• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SnowJapan Admin

I had a few hours at Ishiuchi Maruyama this morning.

Very similar story as you say at Togari, TB.

There was a real spring-like breeze blowing about as well.

We don't want more of that! Well, not for another few months anyway!

Spring @ Joetsu Kokusai today.

I was there in the same place just 3 days ago and the difference in the snow quality since then was surprising. Suppose with 3 days temperatures hitting +6 and +8, you'll get that.

Still enjoyed it though even if it was very busy.

(Weekdays rock!!)

I was in the same area muikabochi at your recommended Maiko. I enjoyed it.

Was very mild though, I was really surprised - had to take a few layers off! Lots of melt going on.

Sounds strange saying this with all the snow piled up, but Niigata needs a fresh snow covering.

Originally Posted By: joshnii
Interesting you went to Togari, TB - was it good?
Never 'seen' that place but from afar, any visuals?

It wasn't that bad actually. Plenty of snow just that it was of the spring-like variety. If I went LAST weekend, I reckon I would be talking it up. They have a good few slopes that have nicely spaced trees and as it was untouched, it was mouth watering. The reason I didn't make a grab for them was that I'd went off the side of a few shorter courses and the snow was wet and heavy, so thoght I'd leave it. Its an old place, could really do with some new infrastructure, the "changing room" at the bottom consisted of 2 cubicles that could fit 3 or 4 people each. We ended up getting changed in the restaurant!! There is a nice onsen that was included with the lift ticket and we got lunch for free too, so it was a cheap day out. I'd go back if it was just after a big dump of light powdery snow. i got a couple of pics but the day was light cloud and misty. I'll upload so you can see them but they don't really show a lot of the resort, mostly looking across at Nozawa and Madarao

Snowing up this way and colder air starting to feed in. It was around feezing in the early hours of this morning and at midday it's below -6. Expected to get down to -10 tonight with a max at the base tomorrow barely above -5.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Snowing up this way and colder air starting to feed in. It was around feezing in the early hours of this morning and at midday it's below -6. Expected to get down to -10 tonight with a max at the base tomorrow barely above -5.

That should be the normal. Here in the German Alps, too.
It´s the daytime temp that is high. Around 10 degrees C in the valley and 3 on the mountain.

anyone havce a slightly longer range long range forecast for myoko/nagano area. im seriously contemplating a trip out there maybe the weekend after next. I know this weekend is crazy so itd probably be better to come on saturday, but well, might have classes on monday and id rather have 9 days as opposed a mere 7 if i can squeeze two weekends in smile