Well I have been out of Japan for a bit and not really looking at the news -- how are the elections going? I read one Newsweek article that basically said the current leading party has all but lost. Surely no?!? Is there actually going to be a change.

What a shame I have missed all the noisy shouting from vans.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: snowboarder
If these new dudes get in, what kind of sweeping change will we instantly see (he asks with only a small hint of sarcasm)?

probably the same sweeping changes that came rushing in when Labour beat the Tories in the UK and those that Obama has rushed through since his inauguration in America shifty

DPJ talking about changing all kinds.

Basically I like them, they seem more enlightened about immigration and rights for foriegners.

The only thing I dont like is that they want to make the highways free, I think that is a totally crazy idea. We need trucks to move cargo around quickly, and I want to get to Nagano in 6 hours not 8 every time and am happy to pay a premium for it. Also, what happens to all the investment in ETC facilities etc - madness.

This morning as I was driving along a country road I stopped at a junction and a procession of 7 vehicles went past. One van in the middle and 3 large cars either side, each with 4 people in the same clothes, white gloves and waving out of the window. Got to wonder what good 25+ people waving to no-one and saying "yoroshiku" and "gambarimasu" will do. Do they not realise how absurd it is? Got a few funny looks from one or two of the wavers are they realised I was a gaijin.

Van 1:

- hello!

- i am mr Tanaka!

- please vote for me

- hello!

- i am mr Tanaka!

- please vote for me

- (repeats endlessly)

Van 2:

- hello!

- i am mr Nakata!

- please vote for me

- hello!

- i am mr Nakata!

- please vote for me

- (repeats endlessly)

Van 3-8:

-(same as above)

Sorry, but how is this useful to anyone?

I really think it should be illegal. it is noise pollution.

The crazy thing is they are not allowed to campaign online. that would be such an effective, environmentally friendly and logical way to get the message about your policies out.