• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another somber Mt Hutt story - two or three days ago a man who lost his balance while snowboarding off trail between two runs fell four metres onto the access road. He suffered head injuries and was flown to hospital.

He has since died from his head injuries :(

Additionally, the skiers and boarders stranded on Mt Hutt last night have been allowed to leave at last. Apparently they decided to send the children down first on buses - which made me question how much they value the lives of the children using them as crash test dummies!

I think we'll be going to porters this weekend instead - one of Mr Mintys workmates will be going with his family, so I'll be leading the kids astray as they're at about the same level as me while Mr Minty will be pushing his workmate out of his comfort zone.

Last year I skied at MtHutt for 5 days found the road not near as bad as people had reported. Have been told they dont asphalt the road as black ice is less likely form on the rocky dirt surface they have there.But it most likely that the dirt surface is cheaper and easy to maintain.Most of the car problems are when people follow to close to the car in front and run into the back of them when the car is front stops suddenly on the trip down the mountain going home. I would not like to go over the edge of that road would not much left to ship back home.Sections of Treble cones road make Mt hutt look tame.We went up one day in the rain and Mrs rosco will never go back there again it took awhile to get her finger nail marks out of the rental car dash board.

Know what you mean Roscoe.

The road to Mount Lyford is the scariest road I've ever been on, and that include the road in Bolivia to Cochabumba that they made a documentary about.

I wonder how many cars they lose a year. Next time I go back I'll get a 4WD for sure.

Just got back from a day at Porters - was absolutely beautiful weather today, but rainfall on the field yesterday meant that a lot of the 60cm from last week was washed away unfortunately. So it was a bit rocky and there were some icy patches.

It was retro day, so the field was packed and it was tonnes of fun - they were playing heaps of awesome older music (from the beatles to michael jackson!) and a lot of people were cranking their straight skis and overalls. It really was too hot for jackets today too.

I was completely back to being a beginner tbh, unfortunately my confidence was also really low and after the big wide runs at Cardrona last year it was strange and scary going down the narrow runs at Porters. I got up to the top of t-bar 2 though biggrin Completely bailed quite magnificently a number of times.

I did underestimate how much my lower back injury would flare up which cut my day short by an hour. Also being on my skis for the first time was a bit nerve racking - they're a bit long for me, I should be on 160s but these are 165's, but once I got my balance my turns came back to me and I got the skis under control! Yay!

Does anyone have any advice for the lower back thing? My chiropractor treats it as a spine problem, but it doesn't get much better with his treatment so I'm thinking about trying out an osteopath.

oh and no pics just yet - think Mr Minty took some on his phone, and some of his workmates had a digital camera so we have a photo from the top of T1. My camera charger is lost!

With lower back pain I would first get a blood check for spleen cancer. Elimlnate nasty surprises.

Also the lower back area is associated to kidney, so I would look into kidney weakness. Are you drinking plenty of water in the morning? Not taking too much salt, or too little salt? Too much alcohol? Toxins? NZ is known to use too much pestisides, etc compared to OZ, etc.

Also, exersise lijke Pilates. Yoga, Rolfing, swimming will help IMO.

Originally Posted By: roscoe
Have agreat ski in those new boots capt. I have thought a bout comming over and doing a road trip flying in to Christchurch hire a car Day 1 Porters.Day 2 Mt Hutt.Day 3 Stay at Tekapo.One day at MtDobson 1 at Round hill. 1 at Ohau.I think that would be agood way to spend a week.Any feed back welcome.

I can't provide much advice on the plan as from that list I have only been to Mt Dobson (and that was last week) I live closer to the southern lakes areas so I usually end up there.
Dobson has lots of snow, but the terrain is fairly limited and its not all that big. We went there because they had lots of snow and they were closed on the monday meaning it was still fresh for the tuesday when we went. It was a great day, but without the fresh snow it would not have offered all that much. I guess you were only planning one day there so it would prob be alright.

I'll see about posting the little movie we made from footage from Mt Dobson.
Originally Posted By: Captain Stag

crinkles1.jpg

Are these what are called "Sastrugi"?
Cool Pic's BTW!
My camera - like Minty's has lost it's charger, which is not really a massive deal as I took it with a full battery and left it in the apartment EVERY day! doh

Well...I am back in Perth ... in one piece, albeit covered in bruises. To prevent fingers being pointed at Papa for spousal abuse I may have to don a burqa for the next week or so! Papa is also a tad ginger, with one knee rather larger than the other after a significant impact with a tree. But we had a great time!

The conditions were variable, but probably one of the best trips we have had to Thredbo snow cover wise. Early on in the trip Dream Run was good fun, but by the Friday afternoon it was closed as the cover was marginal to say the least. Friday saw fabulous squeaky snow cover on the Basin, but a t-bar queue to match after a few runs - and considering my annual refresher on the t-bar did not go as planned the first two times, I was un-inclined to wait for 20 minutes just to stack it and go to the back of the queue - so we ventured into the Kareela cross and Bluff to get back down to the Kosi lift.

That was all new for me - early on I was just not good enough - and then the last few trips there had not been enough to snow cover to leave the groomers...so I was pretty stoked to be able to get amongst it this time. But by Saturday it was a bit icy in patches - hence Papa's collision with a tree.

There was an international race competition going on while we were there too - plenty of ripped bodies in skin tight spiderman suits biggrin Always a good thing! And there had been boarder cross or ski-cross going on earlier in the week, and the track was just waiting for us to come and have a little play on Saturday afternoon. My friend and I went a little mental in there - the liftie having a few jokes with us about 'STILL GOING!', and then just as they were pulling down the lift barriers and we were calling it he yelled at us to get our tooshies back on the lift as there was one run left! Too funny!!

All in all a fabulous trip. Some powder (of course nothing like Niseko POW, but hey...), some sugar-y fun stuff, some bulletproof when the winds ripped through. Some new achievements, some embarrassing stacks, some good food (some bad), some drinks and good times with good friends. Sad it is all over - but seeing as I am verging on pneumonia at the moment - glad it is over also.

I pretty sure they are Sastrugi, though its the first time I have seen them. I was almost sure they would be horrendous to ride on but was very plesantly surprised when I found they were soft. I think it might have snowed on top of them after the wind event.

Originally Posted By: Captain Stag
I pretty sure they are Sastrugi, though its the first time I have seen them. I was almost sure they would be horrendous to ride on but was very plesantly surprised when I found they were soft. I think it might have snowed on top of them after the wind event.

At least that is a better surprise than the opposite which we discovered on a little off piste bit under the Snowgums chair on Saturday! Looked lovely - turned out to be bulletproof. Bulletproof and steep with lift towers in the middle aint no picnic! lol

Sounds like a brilliant trip overall MB!

Well, I have to say, the T-bar was easy as for me, a bit harder for Mr Minty because I'm about 15cm shorter, and I could see how hard it would be for boarders. Thanks for all the tips though! I wasn't scared to try it at all!

There was also tonnes of Japanese kids at Porters - a racing team or two, but also what seemed to be a school trip group. They seemed pretty good. I didn't get a chance to talk to any - was tempted to though.

Here is a photo smile a few metres to the side of T1's offload, the base is in the clouds which thankfully disappeared soon after! I was packing myself a few seconds later because there is a steepish bit which cuts across the t bar and I was a bit scared I would lose control and wipe out some kids

37990_450205559461_570214461_6086991_731

another edit!

The photo really doesn't show the run at all! but you can kind of see how little snow there is

one more edit!! Mr Minty was asked if he had gotten out his retro ski's by a random punter. Poor Mr Minty was on them for the first time, though they are second hand and about four seasons old. But he had a sad face after that. I think the next big purchase after Japan will have to be some new skis for him. Turn that frown upside down!

They seem a bit short on snow there minty, I thought that the Canterbury fields were in better shape.

The retro ski call was a bit rough, 4 years isnt that old! I just wish mine lasted that long, they tend to get destroyed after a couple of seasons.

Last weekend at Remarks was pretty good too.. Too good for messing about with a camera on the Saturday but on the sunday all the easy pow was gone and we had to hike for it so we had time to film some of it. With the lower quality clips for the internet it gets a bit hard to see some of the more distant shots but I'm sure you get the idea.

Nice videos stag! Really enjoyed the Dobson one - it was nice to see some good snow and people actually getting to enjoy it (rather than the field being closed and then getting rained on like we seem to be getting up here)

Yeah the snow was pretty crap really Stag. Way too much ice in some rather dodgy bits too - Mr Minty's workmate fell off the cat track just above the offload for T1 lol. The powder that was left was still really heavy from all the rain.

I am nursing somewhat postponed aches today - especially my ribs & the front of my hips - my first fall was so hard onto ice that it winded me. I was really struggling to get an edge eh. Not fun.

I had a big go at Mr Minty for pushing me too hard because I was holding him back. Kind of wish he had let me be so I could work on my technique rather than get further up the field.

Re Mr Mintys skis - I don't think they were used much before he got them, apart from one small chunk out of the base they're pretty mint.

Jynxx - lol, I have no idea what you are talking about, but I'm guessing skis or a board - we have some Lacroix virage 205's (??) sitting in the hallway. They're Mr's - I have vowed never to touch straight ski's again after an ill-fated encounter at Whakapapa many years ago.