Germany sucks because ...

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
First time I visited my then girlfriend house here in Germany, I really had to take a leak.
I saw a catholic church, asked if I can use their loo, and was told no.
How can anyone who is out there to save souls do that to someone who is desperately in need of salvation...
So I pissed in their garden.
The tree loved me for it.

Good to hear Paul Whicker is alive and well!
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing that bugs me.
I try hard to speak German but people don´t have the patience and understanding that I am a foreigner. I get response that is almost like annoyance.

Wouldnt take it too personnally. The Germans do appreciate it when foreigners try to speak the lingo, they can just be quiet serious and direct at times (it's their nature).

I have never had any major dramas with my schizer deutsche, but it is generally accepted better by the youth. So I guess its a generation thing, which means in 20 years you will get less grief. Hang in there!
Another thing that bugs me.
I try hard to speak German but people don´t have the patience and understanding that I am a foreigner. I get response that is almost like annoyance.
If you are in Japan and a foreigner. you would get respect for at least trying to speak the language.
lol

I had that problem as well. Looked at me doubfounded, I thought I was saying the wrong words. Finally the penny dropped for them, they corrected my pronunciation and said EXACTLY the same thing back to me. I repeated it.... NEIN! They said it again - it was exactly the same as what I said, exactly but I guess I had a slight Australian accent. SHEESH not very insightful.

We were in Germany last week actually, hadn't been there for several years. We rented a car and drove around and had a great time, all the people we met were very friendly to us.

Germans however, by nature are serious and can come across as not friendly, even though they probably are most of the time.

Originally Posted By: Tex
they corrected my pronunciation and said EXACTLY the same thing back to me. I repeated it.... NEIN! They said it again - it was exactly the same as what I said, exactly but I guess I had a slight Australian accent. SHEESH not very insightful.

Feeln that pain - everyday smile

Germany has some very formal rules when interacting with people you dont know. And this is why they can come across rude.

Examples.

Hand shakes: They love them. Men, women, young, old, whenever you meet someone new its all about the hand shake. None of this french kissey kissey stuff.

Formal/Informal addressing Grammar: As well as the usual confusing masculine/feminine grammar, the germans also have informal/formal grammar. None of this Aussie 'g'day mate, how are ya' to someone you dont know.

Originally Posted By: Ezorisu
Deutscheland gave the world Rammstein: They should therefore be forgiven of any and all shortcomings or infractions, past, present, or future!
lol
I bought Big Day Out Tickets for #1 son for Christmas - the line up is pretty crap, but Rammstein are heading it - so makes it totally worth the $155 a ticket!!

Weiss bier

Alt bier

Curry Wurst

Cheese and Salami for breakfast on hardcore rye bread

Very good white wine (tho' red is trendy)

Pretty towns with enforced planning laws

Roads where you can drive fast

Some very good techno

Football matches with cheap season tickets and terraces with an atmosphere that pisses on Premiership-era English football.

Good access to mountains

Could be worse....

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
Football matches with cheap season tickets and terraces with an atmosphere that pisses on Premiership-era English football.

How much are they Mr Wiggles?
Surely the atmo ain't better than, say, Old Trafford!? veryshocked