Ten people on a snowboarding tour including five Germans were killed on Saturday when their helicopter was buried by an avalanche in eastern Russia, officials said.

A total of 18 people, a mix of German and Russian citizens, were on the helicopter snowboarding trip in the remote Kamchatka peninsula in Russia's far east when the accident happened, officials quoted by news agencies said.

Eight of them managed to escape but five German citizens and five Russians were killed when the avalanche swamped the helicopter while it was on the ground, burying victims in up to 15 metres of snow.

'The eight accident survivors include one Russian citizen, six Germans and one Belgian,' a spokesman for Russia's emergency situations ministry was quoted as saying by Interfax news agency.

The incident occurred about 50 kilometres west of Petropavlovsk-Kamchatka, the main city on the peninsula, the reports said.

You obviously dont have much up there in your head, the height of the mtns in Japan arent worth a heli, they arent far from top lifts, and theyre certainly not worth the money they charge for as far as it is saved in hiking. Why dont you go to Alaska and do some heli skiing? I can totally understand the reasons then. Japan, not one.

Yes, quite sad for the victims. The Polish govt has taken a massive hit (again). How sad.

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
the height of the mtns in Japan arent worth a heli, they arent far from top lifts, and theyre certainly not worth the money they charge for as far as it is saved in hiking. Why dont you go to Alaska and do some heli skiing? I can totally understand the reasons then. Japan, not one.

Yes, quite sad for the victims. The Polish govt has taken a massive hit (again). How sad.

why aren't they?? You can walk places in a number of hours but most people would still take the train. If I feel that the heli is worth it then who are you to say its not? Its my money and I'll do what I want with it, if I wanna burn it and dance around the resulting pyre naked, I will and your opinion of whether its a manly thing to do or not will have not 1 jot of difference

Quote:
You obviously dont have much up there in your head,

yawn
all hail King Creek Boy
rolleyes

People* simply wanting to is one good reason.

It makes for a very different exprience, and something you can't usually do.

I would guess most people have never been in a helicopter over mountains either.

[* wimps of course]

I agree.

Some people want to have that different exprience and while they want to try our some backcountry they aren't keen on the idea of hiking. There is definitely a market for it and I would say more people would be interested.

It is quite expensive though.

Heli skiing in Japan could be well worth it in my opinion. The mountains in the Japanese Alps are as high as anything you'd heli in Canada or Alaska and there are plenty of peaks not directly accessed by lifts. There'd be huge hoops to jump through though to get permission to access these peaks by heli. I agree that the current operations hardly seem worth it but if they had truly professional operations of the likes you have in Alaska or Canada then it would be more than worth it.

Heli skiing is all about the experience IMO.

It's not about how many runs or how long the runs are or how many dollars per run.

It's about being treated like a rock star and being chauffeured around the peaks by a chopper for the day.

I'm happy to hike the peaks too, that's just a different experience again.

I spent a whole season working for CMH Heli skiing in BC, Canada some years ago. It is truly an awesome experience to get dropped off on a remote peak by a helicopter. It's not cheap but if you can afford it definitely do it.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
If I feel that the heli is worth it then who are you to say its not? Its my money and I'll do what I want with it, if I wanna burn it and dance around the resulting pyre naked, I will and your opinion of whether its a manly thing to do or not will have not 1 jot of difference

Funny. One person offers a different perspective and people get up tight, just like in your "heli" thread lol
Originally Posted By: SKI
Cool Go Native. What were you doing, tour leading?

I just worked in the kitchen of the hotel the CMH guests stayed in in Revelstoke. It was evening work and if there was a spot on the helicopter staff got to rotate taking it. Clients had an upper limit on the vertical they got for their money unless they wanted to pay more and so it was not uncommon for some of them to take a day off during their week there. Over the season got I got about 7 days of free heli skiing in. Rest of the time was mostly spent skiing backcountry on Mt Revelstoke of out from Rogers Pass. That was a great winter....
Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
If I feel that the heli is worth it then who are you to say its not? Its my money and I'll do what I want with it, if I wanna burn it and dance around the resulting pyre naked, I will and your opinion of whether its a manly thing to do or not will have not 1 jot of difference

Funny. One person offers a different perspective and people get up tight, just like in your "heli" thread lol

Its you who got uptight mate, not me.

Ahhh.. we are all guity of internet forum bravado from time to time. These forums can be wierd shit. There's no way people would talk to each other face to face the same way as they do over the internet.