"just a broken bone" doesn't accurately describe it really Jynxx.

1. It is a very nasty break, and he has been SO lucky to have had one of the top ankle guys in Perth on the sidelines to immediately reduced the fracture before it started to swell - it meant he has so far avoided open surgery.

2. He currently has an open cast that requires rebandaging every morning. Once the swelling is reduced and an xray confirms the bones are STILL in a good position he can get the fibre glass cast. Once the FG cast is on I will be happy to go and leave him - not before.

3. It was only last night that he got through only on over the counter pain killers. I wouldn't leave my 5ft Mum looking after my 6ft/95kg 13 yr old monster who is still wobbley on his crutches and doped up on pain meds.

But having said that the improvement in his pain levels/ability on crutches and independence is giving me great hope for getting over for a long weekend.

One problem we have though is his bedroom is upstairs. We got him upstairs when we came home from hospital day before yesterday, but I would be worried about my Mum helping him up and down them - he is just too big for her if he falls. So he might have to move into one of his brothers rooms downstairs while we are away.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm touched by your care, and I feel very sorry for the guy.

BUT. it's still a broken bone. Non life threatening. And he is in a hospital so what more care does one need.

Been there. You can take max amount of pain killers and still hurts bad. Can't do anything, just put up with it. Open cast is great. I always cut my cast in two so I can take it off and re bandage,

I wouldn't go up and down the stairs if he is clumsy on the clutches. Personally, I can take a shower, hop on one leg, just a hassle imo. Good training for him.

But back on topic...

a couple of backcountry tourers had to be rescued from the NSW snowy mountains after their tent blew away last night in the blizzard conditions.

Much as I am tempted to give the back country a good crack...I think on a blizzard-y night the warm comfort of the lodge would be much more preferable.

I was just trying to figure out how much damage the rain done when I cam across this discription of current conditions

"Very good skiing and riding on firm spring snow with a frost dried surface. Main trails have been groomed overnight providing a grippy corduroy surface. Tracked and packed firm spring snow with a frost dried surface in off piste areas."

Not quite sure what to imagine the snow might be like after reading that, it's "very good" though.

definately get him the giant condom thing to go over the cast for showering...

order it asap, by the time you need it you wont want to wait for days for it to arrive.

Broken ankle was one of the most frustrating things I have ever had to put up with.

not the one I had but this sort of thing http://www.showerdri.com/

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
And he is in a hospital so what more care does one need.

Incorrect.
He is now at home.
And it is the amount of care I am having to give him that I do not want to burden my mother with.
If the burden lessens (which it looks like it will) I will go and leave her with it.

As for the open cast.
No it is not great. It has been necessary. But having complete through and through breaks (and spirals at that) in both leg bones until he get's the fibre glass on and the post fibre glass xray says the bones are in the right position we can not rule out the possibility of him needing surgical repair. I have dealt with Powder Baby having a broken arm that was rebandaged every day, but that break was in a completely different league to the break BFG has of his leg.
Originally Posted By: Captain Stag
definately get him the giant condom thing to go over the cast for showering...
not the one I had but this sort of thing http://www.showerdri.com/
Thanks for that suggestion!
We have done the shower thing once so far (bed baths prior to that), and gearing up for another shower today. We are double bagging the leg with heavy duty garbage bags (as recommended by the hospital) - we are under strict instructions to ensure NO water at all near it while it is the light open plaster. And he has to keep it elevated even while showering until the fibre glass. So we have a shower chair and a higher shower stool, and anti slip mats. Will be fine. But I would like to see him improve to do most of it himself before I leave him with my Mum.

God I hate injuring myself. There's those few seconds after you know you've done something really bad before the pain hits and you just think to yourself oh bugger, here comes a month or two of pain and recovery! Luckily haven't had a break for quite a long time now though. I did dislocate my shoulder for a 2nd time this last winter but managed to pop it back in myself within a few seconds so it recovered very quickly.

Originally Posted By: Captain Stag
I was just trying to figure out how much damage the rain done when I cam across this discription of current conditions

"Very good skiing and riding on firm spring snow with a frost dried surface. Main trails have been groomed overnight providing a grippy corduroy surface. Tracked and packed firm spring snow with a frost dried surface in off piste areas."

Not quite sure what to imagine the snow might be like after reading that, it's "very good" though.

eek, sounds like ice to me.

Mt Hutt today (Hanmer trip has been cancelled, but a Mt Hutt trip is on the cards, more snow pls, god I wish we had more money atm - so getting season passes next year)
Lower mountain snow depth: 130 cm
Upper mountain snow depth: 155 cm
Snow surface: Machine Groomed
A top-up of new snow yesterday (5cm) has improved the snow quality both on and off-trail. All main trails have been groomed wide and flat overnight and will offer the best skiing and riding today. Firm conditions off trail - suitable for experts only.

Hi all, long time no post..

Just got back last night for a boys weekend at Thredbo. I'm a sadist. I chose to go snowboarding when for the last 3 months I've been suffering a cartilage injury in my right knee. We stayed at the River Inn which is at the Friday Flats end of Thredbo.

Here's a mini TR for a mini trip.

Thursday: Finished work at lunch time then caught a plane from Brisbane to Canberra. First time in Canberra, but don't think much of it.

Friday: We left Canberra early to get on the road to Thredbo asap. There was stacks of fog, and couldn't see much until we reached Bredbo (a small town inbetween Canberra and Cooma). Arrived at Thredbo after a short stop in Jindabyne. We left our luggage in the luggage area at our hotel and suited up and headed out on hired boards/skis. Icy conditions, runs patchy with ice, rocks/dirt and fake snow. This made braking very hard, as trying to slow down on ice when your board is twisting/banging, sending shocks through your stuffed knee made me whimper like a girl after doing about 5 runs or so. Went to the bar and then caught the bus up to the main village area, where a visit to the supermarket and chemist saw me dosed up with pain killers. Had dinner in the hotel, not very good quality...

Saturday: More of the same. We headed out early to get some clean runs, but with High Noon being the only way down to Friday Flats, it gets hacked up very quickly. Although they had the snow-blowers on overnight, there were huge patches of ice and death nuggets galore. Fortunately, I had my leg strapped and tiger balmed, and painkillers and anti-inflammatories doing there stuff. We started over at Merrits again, but headed over to Super Trail which was also sketchy in areas. All day it kept switching between rain, sleet and ice (it was more heavy sleet than snow). Headed back to the room for a late pizza lunch, but I decided to take it easy, as I didn't want to axe myself on the deteriorating conditions. Had dinner (greasy chicken parm) at the bar in the village, and watched the first half of the Bledisloe (not a rugby fan) before we headed back to the hotel.

Sunday: Awoke to the glorious sight of fresh powder on the trees outside. It had snowed overnight quite a bit, so we ate breakfast early before heading out and cutting some of the first turns on High Noon. It was much nicer to be boarding on fresh snow, and where there was dirt and ice yesterday, there was sufficient cover today. Played around Merrits and Antons T-Bar for a while, but visibility was appalling, as it was cloudy, snowy and my goggles were fogging up between the 2 lenses. Played around Anton's some more after stopping briefly, but by 3pm I was out of energy, so I headed back towards the hotel via High Noon, but the crisscrossed snow had uncovered the ice from yesterday. Also being out of energy I took a couple of washouts, with a whole heap of snow going up under my shirt and jacket.

That was it. I was done. I had hurt my shoulder slightly coming down but with my knee giving up the ghost and the stupid cheap hire bindings and overly flexible board, I had very little control.

I didn't have a bad time, but after spending the last 3 trips in Japan, it just can't compare. It was cold, rainy and windy for 2 days and even on Sunday when it did snow, it was so moist, that it made me wet through 30000mm waterproofing. The runs were boring (no turns/technical areas), and made me retire earlier than I otherwise would have, even with injuries. I'd probably take Perisher/BC/Guthega over Thredbo for this alone.

Also, the reports were saying 55cm. While there was quite a lot of snow falling, I'd say it was only about 40-45cm.

So there you have it. Screw you Japan, you've raised my expectations too high. razz

I've stayed at River Inn before. On a girls trip. Breakfast was included. We went to have breakfast on the first morning, took one look and said 'ahhh..this is a GIRLS getaway - no way I am eating school dinner like slop even if it IS included'. The pub does a decent steak sandwich - but there are MUCH better dining options available in Thredbo. Did you try the Brazilian BBQ, T-bar or The Denman? They are all fabulous.

Schneeboard: I still had fun, as being in the snow with mates is always decent. I'm just spoiled from having fantastic, dry jappow for the last 3 years.

MB: We ate at the Bar above Heller Keller(greasy parm) and Ullr (steak and pepper sauce) for dinner, and lunch at various places. The steak wasn't bad at Ullr's and the sauce was nice. I'm just lucky that my mum is such a fantastic cook and foodie, though it makes you very picky when you pay good money but get much better food at home.

Give the ones I recommended a crack Sciclone, if you go back.

The food is good. There are always some places that think they can dish up whatever, or have inexperienced/uncommitted staff, and think they can get away with it with the captive audience. But there are some places on mountain and in the village who take great pride in the fare they serve - and it really shows.

I am actually a pretty decent cook myself, and my kids will complain if the food is not glorious, so we tend not to eat at the greasy spoon options.

Hope the young bloke is feeling better and you get to Thredbo MB.Speaking of food I remember Merritts on the Mountian fantastic when we where there in 2008.Best on mount food in Aus & NZ by far. biggrin

Merritts is great - but lunchtime is super busy!

I reckon they should stick a good high speed lift in place of the old Merritts lift and run it day and night, and put permanent lighting up there so that Cruiser can be used for Night Skiing and Merritts can be open for dinner.

Thanks for the thoughts about BFG roscoe. Good News: I just booked our flights and car, and had one of the other couples over to loan the wife (new skier) some gear. So all things being equal we will both go. BFG is improving every day, and asked to go to Rugby Training tomorrow - a wheelchair outing to catch up with his mates and tell the gory foot at right angles to the leg stories. thumbsup

I like the chair lift and night sking idea.T :)wo familys of friends get to Thredbo to day should be a good week for them.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
How is the season going down there? Past the 'peak' now?
God I hope not! Would make it the shortest real season on record I think. It really only got going in Aus about 2 weeks ago.

Next couple of weeks will tell, graphs of the past 10 years show that it reaches its peak around the third week of August. There a possibility of another fall of snow this coming Tue/wed, maybe 10 -20cm but we will still be along way behind what we normally have around this time of the year.

sadface Fellow died at Perisher (Guthega) today.

Skiing an intermediate run with his family - hit a tree.

Very sad indeed... I always hate to hear these things.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/08/08/2976883.htm

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/former-nine-reporter-dies-skiing-20100808-11q3k.html