It´time.

Had a pinched nerve in my lower back for the last 4 weeks. Bloody frustrating but good reason to prep my body.

I´m going tomorrow. It´s snowing.

It´s a bit weird this year that all the smallish resorts are running on diminished lift capacity even at this time of the year. They have gone stingy...

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
It´time.
Had a pinched nerve in my lower back for the last 4 weeks. Bloody frustrating but good reason to prep my body.

If you ask me (I know you didn't but I'll say it anyways) the #1 exercise for the off-season is barbell squats. Done correctly, they will cure any and all back pains. Look up stronglifts 5x5 for a good beginners program.

Today's picture may not look like much but I'm sure it will bring a smile to anybody that has been here, the Mokosawa snow bridge. It forms at around 175cm base, and it is the exit route to the Mokosawa run (one of the many unmapped routes near the gondola). The biggest newbie trap in the mountain is the big bowl near the top, right under the gondola. I mean, it looks as inviting as your first girlfriend's lips, and you see all the locals heading that way. What you don't see is the locals following it to the end; they either turn left for the Mokosawa run, or sharp right for a modified y-sawa. The ones that follow the "weeee!" moment get stuck at the bottom with a nasty long walk through deep snow wakaranai

This is late in the season, the base is nice and settled.

yamabushi_14.jpg

There is an uphill after the bridge. The trick is to come down at full speed, carve, go between the trees, carve, and then fly as fast as you can accross. All I'll say is that when you see somebody at the gondola station dripping water you got a good chance of guessing where it happened biggrin
Originally Posted By: Soft Landings
Yamabushi,

I heard a rumour that at Hakkoda the resort has guides that form groups and you can ride with them (for a fee).
Apparently you meet in the car park first thing in the morning?
Do you know anything about this?

I think just about all the hotels around the mountains have 'guides'. The problem is that, guiding in Japan is not regulated, and in the past the safety and competence of the local outfits has been put into question.

I would recommend the folks from the Sanso hotel; those are the guys I see all the time. The hotel has a website. Simon is a american that has been living in Japan forever and has been guiding in hakkoda for what seems to be just as long.

I'll be there tomorrow; 160cm and growing biggrin

Originally Posted By: yamabushi
Over meter and a half (61 inches) of fresh snow since yesterday, with more snow every day for the foreseeable future. The weather is fine now biggrin

I'll be there on Wednesday, can't wait to check it out!
  • 2 weeks later...

Over four meters of snow in 7 days...

Nothing in Hokkaido has as much snow...

Yesterday's shot (gopro camera at the end of the stick)

yamabushi_15.jpg

If you'll excuse me I need to go to the nearest Montbell store for a Life is good T-shirt smile

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
UWAUAAUUAUAAUwwwooooo

looking forward to see the GoPro vid. please !

did you get out? hope you did.

What board are you riding?

haven't figured out how to edit videos yet. :/

The board is a Burton fish, as evident by the outstanding level of flotation it is providing biggrin for most of the ride the snow was just to my waist, that just hapened to be the deep end of the pool.

Nice thing about that spot is that it was next to the trail everybody else was stomping. Getting back to the shallow knee-deep powder was easy biggrin

Ohhh shityeah thumbsup thumbsup

cheers

love to get something like that.

Europe´s having warm weather at the mo, haven´t snowed for 2 weeks, all the snow outside our house melted yesterday.

Spring weather. Local mountain 20cm

Waiting for the cold spell. Very unusual.