• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Opposite - the north island resorts get a much thicker ice cap? snow pack? than the southern fields and it takes a long time to melt. They also have all the local skiers where southern fields are more tourist driven.

so the north island resorts are open till mid novemeber this year and almost all south island ones are closed now bar mt hutt and broken river (i think)

still lots of snow about for touring and more on the way this weekend it looks like.

• 2 months later...

Pouring down rain in Perth at the moment, but far too hot to be anything other than rain.

Bit of snow in the lead up to school holidays should see some people within a few hours drive of the mountains head up and have some fun with it - snowball fights, posed Christmas Photo's and the like. I would - if I could drive there in a few hours.

Originally Posted By: smostyn
That is amazing. Middle of summer and its snowing.

Not that unusual to get snow in Dec. And it's not even the solstice yet so hardly what you would consider the 'middle of summer'. In many countries they don't even consider the summer has started until after the solstice.

Lots of people locally went and played.

It was just enough for some fun, but not enough for skiing or boarding (at least not that has been reported).

Some cute footage of little Falls Creek local kids with their Santa hats on making snowmen.

Having seen what MikePow and his mates slide on, I have a open mind to what may be enough to have a go.

Actually this is big news for me. Never thought there is probability of white X´mas in Australia!

Very cool.

Snow on the higher parts of the mountains in Aus is not that unusual in December at all. In Tasmania it can snow in any month of the year up on the higher parts (which are not really that high)