Originally Posted By: Jynxx

We (now) have about 70cm @1800m on our local mountain.

Which local mountain is that Jynxx? Am asking because I have some spare time on my hands and am desperate for powder!!
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: SJ-David
yamabushi, just in case you didn't know.... if you upload with the longest side at 750 pixels, the photo is not resized by the system and the best quality.
Really nice photos, thanks.
friend

I only have a few pics here at work but no means to edit them. I need to stop being lazy and start cleaning up pics for posting.

Quick question; when I try to view a user profile in order to PM i'm getting "You don't have permissions to view users profiles". Is there a quick fix for that?

All is well in the world; woke up this morning to frosted windshields and a white blanket on the roads. Life in a northern town is beginning to look as God intended it to.

Hakkoda has 55cm base, with snow every day and expected to dump hard on Friday. For Saturday, whether the gondola is running is irrelevant; the question is only about how I will be getting to the top, not the undeniable fact that I'll get there yummy

The funny thing is that once I get my steady fix of powder I'll probably get back into lurker mode (yes, my desperation for snow was the only thing that drove me to break a four year lurking streak). If anybody needs to get a hold of me your best bet would be a PM (I'm assuming that I would get an email if somebody PM me). Or you can PM me now and exchange contact info. I fully intent to spend about two days a week in Hakkoda all the way until May; if I'm available I would be happy to meet up. Heck, if you live near a BC spot and are willing to trade guiding help (you show me your backcountry, I'll show you mine-type of deal), I would pick you up at the train station biggrin

Here's today pic. A short-ish South facing slope with a good incline that, because it gets what little sun we get, and the storms blow into it as opposed to loading it, happens to be very stable and highly unlikely to avalanche. At the bottom there is a valley that you need to take at full speed in order to make it into the forest on the other side.

Attempting to take a 45-degree slope at full speed in order to snowboard uphill. This is what makes snowboarding fun biggrin

yamabushi_13.jpg

Originally Posted By: yamabushi

Attempting to take a 45-degree slope at full speed in order to snowboard uphill. This is what makes snowboarding fun biggrin

Or just ski. The uphill bit is much easier with poles and the ability to move you legs wink

But then you miss out on the fun of going faster than you are comfortable with to get the speed to get up the other side, and the "i think I can I think I can" moments about 3/4 of the way up, and the swimming gestures to suck the last bit of momentum at the top, jump, shuffle, groan, then the woohoo! as you just tip over the apex.

MUCH more fun! lol

You would be amazed at the amount of energy a snowboarder is willing to spend (swimming motions, duck walk, the frog leap, clawing like a ghoul out of hell, jump jive 'n wail) just to prove to skiers that it can be done party

Funny thing, the first time my non-BC snowboarder friends see me boarding with poles. They don't think is funny anymore when a few quick jabs with the poles get me over the hill or across the flat. If I know what's coming, I'm not afraid to pull them out biggrin

Originally Posted By: yamabushi
You would be amazed at the amount of energy a snowboarder is willing to spend (swimming motions, duck walk, the frog leap, clawing like a ghoul out of hell, jump jive 'n wail) just to prove to skiers that it can be done party

Funny thing, the first time my non-BC snowboarder friends see me boarding with poles. They don't think is funny anymore when a few quick jabs with the poles get me over the hill or across the flat. If I know what's coming, I'm not afraid to pull them out biggrin

Yeah there's been many times I've handed off one of my poles to help a knuckle dragging friend get themselves out of difficult spots. I do like those who bring their own! thumbsup
Originally Posted By: MitchPee
hopefully Japan will get this snow...

Mate I can assure you that you'll get a hell of lot deeper snow than that. Even today would be better than that! wink

I was thinking Tsugaike....they report a 70cm base at the mo.....a few more cms on top of that by Sat might just make it fun. How much is open up there anyways? I realise that its not gonna be epic, nipple-tickling pow, but I'm itching to get up and have a slide