Food that Japan just doesn't seem to get yet

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
You can keep it fresher if you keep it in the fridge.
thumbsup
That´s what I do.

My bean provider (who imports and roasts his own - and whose beans we also grind as required at home) tells me that fridge is the WORST place to keep ground coffee - it cools the oils and stops the brewing process from releasing all the flavours and aromas available.
Originally Posted By: RobBright
What I would prefer is freshly bought coffee, made from freshly roasted beans, which have then been freshly ground. wink
So would I, BUT ... when traveling, it's not easy to get freshly roasted beans, and to grind to order, as required.
On the other hand, probably Starbucks are fresher because because they serve more coffee, opening fresh packets more frequently.
And they don't know from sh!t how to brew a decent cup, and they are guaranteed to make it crap no matter where in the world you buy it because they are trained by the same idiots!
Originally Posted By: JA
You can keep it fresher if you keep it in the fridge.
thumbsup
That´s what I do.

My bean provider (who imports and roasts his own - and whose beans we also grind as required at home) tells me that fridge is the WORST place to keep ground coffee - it cools the oils and stops the brewing process from releasing all the flavours and aromas available.

This is an interesting statement.
I will do an experiment taste test.
What he is saying can be taken that if you are camping out in winter or making coffee in cold Alaska, your coffee won´t taste as good as ... wink
When you pack the grind into the expresso thing, put it on the stove, the steam and the heat will bring the temperature up gradual enough (fridge~room) and to extraction temp .
On the other hand, when using a paper filter process, I agree.
Good point.

Just remembered something, so to add..
I was taught to gribble a little bit of hot water onto the grind in the paper filter. Let it stand so the grind absorbs hot moisture before putting more hot water to top it up.
I suppose this "pre-heating" helps the release process of flavours, etc.

Starbucks makes great coffee, they do everything right in terms of getting the beans imported fast and well sealed, freshly roasted and ground etc.

You just have to be careful when you order anythign other than a small size, as they put in too much milk. if you want a huge coffee then be sure to order extra espresso shot.

Tullys are also decent, but douteur somehow tastes like poo to me. Again, too much milk.

The best place near me roasts the beans in the shop every hour or so, and grinds freshly for your cup. But it is closed on the weekend and evening so I can rarely go there.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
Starbucks makes great coffee,
Sorry, bobby, got that far and nearly puked!

You CANNOT be serious! What starbucksu makes is as far from coffee as where I live is from decent powder snow - at LEAST 9 hours flying, and probably more!

Anything bigger than a small size, Starbucks add milk,

proves they don´t know what they are doing.

When you order lattè you shouldn´t have to order double shot.

What a ripp off thumbsdown

Anything bigger than a small size, Starbucks add milk,
proves they don´t know what they are doing.
When you order lattè you shouldn´t have to order double shot.
What a ripp off thumbsdown

Depends what you order. Order a cappuccino or latte, and yes, funnily enough you get milk. Order the "daily coffee" and it comes served black.

And depending on the size of latte you get, the size of the espresso also varies. I ordered a venti today, and got a triple shot in there. biggrin

You can get pretty good milk tea in Starbucks in Japan. It actually tastes of tea and has real milk in it. That's all that's required.

I like nice coffee but I'm not paying lots of money for it. I probably OD on caffeine already as it is.