Which Japan snow towns/villages get the most snow?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be biased but I don't think any ski town/village will beat this area in Niigata. In fact, Irihirose was said to have the most at 4+m a week or two back, though that is just to the north of here. But Minamiuonuma had some very impressive walls.

Kutchan here in Hokkaido has one of the highest annual snowfall averages I've been able to find for a town below 200m anywhere in the world. There are definitely towns that get more in Japan but few if any to such a low altitude I would suspect. Hard to know exactly as many towns don't have official statistics, especially in the mountainous areas.

4m walls of snow at the side of roads? It really is commonplace here. They eventually get around to removing them with their impressive machinery but they build up again numerous times thorughout the winter. It's so commonplace don't know if I've ever been bothered to take photos. It's just normal. That photo above is very typical of streets in Kutchan although it wouldn't normally be warm enough for the road to be totally clear biggrin

I actually have photos but not where I can access them currently. I am being serious though. 4m walls at the side of roads would not be considered unusual here at all. Last week when we got 2m in about 4 days there were massive walls of snow all over the place. I'm not saying there is a 4m general snowdepth but where it builds up at the side of roads from clearing 4m walls is not unusual.

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Nah, the snow is Niseko compresses to almost nothing within a few days. Having been to both places I think Niigata takes the cake iamright

Well yes the wet slop they get there wouldn't compress as much razz