I agree not the most exciting start to a world cup (and already 1 week nearly over)

Not too sure on the South Africa comment, lack of excitement because the WC is there? (or just the noise?)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting back to scousers points, I think people don't get so enthusiastic about England because

1. Too much association with the NF and other extreme ringwingers. Look at that match that was abandoned first half in Norn. Plus too many lost-in-a-time-warp tossers with their oompah band. Can we have something with universal appeal like Madness, The Clash, Oasis even? No, its the Great Escape. Bring up the freaking war again and a film best known for an American riding a motorbike.

2. Too many managers and players using the team for their own commercial ends. Too many ads with players, too many ghost-written columns, too many books the second any tournment finishes. Too many players like Beckham and Owen treating their place as a god given right.

3. As scouser says, too many dismal performances. As Euro 96 showed, when the team does produce, people do get behind them.

For me personally, if the fans were a bit more representative of England in 2010 and not just fifty-year old Daily Mail readers, and the team were a bit more humble, I'd have a lot more time for them. I guess Germans, Italians, (non-Catalan) Spaniards, etc. don't have the same issues.

Quote:
2. Too many managers and players using the team for their own commercial ends. Too many ads with players, too many ghost-written columns, too many books the second any tournment finishes. Too many players like Beckham and Owen treating their place as a god given right.

Exacary. Too many overpaid prima-donnas thinking they own the world and can do nothing wrong.

Reminds me of that time England visited on a summer tour. I was unfortunate enough to be in the same bar they decided to call on. Paul Ince, the little bag of shit, got out a wad of $1000 notes and started to slap the barman over the head with it. **** me is that funny? Dicks.
Quote:
It's official - this is the most boring World Cup in history. A sweeping statement, I know, but according to statistics for the first round of group matches, there have been fewer goals scored at this stage of the competition than at any point in the last 80 years.

And it's not as if there are just one or two goals in it. Mexico 1986, the closest to South Africa 2010 in terms of goals scored, managed seven more after the first 16 games.

Now, I know that exciting football is not all about goals. Wednesday produced the sort of shock which makes this such a wonderful event, favourites Spain coming unstuck 1-0 against Switzerland.

It was hardly vintage Brazil on Tuesday, but Dunga's selecao showed flashes of the individual brilliance we have come to expect from the most successful team in World Cup history.

Even some of the goalless draws have been compelling, so as ever, it is unwise to pin too much faith on statistics.

But the overwhelming sense here and at home is that this World Cup is yet to match the vibrancy of the South African fans who have created a carnival atmosphere. Even the freezing weather in Johannesburg and the soggy conditions in Cape Town have failed to silence the blare of the vuvuzelas.

So why has the football been so disappointing?

Most people seem to be pointing the finger of blame at the swerving Jabulani, the controversial adidas match ball, which has upset so many players and managers.

England manager Fabio Capello says it is the worst he has ever seen, while striker Wayne Rooney described it as a "nightmare". The word being used most commonly by goalkeepers and strikers is unpredictable.

Certainly the German players seemed to have a major advantage in having used the ball in the Bundesliga for the last year in producing the most emphatic performance of the tournament so far, their 4-0 thrashing of Australia.

Former England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson, now coaching Ivory Coast, has called for a meeting to discuss the problems with the ball. But world governing body Fifa and ball manufacturers adidas say there is no need as there is nothing wrong with it. Players just need to get used to it.

The counter to that argument, of course, is that an unpredictable ball should make life interesting as it makes it far harder for goalkeepers than attacking players. For whatever reason, that hasn't happened so far.
Quote:
Certainly the German players seemed to have a major advantage in having used the ball in the Bundesliga for the last year in producing the most emphatic performance of the tournament so far, their 4-0 thrashing of Australia.

Its been used in other leagues as well, USA, I think Argentina as well. Addidas offered it to every domestic league prior to the world cup but some leagues had deals with other manufacturer's so couldn't use the ball.