The 10/11 Japan winter snow prediction thread. Hurray!

Before we even think about snowfall volumes, sweating in central Tokyo I'm wondering about when this heatwave's going to crack. Can't wait for some cooler air to come through.

Suppose we'll get the mother of all thunderstorms at the end of this. That's something which we haven't really seen this year. No thunderstorms, no typhoons coming anywhere close by, really quiet to be honest. Just so incredibly hot.

My hope is for a decent early start to the season, even if the heavy falls don't come until January, it'd be good to be skiing top to bottom at Hakuba before going to the UK for Christmas.

SdS

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least in Kanto, we have another 5-6 days of this heat level, if not more. The evenings are getting perceptibly "cooler" - cooler meaning not quite as unbearably hot as before, rather than actually cool - and then we'll see.

Usually in the second half of September and early October we start to get that nice balance between warmth and freshness, but this year, when this weather cracks, I guess it's really going to crack big style.

Only the likes of GoNative would have the data to tell us how hot summers relate to winter temps and snow volumes in Japan. Usually such things don't correlate in any simple way, or we'd all be weather forecasting geniuses.

No reason why, if the winter weather pattern sets in early, we can't have an early start to the season regardless of the average summer temps, I guess.

Well in '05 we had a very mild autumn. I can't remember there being any early snowfalls on Youtei in September or October. In the last week of October I remember we got up to 19 degrees! The next week in November it started snowing to sea leavel and we all remember what a crazy cold and snowy December that was.