Snow town people - done it yet?

My Japanese friend reckons it will snow once more before the real end of the snowfalls this season. I think they're mad!!

Not as good as I would like - some of my friends (with cars) aren't quite as keen as going as often as I am. Theres been a few cancelled trips this season, but it's been good all the same. Not over yet either, hopefully. Not quite...

• 1 month later...

Last year I got stuck in a 150cm 3 day storm.

Ski Resorts in Nagano average a base of around 300 cms every year.The snow line is a little lower than Canada also. Just think of Japan as Vancouver island with colder temps. You need snow tires or chains to get on the highway or roads sometimes. Get the international lisence.

You'll really need snow tyres if you are living in a snow place for sure. Chains are pain, noisy as well as not too friendly to road surfaces.

• 4 weeks later...

They wear out making them less effective on snow, and they're not good in rain. Stopping on a wet road takes about 1/3 longer with snow tyres. (My JAF magazine had a very informative article about it in early spring...)

It depends where youre living but if youre going to the mtn often then youre gonna need snow tires. If you live in a place where it snows lots (I think Takayama does) then youre gonna want them. Its just such a pain having to put chains on off on off on off on off. Well worth the money if the car doesnt have them anyway.

• 3 weeks later...