Food that Japan just doesn't seem to get yet

You can make a ghetto smoker out of a cardboard box.

Our bacon is dry rub and then smoked in an old whiskey barrel. Our neighbour does most of the work. It comes out very salty and smokey, but is killer in soups, pasta, stir fries etc. A bit hardcore for eating as is.

I might try and make a milder one sometime using the brine method.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Japan lacked good bacon. It was paper thin..

You guys complaining about sausages, go to a brazilian shop and you will get great ones (made by Brazilians though).

We found a few great foreign restaurants , Thai & especially Mexican but generally were to Japanese tastes.

But then again, some Japanese places here are pretty crap too. We went to a Teppanyaki restaurant last week and cooked in sukiyaki nabe! & they served the Miso about 20 mins before the food!

Hanging for Yakiniku...

Originally Posted By: JA
Coffee!!!!

Starbucksu sucksu! There's a reason we take a pack of grounds and a plunger with us whenever we travel (even in Aus, because most motels here do crap coffee really, really well!)

Clearly you haven't drunk coffee in Japan then. confused
Originally Posted By: RobBright
Coffee!!!!

Starbucksu sucksu! There's a reason we take a pack of grounds and a plunger with us whenever we travel (even in Aus, because most motels here do crap coffee really, really well!)

Ummm ... yep, tried a lot, found a couple of places that do it right, but the vast majority are worse than Starbucksu!

Expresso machines are fairly new in Japan.

And good coffee, apart from bean and roast, I say 30% machine 70% operator.

The Japanese way to coffee making is syphon, (is that how you spell it?) them two glass bubbles on top of each other.

Real pros use to make it out from linen bags by putting coffee grind in and pouring hot water.

One of the few decent cups of coffee we've ever had (in 6 trips to the country) has been just out of Osaka where the siphon process was used. It was interesting to watch as well!

Given decent beans, well roasted and properly ground, I'd agree with your assessment of the value of operator and machine.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Quote:
You guys complaining about sausages, go to a brazilian shop and you will get great ones (made by Brazilians though).

I wonder if there is one within 200km of where I live! wink

Where ever there are Brazilians, sausages you will find wink
Coffee!!!!

Ummm ... yep, tried a lot, found a couple of places that do it right, but the vast majority are worse than Starbucksu!

You say you like coffee, but you take a pack of grounds with you, yet they are no longer fresh once ground. confused
This is why I don't think we should take you seriously when you say that most coffee is worse than Starbucks.

You say you like coffee, but you take a pack of grounds with you, yet they are no longer fresh once ground. confused
This is why I don't think we should take you seriously when you say that most coffee is worse than Starbucks.

True the grounds are losing freshness, but they are purchased vacuum sealed. They are still a whole lot better than starbucks, and much, much better than instant. We make sure that the pack is sealed between uses. What would you prefer? fresh instant or slightly depleted freshness in a plunger cup?

True the grounds are losing freshness, but they are purchased vacuum sealed. They are still a whole lot better than starbucks, and much, much better than instant. We make sure that the pack is sealed between uses. What would you prefer? fresh instant or slightly depleted freshness in a plunger cup?

What I would prefer is freshly bought coffee, made from freshly roasted beans, which have then been freshly ground. wink

The freshly roasted is where the problem is.

If it´s kept airtight and in the fridge, and you grind up what you need when you make it, then the rest of the beans stays fresh.

So if the shop is not so popular and the bean in on the shelf for a long time ... thumbsdown

On the other hand, probably Starbucks are fresher because because they serve more coffee, opening fresh packets more frequently. But, we don´t know how fresh what´s inside the packet.

So, If the shop roast the coffee themselves from quality beans, that is tops thumbsup

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
You can keep it fresher if you keep it in the fridge.
thumbsup
That´s what I do.

Fridge or Freezer?
the age old question.

I wonder about that, too.
I reckon it depends if you are storing the beans for a while (you bought bulk) . If there´s less air in the pack, meaning not much moisture to ice inside the pack). If you have those vacume sealing stuff, can be done.
But if you are taking the beans in and out all the time because you use them, I´d put it in the fridge. I think it´s more to prevent oxidation. Colder temp makes the oil molecules of coffee less active so it has less frequency contacting oxygen.
Freezing it might change the structure because of the water content inside. That´s why you don´t refreeze food over and over.

I´m might be talking rubbish, here tbh.