• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

Originally Posted By: Korbzy
just sounds abit dodgy because if someone does fall it could actually be a very big lawsuit.

Only if the law of the land caters for such ridiculous cases. Australia, the US and UK are very litigious. In the UK school trips are cancelled because of prohibitive insurance costs from parents suing over accidents. In Japan, where people are regularly burnt or crushed to death at events such as the Nozawa fire festival and the the Suwa log thing, I'm guessing there's a more common sense approach. If you fall off a chairlift, YOU are to blame. End of story.

But sorry to hear about your son, stemik. Surviving a 5 meter fall pretty much unhurt is impressive. And I have heard myself of kids falling off lifts but I don't know if they had safety bars or not.
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure I am too keen on the compulsory ski jump either! veryshocked

Safety Bars... do I choose not to ride lifts without them ---> No.

Would I prefer them ---> Yes.

Mostly because I am used to them, used to having something to lean on and grab hold of in front of me. I enjoy the break from the weight of the board if there is a foot rest as well.

I WAS concerned about the lack of a safety bar on the Family lift in Niseko 2 yrs ago, but I am much more comfortable on a lift now - so it really wouldn't worry me. Mostly conquered my fear of heights.

Kids and lift accidents - the danger spots are more often the load and unload rather than the travel. We have had accidents or witnessed accidents getting on and off the lift --- mostly when the lifties were running the lifts fast and fully loaded during school holidays in Falls Creek, but also elsewhere. Sometimes it makes sense to partially load a lift chair to give a newbie some room so they can get on and off cleanly and therefore not stop the whole dang lift while the mess it sorted out.

I don't care about safety bars one way or another -- except, as Mitch wrote, when some idiot smashes one down on my head without warning.

But the one on the quad at Hirafu is a joke because the damn footrest is on too short an extension to be usable for anyone my size. Seems designed for kids, which raises the question then of why use it when there are only adults on the chair.

Originally Posted By: The Skiing Lawyer
Those one man lifts are scarily small though. Do any one man lifts have any lind of safety bar? I can't recall seeing one.

And, is there a one woman lift? naughty
Originally Posted By: JA
Those one man lifts are scarily small though. Do any one man lifts have any lind of safety bar? I can't recall seeing one.

And, is there a one woman lift? naughty

Yup, right in my lap evilgrin
haha~ couldn't resist! bud no worries, I'm not sexist, I think there should be a one woman lift as well and it'll queue up just as bad as your toilets I'd assume dance boom on a roll!!!
TDo any one man lifts have any lind of safety bar? I can't recall seeing one.

Never seen one in Japan, now that you mention it. (Not that I've been that many places.)

Maybe it's the rule that stemik mentioned -- I guess that means only high-speed lifts are required to have bars? Not much demand for high-speed singles, I suppose.
Originally Posted By: stemik
Originally Posted By: muikabochi
I don't think I've ever heard of anyone falling off one of them.

I do - my son.

Me too. I saw a 10 year old boy fall out of a chair 30 feet down, splat..not good.
Originally Posted By: Korbzy
as i said in another thread

"you would actually think it would be a Law to have manditory safety bars on all chairs above 2m.

I know in australia if you go above 2m you should wear a harness or be in an enclosed/barricaded area.

just sounds abit dodgy because if someone does fall it could actually be a very big lawsuit.

just my 2 cents."

I was actually meant to post in here >.>

That's because Australia is the ultimate nanny state and there's hardly a damned thing you can do without some law enforcing some safety measure or other. Thankfully Japan is a lot more relaxed (probably because they don't have anywhere near the litigation issues you have in Aus). I don't mind no safety bar, even when there is one I rarely worry about putting it down.
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
The only 1 seater lift with a safety bar I have seen is in Scotland at Glenshee.....this thing is REALLY antiquated.

The single chair lift at Mad River Glen in the US also has a safety bar. (Another antique classic.)
Originally Posted By: Metabo Oyaji
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
The only 1 seater lift with a safety bar I have seen is in Scotland at Glenshee.....this thing is REALLY antiquated.

The single chair lift at Mad River Glen in the US also has a safety bar. (Another antique classic.)

But is it as ancient as THIS?
tripler_9.JPG