Days with a bit of both are the best. It's nice to have some company on the trip there and back too.

I hate always waiting for somebody else - the more people you ride with, the more dicking about there is.

I much prefer riding with other people but if they cant keep the pace I usually go off on my own and meet up with the others later. Going out for whole days on my own is good, but the lifts are boring and you dont have anyone else to egg you on so I find that I usually bail a bit earlier when Im by myself. I dont mind waiting for people if the day is nothing special. People waited for me when I was slower so I think its part of the code but of course there is a limit to how long Ill wait and on which days. I prefer riding in groups of about 4, too many and I get groupphobia and bail

Carving the first tracks through some fresh powder is always great, but riding alone can get a little boring - even with the mini disk turned up to 11. Part of the fun of boarding is kicking back with your mates at the end of the day, having a beer or two and enjoying the post-match discussion. The spills, the jumps, the injuries, the warp speed tree runs, etc. If you're by yourself, its not quite the same.

Going out alone is also probably a little dangerous, particularly if you're going to go off piste.

Ocean, I agree with you about waiting for people. I reckon the time spent standing around increases at an expedential rate with every additional person. The ideal group, depending on the mix of skill level, is probably 3-4 people. Even a mix of skiiers and boarders is fine if the respective skill levels are right.

I love riding with good friends...but I must admit, I really enjoy riding alone...

Riding alone is very meditative for me...it is hands down one of the greatest sensations, spiritually and physically, that I know...

enlightenment through powder \:D

danz

I go with freinds, but like badmigs says I go faster than most and I have a really bad tendency to explore and often disappear in the tress or down some shoot.

In fact my exploring led to the one of the best runs I have had in my life at Snowbird in Utah. I am sure badmigs will attest to this. On every turn we found some of the deepest and steepest powder turns ever!

Everyone should ride with friends so you can share the stoke and push each other over the edge of those little fear barriers we have. Positive peer pressure.

how about if we look at this thread from a different perspective. when you do ride with others do you ride with the same snow gender (i.e. all snowboarders, all skiers, all freeheelers, or all saucer boy's).

my friends tend to be a mix of both boarders and freeheelers (all alpiners i know turned to tele) but i actually find it more enjoyable to ride with my own kind (tele). not cuz i don't like boarders but because we ride the mountain totally differently. on tele we are much more prone to traverse or sniff out stuff because it is really easy to do so without a heel attached. my border brothers tend to do more fall line stuff and stay away from any powder flats (that would require post holing out).

although...some of my favorite days are when i hit it solo, crank the ipod, and go from group to group. hit a run or two with one group of friends, ditch them, and then hit some more runs with a few other people. repeat, repeat, repeat.

I'm the same. I like being with good buddies, but at the same time being on your own and doing just what you want is something special.

I had one nightmare day once when we were in a big group and seemed to spend most of the day trying to find each other. No good.

I find I ride much better on my own - I don't always have to be chasing after people who are better and don't really give a shit for my safety (well, some of them). My high dive into the ice boulders at Nozawa was exacerbated by my mate cutting in front of me at the last moment causing me to go off the higher part of the lip and thus impact all the harder. Cheers mate!

I agree with danz about the meditation aspect - you don't get that riding in a pack -- although feral pack behaviour like fighting for lead position can make gelende riding more fun.

I would rather ride with friends. I dont care if the ski or board. I also will ride alone if I have too. I Japan I tend to get the leader tag cause I go exploring. I dont mind having to hike out of a mistake. Those little tours usally lead to the best stuff.

Yo Steeno what is a "saucer boy"? This season I have had very very few days with skiers, and the only one who had any balls was in Niseko with Danz (and he had more than enough). I didnt realise until then how nice it is to ski with skiers. Classic example was a sweet powder run that required a bit of a traverse. Nothing too bad on skis but the boarders werent up for it so Danz and I nailed it all afternoon.

I hate to say it but most of the skiers I know are a bit soft for me (not that Im particularly hard)

i'll have to hook up with you boys next season for some powder feasting on two sticks.

saucer boy...was a farse played by shayne McConkey in one of TGR's films a couple years back. he was the one 'trolling an AK heli launch lot wearing a ghetto outfit, ropes, and a bottle of jack daniels. he is someone we should all aspire to be at one point in our lives.

Sorry Mogs Im outta here in July and Danz is going in the Autumn too I think. Ill be hitting NZ at the end of August for a long holiday though so will be getting some more snow! I really would have liked to ride with you though, seriously.

yes its true...

I'm outta here as well sometime this summer...

sad, but its time to move on...

on the + side, I might be based out of Golden, CO for the next 4 yrs or so...so swing by my way for some good riding...tap the rockies!

danz

It`s been about half and half this season. Weekdays I usually ride alone, on weekends it`s almost always with my other boarding bastards. I totally agree with that thing about being able to meditate and "express" yourself when riding alone. But I also appreciate a good fun day with my buddies and the sense of comradary(spl?)that comes with it. That`s why I`m glad I`ve been able to do both. \:\)

I like both.

Fortunately I know a few people at the resort that I go to, so I can usually hook up with a few other if I want to.

By yourself is good to practise stuff and get little skills nailed, while riding with others is good for the company, doing runs you might not do otherwise, and stretching your ability that bit further.