Which Japan snow towns/villages get the most snow?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black Mountain....hold onto your hat as snow is foecast down our way.....well all of Kanagawa is forecast to get "heavy" snow from tomorrow night through Friday!! (some MIGHT fall in Izu)

Just you guys wait till the Kanagawa Snow Train comes chugging into the station......those pics will be slush puppy in comparison!

]wink

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Do you get this much in village Go Native?

YuzawaNow_1131.JPG

I know when I have been to Myoko, Nozawa, Hakuba et al, never seen quite as much piled up as much as we get round these parts.
Am I missing something...that's not a wall rolleyes The wall (cross section) besides (to the right of) the traffic lights isn't even 2m high doh The snow behind is on a roof, pretty easy to tell that, you can see it to the left of the traffic lights and the way it is sitting 'one storey up with the pile of fallen snow in front.

Here (guess where) 80cm from road to the 'cut' footpath and then 2m of cross section before it rises more behind. If not 4m total very close and certainly not the highest around there razz coolmirrors
Tex_14.JPG

Yes obviously you are missing something because it's 3+ m there on that photo. Anyway, official town untouched snow depth 3.5m+. To the north 4.2m. [Officially the most in Japan at that time]

Only 1m or so on the left of your photo there Tex.

And I bet you know exactly what is under that lot of snow in that particular place in your photo, right, Tex.

Flat ground, right?

Been there in summer so you know, right.

I see.

HAHA lol if you are serious (and I can not believe you are) then you are blind as well. You can see part of the building above the back of the truck. It is plainly obvious that snow is sitting on a roof. Hey... you were the one calling out GN for proof, why don't you get the picture in summer and gain some credibility yourself, a before and after photo biggrin

Ding ding ding! Round one. Listening to Aussies talk about snow is like listening to Eskimos talk about beaches.

Super deep snow happens all across Japan. If you've only ever been to Niseko than you'll think it's special. Once you've been around Japan a bit you realize that Japan is special.

Originally Posted By: JellyBelly

But the wall is made up of (at least) trees, right?

Yes, there is a tree there. But it's a tiny little silver birch. Where the snow wall is like +6m I think there is a pine. There are no buildings hidden under that snow. It's an empty lot between two buildings.

Anywhere empty near a road in town will be a dumping ground for road snow etc. That's cheating!

Sakae Mura on the Niigata side of Nozawa holds the Japan record for snow depth. 7.85m at their train station (!) in 1945. You get deeper snow at Tateyama etc. but noone lives there.

Yes needs to be flat like in Irihirose last week.

Sakae and Tsunan always get a ton, but when I went to Myoko last week they didn't have quite as much as Minamiuonuma. Tokamachi takes the prize from what I have seen this season.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Impressive one from Akakura BM, even with the tree. wink

I bet there are some crackers to be got from Seki Onsen just up the road that seems to be the place that gets totally bombed with snow.

Yeah, north still the old Arai and Charmant over the back side get hammered.