1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

OK in the Marunuma Kogen thread there was a bit of talk about lifts without safety bars.

So lets polling.

I wonder what % of lifts have safety bars.

Lets list of resorts with lifts that don't have safety bars. It doesn't bother me as I don't have kids, but I can see how it might. I'm surprised that Japan doesn't have some law about it either, knowing how 'protective' it is of the flock.

wink

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely hate hate hate when people put down the bar without telling you or looking to see if you are paying attention.

I cannot tell you how many idiots from Texas I have almost killed because I was brushing snow off my boot and they threw the bar down right into the back of my head. veryangry

In 30 years on the hill, i can only remember 2 times when I've seen someone fall out of a lift, and i beleive both had safety bars. the problem in both cases wasn't them falling off, it was someone getting on improperly and clinging to the lift as it went up.

@iiyama,

LOL, I love those meat hook looking single person lifts. There's one in Higashiyama in Niseko right at the top of the mountain that I particularly like coz it can really start swaying. As well, there is one at Akakura Kanko but it's a little closer to the ground so not quite as exciting.

Originally Posted By: iiyamadude
One of my favourite lift is the one-person lift at Madarao Kogen. Steep steepness, very small tray like 'seat', no safety bar. It's a thriller!!

That sounds cool. There's an ancient one at Iwatake but over almost flat terrain, just to get people from town to the bottom of the slopes.

I never put down the gay bar. Live on the edge!

Seats are so ergonomic and comfty these days, you probably don't need one. No wiggling to get comfty but nowdays people take mobile phone calls they probably fall off themselves when they drop their phone. Also they didn't have six seaters in the old days and some people would feel comfort having something to hold onto in front, or when a big bugger next to you shuffles.

I do like the foot rest that comes with it, makes it really comfty when you have a board !

as i said in another thread

"you would actually think it would be a Law to have manditory safety bars on all chairs above 2m.

I know in australia if you go above 2m you should wear a harness or be in an enclosed/barricaded area.

just sounds abit dodgy because if someone does fall it could actually be a very big lawsuit.

just my 2 cents."

I was actually meant to post in here >.>

Originally Posted By: stemik
Originally Posted By: muikabochi
I don't think I've ever heard of anyone falling off one of them.

I do - my son.

thats terrible! what happened?? did any bones get broken or did he just land in the nice fluffy stuff ??

he was on the lift and yes he was messing about. He fell about 5m so not too bad. As he fell we think his knee hit his nose. There was blood everywhere.

He was ok, shaken up a little.

In Japan a detachable chairlift requires a safety bar all others do not.