior is a good thing.

Best to encourage such disclosure for the enlightenment of others than to shame it underground where no one gets to hear the story and then more innocent and trusting souls risk their lives and lose lots of cash and faith in humanity.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
I could very easily have been taken in by this kind of a scam without before having heard this story.

Really, Mamabear? I mean, REALLY?
In a foreign country? Accosted by African guy - in Japan - who offers you stuff? You follow him to that bar?

I do feel sorry for people being ripped and put into danger, and it is good to hear about it, but that really is a silly thing to do.

I'm with Mama all the way here. If they don't apply to you, then great, but there are enough of these stories to justify the warnings.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume all of the incidents involve touts. Wandering into the some of the same places would be effectively the same. The bar will be in on it for sure.

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
I wouldn't be so quick to assume all of the incidents involve touts.

Lets hear some more of this particular story then.
Where did they meet this dude?
How did they get into the bar?
We seem to be missing that part of the story - and surely that is a very important part of it.

Quote:
I didn't receive anything for the $5k that was taken, that I am 100% certain of. I certainly was not looking for sex or anything like that, I was with my girlfriend and we were just out for an hour or 2 of fun on our last night. The african guy said we would get to drink whatever we like for 1 hour. We paid him around 3000 to 4000

MB - I wish I could more women like you preferably single though and not on this forum, that way they might even believe my lame pick up lines. smile smile smile

By the way that's not an issue now that I have Stinky as a wing man.

Look...probably not accosted by an African guy no...

BUT

If I was out for a good time with some friends, and had had a few drinks already, and was wandering down a street looking for the next stop, enjoying the atmosphere...

...and there was a black African (or pink zulu, or green maori..race is not likely to factor for me) standing out in the street hawking his bar 'come inside my friend, very welcoming to Aussies in here, cheap drinks tonight' - I would likely take that at face value.

Some of the best restaurants I have eaten at abroad have been from street spruking.

I was also married at 20, a Mum by 22, and too poor between 18 and 22 to spend a lot of time night clubbing ... perhaps I am still on my street smarts P plates.

But the bottom line is people learn either by their mistakes or the mistakes of others. This is too serious an issue to shame the sharing of this story into the shadows.

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
I wouldn't be so quick to assume all of the incidents involve touts. Wandering into the some of the same places would be effectively the same. The bar will be in on it for sure.

Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
Right bar??? - look inside 1st. It should be free to get in. If you want cheap drinks get smashed in your room before you go out. Is the bar full of Japanese people having a good time, lots of the fairer sex but dressed like they are out and not at work, cross section of ages - that's normally a good start. Even better if they are selling food and all the staff say hi when you walk in.

C'mon folks its not that hard to stay out of trouble. Bad things happen ALL over the world. If you are traveling you are vulnerable, be prepared - THINK!!

This whole thing is like warning all Japanese resorts are over run by Aussies acting badly when that really seems to happen in one place now, although is starting to at a second.
Originally Posted By: SKI
No-one's deleting the thing!
Lets not get overly dramatic.

Its not overly dramatic Ski.
Sometimes we need to think about what we say, because even though it is on the anonymous world wide web people have feelings and words have an impact.
I did not know this stuff went on. I am sure my 17 yr old son doesn't know either. He arrives home in 36hrs, but will be heading back to Japan for SURE over the next few years. He will be looking for party time just like the fellow in this story (who happens to be a lovely guy) - I am glad to have heard the story, so I can share it with my son. Hopefully he will then learn from the unfortunate young snow enthusiasts experience and not have to live through it himself.
I think he was brave to share his story.

I'm usually a pretty trusting person but when I'm overseas and don't know a place, I think I am perhaps even too wary the other way. I sure wouldn't be brought into a bar in Roppongi.

But, of course good to hear the stories that people should be aware of these things.

No-one's deleting the thing!
Lets not get overly dramatic.

Its not overly dramatic Ski.
Sometimes we need to think about what we say, because even though it is on the anonymous world wide web people have feelings and words have an impact.
I did not know this stuff went on. I am sure my 17 yr old son doesn't know either. He arrives home in 36hrs, but will be heading back to Japan for SURE over the next few years. He will be looking for party time just like the fellow in this story (who happens to be a lovely guy) - I am glad to have heard the story, so I can share it with my son. Hopefully he will then learn from the unfortunate young snow enthusiasts experience and not have to live through it himself.
I think he was brave to share his story.

I would personally think that young people being in a foreign country that they do not know... not being led into some party bar..... is common sense, I really do. There must be millions of examples of something bad happening with things like that. Stuff like this really has to be one of the 'not to do's things on a check list in a country you know little or nothing about.

I'm not saying that it isn't terrible what happened to them, of course.

Loads of folks my age went to raves by following strange people into some very very strange places. It's not something that deserves a trip to the cashpoint with some heavies. I've not travelled for years but almost everyone I've met who went backpacking in the 90s will have some story about being inadvertently taken to a carpet/gem/trinket shop by some overly friendly (in hindsight) local in India/Thailand/wherever. I can't imagine myself on that kind of holiday myself, but tens of thousands of Brits will follow touts into bars in Magaluf, Ibiza, Benidorm and all those places. Normally its for something like a free bottle of Sambuca with a double round, not a drugging and a mugging.

As for this type of crime, I'm only suggesting that people don't assume the worst of every single victim.

And all those loads of folk make their decision knowing the potential risks of doing things like that.

I would suggest that things might have also gotten a but more 'dangerous' as they years go on with that type of thing. I know I certainly wouldn't do some of the things I did at college now, and that's not just because I'm 20 years older either.

And all those loads of folk make their decision knowing the potential risks of doing things like that.

Not all.
There is an assumption that people automatically have some kind of filter hard wired in to know that if they do x then disastrous y will happen.
Not the case.
A child only learns not to stick their hand in the fire if they do it once and it hurts or if someone cares enough to teach them.
People who have little experience in these area's and with these people need someone who cares enough to share the story. Hell. I have never even BEEN to a rave party. I am not a prude, or a wowser, and I wanna go have a drink like the next person, but my lack of experience would make me more vulnerable to this kind of nasty stuff.

Just like a young girl who was flirting didn't ask to be raped, so someone out for a good night out with his girl in Roppongi didn't asked to be drugged and fleeced.
The wrong doers in this story are the crims.
Quote:
There is an assumption that people automatically have some kind of filter hard wired in to know that if they do x then disastrous y will happen.

No there isn't.
Parents have a part to teach/guide children.
Do you teach your children 'common sense'? It's not something that's mapped out is it?
Interested to hear the thoughts of those bringing up children as I'm not in that situation.
friend

The wrong doers in this story are the crims.

Obviously.

Who is suggesting otherwise? confused

Must say I have never had any problems like that anywhere, but then I never go to bars like that and no one would ever make me go to a place I don't want to go either, that is for sure.

At the end of the day we need to use our common sense when we are out and about in somewhere like Roppongi or Kabukicho, or anywhere like that for that matter.

But of course for some when they are just out for a good / cheap time out I guess they let other things get in the way of their common sense.

No matter where we live this sort of thing is going to happen and does happen.