• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another trip report:

Monday, January 24, 2011

2 Peaks 1 Day

Today was one of those days (as every day should be) when you get to be reminded of awesome life is in general. I took off from the lodge with a van, my skins and an open-ended plan for the day. It is always a bit nerve racking setting up for a big tour in Japan because the weather is extremely volatile. A lot of places like to claim their weather changes fast. New England has a saying "if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes" Well New England and Utah weather are nothing compared to Japan. Somehow, the sun stayed out the entire day and made for some awesome sight seeing.

I climbed up the first peak which is adjacent to Goshiki village/onsen. I will definitely return there to build some jumps and ski some steep lines I scouted. For today, I just went to the peak to ski the bowl at the top. I was riding solo so the leeward slope with the nice big cornice to jump off was enticing, however for once my logic pulled through with the victory. Iwanoupuri was the first peak I reached that looked over the back side of my home mountain Niseko. Like all mountains around, the very top was a bit wind crusted but after a few turns it turned to a beautiful surfy snow that you almost feel nothing below your feet. Carving is effortless, unlike the skin up.

After a great quick run, I hopped in the van and drove down the road a bit to another parking lot where I just clicked in and started going. Luckily I found a skin track that went about 3/4 up the way of Iowanoupuri. Another beautiful 360 degree view peak. As I started to admire the expandable view in every direction I noticed the Pacific Ocean over my left shoulder. Yup, deepest snow I have ever skied that close to the ocean. Quite the run down as the snow became a bit heavy near the bottom, but still one of the more fun runs I have done here in Japan. All in all, it was an awesome day and the adventure alone was well worth it.

Here is a video of the second run on Iowanoupuri (first one my go pro was pretty fogged)

mitchpee_38.JPG

mitchpee_37.JPG

mitchpee_36.JPG

mitchpee_35.JPG

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Yeeeeeaaaaaaaaah Mannn biggrin

what a run thumbsup

I wish I had the first run I did on video. It was sooooo nice the snow was north facing so the sun didn't touch it and it was like riding a cloud, really surfy

Looks like you had a sweet day yesterday Mitch!

I didn't make it to Rusutsu. The wife was feeling pretty sick Sunday night and Monday, so unfortunately I had to do the decent thing and drive back home Monday morning!

Thanks for showing me a few spots on Sunday though. I really enjoyed ripping the trees with you.

I'll no doubt be down there again a few times. Let me know when you're planning to hit Furano, or any of the Sapporo hills (or nightclubs!)

Originally Posted By: panhead_pete
Looks great mate but please think about finding a buddy when doing those trips, or at least an EPIRB if you dont already have one.

Oh for sure. Obviously nothing is guaranteed in the backcountry but my chances of dying were probably greater on the drive there. I checked for stable slopes etc. Thanks for looking out though Pete smile

I have had one scary experience on my own on one of those days that started blue and clear and ended up blizzard. I sure was glad to get back that day. But yes, can be magical.

Originally Posted By: SKI
I have had one scary experience on my own on one of those days that started blue and clear and ended up blizzard. I sure was glad to get back that day. But yes, can be magical.

Sure is! Just an update here from Niseko:

Some of the fastest snowfall rates I have ever seen here. 2 meters of snow in the past couple days and tons of people are complaining it is "too deep". Waiting on some footage soon.

Too much?! No!!!

Actually, I reckon this will be the peak in terms of walls of snow, so I want more to fall before things melt. 30cm overnight would be good!

clap

Irihirose looks mad, just saw some photos - natural walls of snow over 4m on either side of a narrow road. Madness!

We have similar up here currently in places. I just know how much time I've had to spend snow clearing over the last few days and you guys in Niigata have been getting hammered more than we have. I don't envy you at all!