• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So, it's very stormy out there and the lifts are closed. The openings at some of the ski resorts in Tirol are postponed till next weekend.

It's been a warm week and no improvement to the conditions, no fresh snow ... just enough drop of temperature in the valley so there's 10 cm, like that

I definitely got lucky in end of Oct~ beginning Nov with the fresh dump.

So when's it gonna start snowing in Honshu??

Well, weathernews is now saying 12月中旬ã‹ã‚‰å†¬ã‚‰ã—ã„天気ã«ï¼Žã€€Which I think means its gonna turn cold from the middle of December! Bring it on!

I think the last two seasons there was hardly any snow in Honshu until just a few days before new year - I remember worrying about the lack of snow for the holidays, so its good to see the Japanese forecast actually predicting snow and cold weather...let hope they've got it right!

last season the first major "dump" in a lot of places especially in honshu started on x'mas day and continued into the 27th.. so if last year is any indication the colder, snow inducing weather should be on its way!

X'mas parties starting in Muenchen.

Looks like we had an early start to the season, but it is not a early start of the season.

We were boarding around this time (on weekdays) locally the last 2 years. This year not sure even if it's open for weekends at the mo.

The NW US had a good dump in early/mid Nov. But since then it's warmed up, rained, and most recently gone into a cold snap. But no new snow since that first dump.

If you got out there for that ~1 week span it was good, but since then it's been m'eh. I've been wanting to go riding again but it hasn't been worth it.

Do you have a pass to Baker or anywhere SC?

Good news we are expecting a storm this weekend and then next week! Some much needed snow is soon. Only issue is it is going to champagne powder and then a bit heavier snow meaning avy danger off the hooook.

Originally Posted By: toyama tart
So just the US doing good early on then?

Nope the US is sucking it up. Utah and Colorado are horrible. Oregon and Washington have been rained on. California is doing alright but all the snow is real heavy and the east coast is just horrible.

I have a pass to Snoqualmie, which is the closest to Seattle but def also the least interesting. But it's all about the convenience. It's nice to be able to hit night boarding after work smile

Stevens and Crystal are about 2 hours away. Driving there isn't to bad, but coming back always feels twice as long. So for me it's about being lazy really biggrin

Baker more like 3 I think (although I haven't been).

Driving to the snow is so exciting, and it's easy to go 140~150 km on the Autobahn. 70, 80 min to get there but the drive back is a more weary 2hrs. I'd rather stay overnight and board next day again and l leave earlier. Missus is a faster and better driver and I leave driving to her these days. I like being driven. biggrin

Didn't snow on friday, so today was shopping day. Very crowded. Lots of Xmas pressies' done, but still have to go back for more... :sigh:

Wanted to go to Zillertal for the opening but 10~30 cm, mostly machine snow doesn't sound good. Last year would have been 70~100cm around this time.

So unless it snows tonight, slim chance of boarding tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

After waiting for the snow for so long and haven't been out there for a while, Missus and I went to Hochzillertal yesterday. Missus is again a schoolgirl so we can't go on weekdays and so we expected a bit of crowd.

The usual hour and a half drive took an extra hour due to traffic. The car actually stopped many times on the autobarn. I could see there were lots of cars with skies and boards. When we arrived at Kartenbach, the parking area was crowded and we parked in a 3 story parking station which was first time for us. It was little after 11 and some people were going home, some more on busloads arriving.

It wasn't that crowded up on the mountains. From base 558m to 1800m cable car and 5 min wait on the 6er 1677m to 2193m. We can see the snow condition isn't great but not bad. We had about the same coverage in Nov opening last year. I can hear the snow is hard pack on the icy side. We decided to go up the 4er Wendelexpress to 2500m, and check out Hochfuegen. The connecting point. The sun shines on that side and we thought we try that side to see what it's like.

There is a freeride area but it needed a good 50cm of fresh snow. The piste was hardpack, "icy but good edge grip" and occasional "slippery and there is nothing you can do but keep balance and slide with it" and some soft areas in between.

After a couple of runs to the bottom, we got the cable car the zillertal shuttle 1494m to 2378m and went back to the wendel run. It's a black run 300m vertical difference, surprisingly not crowded because it was windy so we went non stop fast! We heard a few shouts of protest from skiers waiting at steep sections and missed out going when they wanted to because we blast past them. We did that till the end of the day.

The last run down to the bottom, from the middle station to the base was the challenging bit. Narrow, steep, icy, lot's of people (some should have taken the cable car down) We forgot that rule, wait for half an hour. After all, we had a good day. Couldn't be bothered cooking so we went chinese, had a big bath, slept in.

Sorry guys, camera problem... no pics.