Originally Posted By: yamabushi
Now, can you guys understand that I get a bit flabbergasted when people claim that this place is flat? I mean the gondola will save you a good amount of walking, but the direct trails going down from the gondola is not Hakkoda.

People claim the Niseko area is flat as well. They too just don't know where to go wink
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good Yamabushi! I'll be heading up there in mid-March by the looks of it. Work is finished on the 10th of March this year so I'll have a week before heading back to Canada and Jamaica for a visit. C'mon lotto I need help!

It is nice to actually see some pics of the place, I've heard how the powder is so great before but I've never seen any pics until now. If you have more, and you have the time, I'd love to see em. thumbsup

Originally Posted By: yamabushi
Some people do, some don't. I think it is about 50/50. I used to wear one when I had a long board (172cm). That thing was a pig to turn but oh boy, could it float.

Then again some don't carry beacons, shovels, probes, or other safety gear that common sense would dictate (I usually carry a claw, which is a handle-less shovel and a higher quality probe to make a faster search).

Heck, I'm guilty of going up thinking I would stick close by and ventured into the yonder, with nothing but the snowboard shifty

I'm beginning to clean up more pics. Here is another Hakkoda shot.

yamabushi_6.jpg

Yamabushi, we need to go ride this exact spot. I see a cliff that I want to hit smile
Originally Posted By: Soft Landings
Yamabushi,

Have you heard any news of a new high speed ferry running between Hakodate and Aomori due to go into operation in September?
I found some info on blogs but nothing official.

I have taken the one from Hachinohe to Hakodate. That one works best for me because it travels overnight, arriving to hakodate around 7:00am. I did this to go to the Sapporo ice fest, and there are buses that will take you straight to Niseko. I would imagine that now with the bullet train going straight into Aomori that it would work best for some folks to go from there.

Here is today's teaser shot. On the early winter you may not see the sun (or much else) for weeks at a time. Then one day it shows up and you are greeted with a winter wonderland. This is outside of the gondola. The first mountain on the left is where the bowl is. The other two have well defined craters. On the valley between the last mountains there is a cabin.

yamabushi_10.jpg

Some time in March I'll be gone for a week to play in Asahidake and kurodake. Once I know the dates I'll let you folks know. Other than that time, every other weekend I'll be in hakkoda smile

Reckon I might take the ferry from Hakodate sometime this season and give Hakkoda a go. It looks great. I'll let you know if I'm heading down yamabushi and hopefully we can hook up?

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Reckon I might take the ferry from Hakodate sometime this season and give Hakkoda a go. It looks great. I'll let you know if I'm heading down yamabushi and hopefully we can hook up?

If I'm here, I'm game. Heck, if you can make it on a ferry to Aomori by 7:30am, I'll pick you up and have you on the gondola by 9:00am. If you come on a later ferry you are gonna have to take the bus and meet up at the mountain (45~60 min trip). I am happy to get up earlier to help a fellow BC guy, but it would drive me insane to sit around knowing that the good powder is being eaten up. If you are staying I can recommend good spots on the mountain. February should be wide open, and on March anytime outside of my trip to Asahidake/Kurodake.

Speaking about that trip; If I swing by Niseko, would you show me around biggrin

Here is today's picture, dropping into the crater of the middle volcano. In reality it is a short drop with a pain in the ass climb back up, but well worth the photo. The guy didn't bail; the deeeeeeeep powder just makes it look that way biggrin

yamabushi_11.jpg
Originally Posted By: Go Native

I'm thinking of doing the same thing!

They may open Hakkoda this Saturday! Yesterday it had 35cm base, I'm hopping it will hit at least 80cm by Saturday morning. Not enough to go crazy but enough to get the season going groovy

The next picture didn't resample well. I'll reupload later.

yamabushi_12.jpg

• SnowJapan Admin

yamabushi, just in case you didn't know.... if you upload with the longest side at 750 pixels, the photo is not resized by the system and the best quality.

Really nice photos, thanks.

friend