• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

POW - hello!? lots and lots and top ups so freshies can still be found at night!

Clear - sometimes after a low vis day the snow clears and allows for the best riding of the day(loose interpretation of day)

Peaceful - something magical about being under lights (good lights) without the crowds of the day - no day trippers, no boozers and most of the kids are at home in bed.

Sweet - had to say it.

More - unlike the night ski that is offered here in Oz where the places closes at 4.30 and then reopens at 6pm for a mere 3 hours of icey poorly lit slope time (on one run), Niseko (pretty much all of Niseko) remains open throughout. So where you were perhaps checking your watch thinking DANG the lifts close in 20 minutes I dont want to stop, in Niseko THEY DONT smile There is more. And it is good.

Amen.

my only experience of Nighta was at Naeba last year. Previous to that I didn't like the idea of it but after I can see how it'd be good. The conditions at Naeba during the day were crap, icy and packed. But as the sun dipped the clouds came and started snowing, giving us a nice layer to slide around in.....it wasn't knee deep powder.....and the crowds waned meaning that we had some of the best runs of the day even although the run at Naeba is quite short (maybe that just shows how bad the day was!!)

The nighta up here can be really, really nice. The colder temps mean the snow can be incredibly light and if it's been dumping throughout the day it can be deep and untracked. If the cloud is just above the lights you can get enough light reflected back down around the hill so that you can do plenty of treed runs as well. I've even done Miharashi a couple of times at night. It can be bloody cold though so make sure you really rug up.

I have had some of my best experiences boarding at night in Hirafu, but also some of my worst. The weather obviously plays a huge factor. If it hasn't snowed for a while, the runs at night are just chewed up and the trees are tracked out. You have to remember that you are now boarding the longest period before grooming. This can go from average to down right horrible if the wind is up.

If it has snowed during the day and is dumping that night...you are in for a memorable experience. There is nothing better than going down the front of the mountain flat chat in 6 to 12 inches of fresh snow while most people are in the bars and not on the mountain.