• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Been getting into the backcountry a lot via snowmobile and hiking. Here is a video of some of the pow. Some of these were yesterday (yes the snow is still that good).

Thanks to Stu (sand) for the music.

My time in Niseko has wound down and I am off to Kyoto tomorrow. It has been an awesome season and I have met a ton of great people, some of which are on this site. Magseven, Sand, Mamabear, TropicalPow, GoNative, Softlandings, SlipperyJim, are just a few who come to mind. All awesome people and I look forward to seeing them again.
Great to meet you to MP. Have really enjoyed your posts. Keep in touch with us all thru SJ site if you can. I will get that ski in with you one day, be it in Japan , Utah or elsewhere. You are a great young bloke, the future of skiings in good hands. Cheers
Found a picture from January that never got posted

mitchpee_51.jpg
  • SnowJapan Admin

Just got on now and had a mail from muikabochi and someone else about a few strange goings-on in other threads, and this as well.

Looking into it now. Thanks.

Update: a Kyoto Story:

So I got into Kyoto late last night (12PM) and barely had time to sleep. Woke up at 6 and crammed some breakfast into me. I got a bike right away and probably started around 8. I am working on a video I edited with some clips of my Kyoto trip but I am waiting for more footage. Here are some stereotypical pictures for now:

mitchpee_52.JPG

mitchpee_53.JPG

mitchpee_54.JPG

mitchpee_56.JPG

mitchpee_55.JPG

I love the Golden Pavillion, well cool. Mitch great to hear you've enjoyed it over here, it'd be interesting to hear how you reckon the Niseko/Hokkaido area compares with your home area......willing to jump into the pot or diplomatically sit on the fence? stir biggrin

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
I love the Golden Pavillion, well cool. Mitch great to hear you've enjoyed it over here, it'd be interesting to hear how you reckon the Niseko/Hokkaido area compares with your home area......willing to jump into the pot or diplomatically sit on the fence? stir biggrin

You know, it's really tough. I love Japan, I really do. There are so many pros and cons that the two are almost incomparable. To be 100% honest, if I had my ideal life it would be being able to live in Japan and Utah simultaneously. I don't mind working 70+ hours in the summer to slack off a bit in the winter. Anyone have a job that fits that category smile?

From my Blog:

Even as I sit in LA writing this I can’t believe I am back in the US. It seems it was last week that I arrived to the Black Diamond Lodge and met the guys for the very first time. Although winter isn’t quite yet over for me, I know the inevitable end of top to bottom snow for the year is quickly approaching.

I have been fortunate enough to see a vast amount of Japan. Not only was the domestic travel in Japan amazing, but it couldn’t have come at a more pivotal time for the country. It was surely different that I didn’t get to experience the bright lights and constant flashing of Tokyo that most people do because of the effort to save energy, however it was not at all disappointing. While the news coverage may have died down along with the imagined apocalyptic threats, it allowed me to see a side of Japan that not many foreigners will ever see: a nationwide, compassionate, empathetic understanding for the suffering of others. Tokyo was truly remarkable. It seemed everyone shared some sort of determination to help assuage the problems of countless people whom have not only lost their possessions, but people close to them as well. The dire reality of the situation is tens of thousands of people have lost their lives. In all of the major spots I walked around Tokyo there were people with earthquake relief donation stands. Even after donating to four or five stands, I found it impossible to pass by a group of five little girls singing a Japanese song I couldn’t even understand.

To step away from the touchy-feely stuff, I had a pretty kick-ass season. The snow in January probably topped any month I have ever had skiing. There wasn’t a day that it didn’t at least snow a few inches, not to mention the two days where it snowed seven feet or so. Thank you to everyone who helped me experience such an amazing country. Whether it was grabbing me a beer, putting me up for the night, or even just giving advice. I appreciate it all and will try my best to return the favor. I look forward to the next time I am able to go to the land of the rising sun and simultaneously, the falling snow. Although sometimes it can be difficult with a bit of animosity towards foreigners and a distinctive language barrier, I found far more experiences of over-the-top kindness that outweighed the difficulty. On one specific account, I asked a man who was obviously on his way somewhere just the direction of the bus. He proceeded to walk fifteen minutes presumably out of his way with me just to assure I got to where I needed to go. I wouldn’t have been so shocked if it was a one-time occurrence, but there are countless examples of the latter throughout my trip. I am still uploading videos and pictures from my trip and hope to post them soon. I just hope that if there is anything you can spare Japan does need your help. The reality of the situation is many people are still without comfort in their lives and don’t deserve the cards of fate nature has dealt them. If you want to know how to donate or act in some way just ask me. I am working on a video to try to inform a way to distribute donations to necessary areas and highlight the beautiful parts I saw in Japan. So for now, I will see you out and about in the US. However I can’t promise it will forever be where I shall reside.

mitchpee_58.JPG

mitchpee_57.JPG

Mitch it was great to meet you. I'm really glad you enjoyed your time up here. With the Aussie dollar actually trading higher the US dollar at the moment I'm almost considering a trip to the US next winter. I'll let you know if I'm heading your way thumbsup

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Mitch it was great to meet you. I'm really glad you enjoyed your time up here. With the Aussie dollar actually trading higher the US dollar at the moment I'm almost considering a trip to the US next winter. I'll let you know if I'm heading your way thumbsup

Please do! Then I can finally offer you some advice in where to go hahaha.