25 % discount my ass ...

It snowed I went.

I'm talking big nice rooms with a balcony.

Breakfast with eggs, salad, different cheese and ham to choose, fruits, yogult, choices of bread and rolls, cereals if you want it lighter ....

And huge Dinners. like two big Wiener Schnitzels pieces on a plate with potatos, Mansize food.

rolleyes

You make a good second hand car sales man GN

Thanks for the pics though. How tasteful

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know nothing about Niseko Jynxx yet you continually have a go at it. Love the reports from your region but how about you keep your comments about this region to yourself. I mean when was the last time you actually stayed in Niseko?

LOL GN. Seems to have touched a raw nerve. I have to say though that those 25% discount are pretty much a joke as the prices (with discount) still tend to be more expensive than regular prices from just 2 seasons ago. You yourself constantly remark on how you've 'priced' people out of Niseko.

That being said, I'll still probably go there every year as my winter vacation starts a little too early to feel comfortable booking in Honshu. The only difference is that now I only book Japanese accommodation as those prices don't seem to have changed much over the years.

I'm not saying there isn't accomm here that is very expensive and I certainly make no apology for it. Hey bookings are through the roof this season so the market out there certainly doesn't seem to have a problem with it. And actually with the 25% discount prices were very similar to 2 seasons ago. Our winter market is almost entirely a foreign market (at least in the western-style luxury properties) and it is priced for that market. And this year it appears we've got the pricing about right with bookings more than 60% up on last year.

Of course there are pensions here too where you can get very nice rooms with breakfast and dinner and passes included for very reasonable rates. It's fine to compare pricing but lets just make sure we're comparing apples to apples.

I just don't get people like Jynxx though, who obviously hasn't been here in years and knows very little about the place, yet who seem to need to try and put Niseko down in some way.

Easy, kids!

Let's talk about early snow and keep the my-resort-is-better-than-yours stuff for other threads...

Japan is obviously my turf and I can't wait to be in Niseko for 19 - 23 January. That said, if I was in Europe now, I'd be going high in the Alps too.

By the way GN - I now have tickets for the rugby next week. I know you are going to be with friends and so won't suggest meeting up in Tokyo, but maybe see you in Niseko in January?

Cheers

SdS

I'd be up skiing too if I was in Europe. And if Jynxx can restrain himself and just tell us how good the Alps skiing is we'll all be happy.

skidaisuki we'll be heading out after the game. I actually haven't booked a hotel as I don't expect to go to sleep at all before catching my flight back home the next day clap

If you want to try and catch up at all pm me your keitai number.

You have serious issues GN. and stop kidding about yourself for you not know anything about Japan. (You live in Hokkaido) You don't speak the language, you never grew up there and you don't have Japanese friends you grew up with there. You are constantly putting Japan down and claim you are there for the long run, but you are just a token gaijin there with your own agenda and you promote your own views (like myself do, which is freedom of speech) which I personally find distasteful at times but I keep my comments reasonably diplomatic. I have not called you an idiot like you have done to me which makes it personal, (and I think you do owe me an apology for that kiddo)

But since I seem to touch something of your fragile ego there Mr. Niseko-in-the-know or your livelihood, you better take what you can and get outta my face. Anyone can research and shop prices on the internet and I am getting allergic to some of BS you come up with.

Nowhere ain't my resort and people are free to put how many star rating on any resort.

But seriously, I've been to Niseko when there where no gaijins, only people who where into powder went there. Stayed there a week. Is there something really to rave about? Sure if you are a powder addict but for many people and most of my school mates it's like " Yeah, it's good. You get an illusion you became a seriously good skier because the snow is good. " A lot of us agreed we probably like to go again for sure but Zao, Happo O'ne , Togakushi... some people like like resorts like that.

Most of my friends who have been to Whistler prefer there to Niseko. So am I putting Niseko down? You gotta be kidding. I just talked about price that is fact. So , "people like You" huh, up yours way

Its gettng bloody cold down here now. Last nigth was the first time I put a jacket on to go out since April. The house is starting to feel cold at night time and I'm seriously thinking about filling up on kero for the heater.

Loving the webcam pic, good to hear someone's getting turns in Jynxx!!

thumbsup

We've had the heater on nearly a month already! Looks as though it's going to be pretty mild up here the next few days but some cool air moving in later in the week. Very tempted to head up to Asahidake or Kurodake the weekend after the rugby for some early turns.

Asahidake still looking very skiable. The other side of the peak is actually where the snow drifts and there'd be a deeper cover.

asahidake0008.jpg

I'm with Rob - GN and Jynxx, you've both made your feelings clear.

Please let's talk about the weather as we move into one of the most interesting and exciting times of the year...late autumn.

Tokyo dull, cool and wet today. The real topic, however, is temps in the North, and when we first get a winter pressure pattern establishing itself. Obviously not yet, but it shouldn't be too long.

SdS

You want to keep this going publicly then Jynxx? Lets remember though I'm not the one commenting on an area I don't live in and know nothing about, you are. I'm the one who took the effort to take this privately and you're the one who seems to want to keep it public. Proving the point that you really are an idiot.

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
LOL GN. Seems to have touched a raw nerve. I have to say though that those 25% discount are pretty much a joke as the prices (with discount) still tend to be more expensive than regular prices from just 2 seasons ago. You yourself constantly remark on how you've 'priced' people out of Niseko.
That being said, I'll still probably go there every year as my winter vacation starts a little too early to feel comfortable booking in Honshu. The only difference is that now I only book Japanese accommodation as those prices don't seem to have changed much over the years.

Yes it has. 19K per night in 2004 to 32K a night in 2009. Same Japanese hotel. And across the road from there?29K when I first stayed there, quoting 40K for 2009.

Love it. Stay can't get a room at peak though. Lots of Japanese stay the weekend.

Huh, guess I've been lucky with the places I stay then as it really hasn't changed much over the years. 2004 to 2009 certainly is a long enough time to justify some kind of price increase though. I usually like to look at short term changes when it comes to accommodation.

Are there any places in Japan that are as expensive as Niseko? I don't mean specific places but taking the resort as a whole? I know the argument will be that there are still some cheap places to stay but realistically if you don't book them by the end of October you are SOL as there are so few now.

The real question is is there anywhere else in Japan like Niseko? Is there anywhere else that has similar western-style, self contained, luxury apartments like we have here (that weren't built during the bubble years)? Is there anywhere else that relies so heavily on the international market during the winter months? As far as I know there isn't. It's difficult to compare this resort to other Japanese resorts in terms of pricing as the market and types of accomm on offer here are so different. For us it's not really about being competitive price wise with other Japanese reorts as the product we are offering is very different. It is more about being competitive with other international destinations.

I should add there are still a heap of Japanese run pensions and guest houses that predominantly deal with the domestic market and most of them would be priced much the same as any other Japanese resort. There is still very cheap accommodation options here (comparatively) although they may take a little more searching to find them as many will only have Japanese websites.

And staying outside of Hirafu will normally be considerably cheaper. There's more to Niseko than just Hirafu Village.

JMA forecasting snow in Sapporo and Asahikawa on Tuesday. Still quite a few days off so we'll have to wait see if it actually eventuates. Looking very good though for snow to low levels.