Food that Japan just doesn't seem to get yet

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I think Japan has some pretty great hamburgers actually. The best, IMO is Critters Burger. They use Aussie beef and give you a few delicious wedges with your burger too. It's in Shinsaibashi, Osaka. Actually they're the best burgers I've ever had. The Freshness Burger chain is okay also.

Japanese cheese is bad but you can get decent imported stuff from Costco or some big liquor stores (for a price!).

I find it very hard to get raw unsatled nuts, and also whole oats, but occasionally will come across an import/specialty grocer that has them.

Any sort of lean protein is almost impossible to find at the ski resorts I have been too. In fact, it's quite hard to get even a good dose of fatty protein. God, I get SO sick of katsu and hamburg when on ski trips.

And I reckon starbucks is pretty much the best coffee you can find easily in Japan. Most other places just look at me strangely when I ask for a double shot, and their coffee is so weak it tastes like dirty dishwater, and they often don't have real milk.

Starbucks.....the best coffee??!! (available in Japan) slap

I can get a 1kg cheddar block from my local supermarket for about 1k, found a big bag of monkey nuts as well for a couple hundred yen and also found a decent sized bag of porridge oats.....just not living in the right place!! razz wink

Originally Posted By: Hirakata
And I reckon starbucks is pretty much the best coffee you can find easily in Japan. Most other places just look at me strangely when I ask for a double shot, and their coffee is so weak it tastes like dirty dishwater, and they often don't have real milk.

And starbucks coffee tastes better than that?
Ni-shotto sometimes works, but for decent coffee you should get to the cafe on the station (across from the shink ticket gates) at Nagano, they actually do a decent double shot. Also, the Akakan Cafe Primo do a reasonable facsimile of good coffee, just get a "French roast" espresso.

Korea do coffee really well - almost everywhere understands "espresso - double" and you get a decent hit!
Originally Posted By: bobby12
Starbucks makes great coffee...

I disagree.

IMHO, Charbucks makes terrible coffee. They start with marginal beans (at best) then over-roasted them to cover up the iffy quality with a burnt, smoky taste.
Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Oh no nothing like that.

We have McDonalds (yipee!) and Mos Burger, but that's about it.

But McDonalds now have GOURMET Coffee!!! wink

ILZ.....I don't think it is, it's a Japanese supermarket and all the labels are in Japanese, nothing to suggest the cheese is imported
Originally Posted By: best skier in hakuba
Anyone tried this Gourmet Coffee.
Or stoop so low as to admit it.

We don't have McDs anymore here. Woe is me!

So, now you'll have to eat food instead! Good for you!
Originally Posted By: best skier in hakuba
Anyone tried this Gourmet Coffee.
Or stoop so low as to admit it.

We don't have McDs anymore here. Woe is me!

yeah I have.....its just coffee.....nothing gourmet about it