Which Japan snow towns/villages get the most snow?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey GN, Im confused and just for the record not taking the piss, just trying to understand how there are such big differences in the base depths and reported snowfall for the season. Is it compaction and wind that plays a big factor is the differences?

Oooh! i learned this! go look at the trees the next time your boarding in a relatively untracked area. Youll see the snow kinda curves up the tree. Thats actually a very good indication on how much the snow has bonded and packed. Indirectly it also shows where the snow was, and how much its settled over time.

pete it mainly has to do with the predominant types of snow that falls here. At least up here in Niseko the most predominant types of flakes that fall are fernlike stellar dendrites. These are the classic sort of snowflake stylised at Christmas. They have a lot of surface area and the fernlike structure often causes them to interlock with each other as they fall. This is why we often have times when it appears there are these big flakes falling when in fact they are conglomerates of lots of smaller flakes all interlocked together. Anyway a lot of air is trapped in the snow with these sorts of flakes which is what makes it so light and powdery. These flakes are pretty delicate though and as more snow falls on top the layers beneath will compress easily under the weight above. Also any sort of wind or warmer temps will see it all compress very rapidly.

If like in Australia for instance where temps at most resorts average considerably higher than here the predominant snow comes down as plates and needles with some dendrites. These types of snow pack down a lot more without so much air trapped in the snowpack so they don't compress nearly as much.

The types of flakes that fall are dependent on temperature and humidity mainly. I'm sure you get great quality snow down that way as well but probably at slightly higher altitudes than up here.

GN is actually telling the truth ( That's twice in a day that I have agreed with him ).

I read an artical on the plane which went into intricate detail about snow flakes and the different kinds for altitude air temp at altitude , moisture levels and a few other factors.

Some guy at Toyko Uni(I think) studies snow flakes.

Seemore

Well not sure what type of snow falls here, but currently it is dumping here in Yamanashi, big fat flakes falling about 10cm on the ground in 3 hours!

Will be interesting to see how much we get if it snows all night!

as predicted, all gone by mid-morning!

Actually I slept in for work today doh and literally jumped outta bed at 8.20 and made a dash for the station, by then it was pretty much all gone, just a wet sticky mess on the pavement. The road isn't even wet now, its like it was just a dream (that probably made me late for work!!)

In the end we got about 15cm where I am just up the mountains in Kofu. But about 5-10 mins up the mountain at Shosenkyo got between 20-50cm of snow.

It was knee deep. I will put some pics up in a little while.

Still some snow around now here, and lots up higher remaining, but surprising how quick it melted today.