The soft powder seems to be going away, plus photo album from last Saturday

Damn, looking at the weather forecast it looks like the soft powder is going away. Here in Hakkoda we have been experiencing March weather for the better part of february eyes. No biggie, time to break out the snow shoes and start dropping the bigger mountains on the back of the range groovy

Last Saturday it was magical; 30cm of new snow after a dry spell. If you knew were to find it you could be on over a meter of drifted fresh powder. Good memories, good shots with the gopro-on-a-stick. The videos will have to wait (it takes forever to process those) but here are some snaps. Some day I'll remember to resize before uploading...

Surfing the wave

yamabushi_18.jpg

Stumping it:

yamabushi_16.jpg

Surfing the wave part II

yamabushi_19.jpg

Making a break for freedom. My buddy wasn't so lucky, the net had other plans for him...

yamabushi_21.jpg

yamabushi_22.jpg

Full speed ahead

yamabushi_20.jpg

It doesn't slow you down if you are going fast enough

yamabushi_26.jpg

yamabushi_27.jpg

Yes, I'm happy to see you

yamabushi_24.jpg

yamabushi_23.jpg

grinning.

yamabushi_25.jpg

Hang in there kitty!

yamabushi_28.jpg

At the end of my years, these are the memories that will give me that warm and fuzzy feeling biggrin

Hey Yama! Looks great. We ride the exact same board! I'm about to start a month long vacation and I'm thinking about heading up your way. Can you hook up some time in March for a few turns?

BTW, which monopod are you using? I have a slik 350ex but bent it last weekend after landing on it during a jump last weekend. Thinking about getting another one but don't really want another slik because it is a bit too heavy.

I'm using a Black Diamond pole, with a piece of hardware from Homac that I rigged into a camera mount (been meaning to post pics of my setup for some time now). The great thing about Black Diamond poles is that they stock replacement parts even on the models that are out of production. Last year I broke the bottom shaft on that pole, the replacement shaft cost me $14.95.

I'm gonna be in Tokyo March 10~14, and I'm still trying to make it to Asahidake sometime in March. If i'm here, I'll be happy to hook up. Keep in mind that things are looking rather warm; it would be more like spring backcountry :\

Didn't you say you have been to Asahidake? Care to go back there? biggrin

Damn, private messages are not working...

I was planning on going with friends that changed their minds at the last minute... So, I just emailed black diamond tours and another company to ask them if they had any tours available for before/after March 10~14.

If I were to hook up with somebody else that has back country experience, I would be willing to just show up in Asahidake and look for a local guide. My Japanese is crap, but between Michi-ni mayoimashita, Tasukete!, and abunai!, I have the bases covered biggrin

Heck, outside of that weekend in the middle, my schedule is pretty flexible.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Does look a bit like Zao!
Got any wider images of the area with those juhyo trees yamabushi?

Not of that area. Here is a shot at snow monsters on the other side of the mountain:

yamabushi_29.jpg
yamabushi_10.jpg

Actually several places have the Juhyo, Koumi in Nagano gets the snow monsters sometimes, more sivery looking and not covered in as much snow, but tends to happen in March a lot.

There is a resort in Gifu, as well that has them, but can't recal where.

Zao is famous for the snow monsters, mainly because it is a big resort I guess, not actually been there myself yet, and it is advertised a lot, but actually other resorts have these snow monsters in various unique forms.

Over here we grow 'em big. This is the ropeway building. The gondola car is to the left just outside of the shot.

yamabushi_30.jpg

By this time of the year the base is usually still going up. Right now it has lost about half a meter :'(

Ace photo! Wow.

I now TOTALLY want to go there.

When is usually the peak for that kind of thing? Late January I suppose...

Originally Posted By: snowdude
Actually several places have the Juhyo, Koumi in Nagano gets the snow monsters sometimes, more sivery looking and not covered in as much snow, but tends to happen in March a lot.

There is a resort in Gifu, as well that has them, but can't recal where.

Zao is famous for the snow monsters, mainly because it is a big resort I guess, not actually been there myself yet, and it is advertised a lot, but actually other resorts have these snow monsters in various unique forms.

Zao is famous for them because of how incredibly spectacular they are, not the size of the resort. I have seen some trees that look similar at Yokoteyama in Shiga Kogen, but it sure wasn't anything like what is seen at Zao. I'm sure there are other places that have trees covered in snow/ice as well, though again I doubt it's Zao scale.

Here's what Wikipedia says

日本ã§ã¯è”µçŽ‹ã®æ¨¹æ°·æž—ãŒæœ‰åã§è¦³å…‰è³‡æºã«ã‚‚ãªã£ã¦ãŠã‚Šã€æ¨¹æœ¨ãŒå®Œå…¨ã«æ¨¹æ°·ã‚„雪ã«ã‚ˆã£ã¦è¦†ã‚ã‚ŒãŸã‚‚ã®ã¯ã€Œã‚¹ãƒŽãƒ¼ãƒ¢ãƒ³ã‚¹ã‚¿ãƒ¼ã€ã¨ã‚‚呼ã°ã‚Œã‚‹ã€‚ä»–ã«å…«ç”²ç”°å±±ã‚„八幡平ã€ä¼Šå¹å±±ã€æ°·ãƒŽå±±ã€å¯Œå£«å±±ã®ã‚‚ã®ãŒã‚ˆã知られる。

Zao

Hakkoda

Hachimantai

Ibukiyama

Hyonosen

Fujiyama

Originally Posted By: yamabushi
Over here we grow 'em big. This is the ropeway building. The gondola car is to the left just outside of the shot.
yamabushi_30.jpg

By this time of the year the base is usually still going up. Right now it has lost about half a meter :'(

Brilliant pic.
Looks like the inside of a 'gone mad' freezer!

There's snow on trees in tons of places.

But the Juhyo in Zao, Hakkoda are not just the normal snow on trees. It's that special 'ebi no shippo' (prawn tail) look that they get due to those special circumstances that I don't fully understand.