The Australian Snow Gum, resistent to frost & freezing. The colder it gets the more colour (bright red & yellow streaks) comes out in the trunk. Usually nicely spaced for offpiste boarding, not as tight as pine or fir trees. With kangaroos, wallabys and wombats around and below the snowline ( and unfortunately sometimes on the road as roadkill).

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Mantas
So much road kill down there. Hundreds of dead wombats and roos.

On our last day there was a wombat hanging around the cabin. The kids were stocked to see an alive one.
Rather than a swollen upside down one with a big painted cross on it wink
Originally Posted By: blu
What a day, no crowds, gotta love spring boarding.

Twas excellent Spring conditions - I had an absolute ball Saturday and Sunday!

My favourite of High Noon was not so much the pick for me this weekend - Supertrail got the nod. Some part of Supertrail were still corduroy and firm after lunch! The Bluff was also lovely riding after about 10am.

Heading home to storage wax the board for a couple of months.
And to tend to my sunburnt face.

Another great day Mama.

I had three generations of snowboarders enjoying Perisher today (all family).

The boys have just arrived back to the lodge, there's much excitement with the kids, as the son-in-law just returned with a rainbow trout he just caught in Lake Jindy.

Might be the last slide for us too.

Now, how many days to Rusutsu & Central Hokaido.

Hey Mushie - the snow is holding up very well.

Yes, it is spring. It is softening, and doing the freeze thaw thing. And it is getting patchy lower down off the snowmade trails (where the big bases were set with snowmaking).

However the cover from midstation and above is excellent and extensive.

The friends I was with over the weekend often drive up for a couple of days here and there - they were so happy with the conditions they said they will be back during the October school holidays. They anticipate it will all be up in the Basin by then - but still good skiing.

The cover was smooth and fast, and a whole lot of fun, with not too many other players.

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend resort skiing next weekend here in NZ.

Got more snow now that we have had all season.

Looks like it will be snowing for closing weekend too.

How are things holding up in OZ - From the top left of the weather maps I look at you guys have had some snow too lately??

Originally Posted By: Captain Stag
Last weekend resort skiing next weekend here in NZ.

Got more snow now that we have had all season.

Looks like it will be snowing for closing weekend too.

How are things holding up in OZ - From the top left of the weather maps I look at you guys have had some snow too lately??

I don't understand why the mountains here close so early - Mr Minty assures me that they sometimes stay open later in the year, but they haven't for the five years I've lived in Chch - Ruapehu has done xmas day skiing in the not too distant past, so why do they shut so early down here!

Yep economically not viable. People only have so much cash they can spare for skiing each season. By October it's mostly used up. And of course they've got to leave some to ski decent snow during the northern winter razz

Down south most of the punters are from outside the area and they all plan to have their holiday during peak season, once that season is over the ski fields are super quiet. Up north most of the customers are more local so if there is snow they can keep skiing.

At coronet peak on Saturday the skiing was better than it was for most of August and there was hardly anyone there.. Opening day was far busier and there were only a few runs open then.

Originally Posted By: blu
Mt Hutt had always opened early, but I've got a distant memory of Mt Ruapehu running lifts into Novemeber (& December?).

yeah, a uni friend of mine had boarded on xmas day at a Ruapehu field when she was in high school.