Food that Japan just doesn't seem to get yet

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pies.

(How predictable).

Though perhaps I should make that the meat kind as I have had some amazing sweet/fruit pies here. But the pies that really matter are the meaty ones. Obviously.

That's the thing - they can make good potato wedges, hell roast potatoes too, but chip shop chips?!

How on earth can they make awesome tempura, but eschew chip shop chips?!

It doesn't make sense. confused

Nearly inpossible to find nice burgers here, back home we have the nice meaty burgers that actually taste of meat, here they all taste the same, like eating soft plastic. I do make some nice meaty burgers myself though.

As above not easy to find good cheese here, unless I want to pay a fortune, just that rubbish processed stuff.

Steak and kidney pies, I really miss them, I always eat them when i go back home.

Desserts, things like rhubbarb crumble, jam tarts, mince pies, etc.

Sauaages :- All sausages here taste the same, no taste. I miss the the good ol British sausages.

Having said that Japan has a lot of great food that we can't get back home so I guess it goes both ways.

Originally Posted By: snowdude

Having said that Japan has a lot of great food that we can't get back home so I guess it goes both ways.

I think that is what makes traveling or moving countries quite exciting. Tastes and smells evoke memories. And whenever we get a really decent Wagyu or some good Sashimi or I find Pocky on the shelf of the store it brings with it a flood of Japan memories.

I'll qualify this by saying that I don't live in Tokyo!

The sad fact is that pretty much any Japanese run 'foreign' food restaurant fails. Of course, there are a few diamonds in the rough out there... What I miss the most about food back home is all of the authentic international options. Even in small town Canada you'll likely find a really good Chinese, Indian, Greek, Lebanese, Korean, Italian and French restaurant. I live in a town of 300,000 here and the 'international' restaurants are pitiful.

As for buying food in the shops I think it has definitely gotten a lot better. I've found really good bacon and sausages BUT no good Japanese cheese. I mean, not even close! I think that most Japanese wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between natural and process cheese.

How about wine? I've found every Japanese 'wine' to be laughable at best.

I think the restaurants fail - or the ones I have seen fail - are the ones that cater to Japanese tastes. The ones I know of, that have authentic tastes, seem to do well.

The only good cheese I have found in Japan, was either from Hokkaido, think it was in Mushroom Heaven, on the long bus journey from Shin-chitose to niseko, or from our local farm shop.

Wine from Japan is shit. Sorry no other way to put it. If you have the time BM, go to katsunumabudoeki, in Yamanashi, as there is a massive winery there and shop, which allows you to sample wines from around the area. Most are like sweet, alcoholic grape juice, that feels like it is rotting your teeth; however, there was one, which we bought a bottle of and will take a piccy later, that was very tasty. Out of 200 bottles, we found 5 nice ones. Perhaps its me being a wine snob though.

Any Mexican or other Hispanic food. I've been to a handful of "Mexican" restaurants in Japan, and although they may have got the appearance of the food somewhat correct, the flavor is all wrong. Don't even get me started on "taco rice" (anyone from Ryukyu out there?)!

Yes, here in inaka countryside, 'international' restaurants often fail. There's even one owneed by Indian guys (?) near where I am and that doesn't do it properly, perhaps trying to cater for the Japanese too much.

Given how simple it is, most milk tea in Japan is pretty rank. Tasteless tea with coffee whitener is the standard level.

There is lots of really good meat in Japan, but processed meat is generally very poor. The ham is possibly worse than the bacon and sausages. You can buy pretty good made-in-Japan stuff online, but its hassle and you have to pay postage. We make our own bacon and probably should have a go at sausages too. If I do, I won't make British-style ones because there is too much binder in them. Germans have the right idea there.

Cheese yeah, its just too expensive.

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Ezorisu, there is a place in Nakameguro called Junkadelic. If you like Mexican food go there and feast your ass off!

Damn, you beat me to it AGAIN BM! another vote for that place - last time I was there, the chef was Mexican too. biggrin

It's pretty easy once you follow the guide - smoking is another option and possible using much smaller apparatus.

One of my students uses a homemade contraption using a big oil container from an old restaurant, on top of a portable gas range. Seems to work quite well.

Coffee!!!!

Starbucksu sucksu! There's a reason we take a pack of grounds and a plunger with us whenever we travel (even in Aus, because most motels here do crap coffee really, really well!)