• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
[...]
Sorry guys, camera problem... no pics.

Nice report, Jynxx. I actually found no photos made me visualise it a lot more. Good to hear you're having shitty conditions in europe too. I've experienced St Anton with slim snow.

I'll go to St. Anton and check it out for you. I think it's about 150 cm there.

No big snow expected in the next week.

I can stil get reasonable photos with a point and shoot. I have to go shopping for a new one.

The best thing about going to Niigata, is when you come through the tunnels on the shinkansen, and after the second, if you are lucky, it enters into a valley of snow. I love that.

We used to do that on a express (kyu-koh) train 30 years ago. Still took us 4 hours to get there including connection at Minakami. (Driving was not an option.)

Kawabata's "Snowcountry" experience.

Yes I love that experience. Two years ago when I passed through the 10k tunnel, it was light snow flurrys Gunma side with around a metre plus snow, got through the other side of the tunnel and it was like being transported to a new world full of really deep snow, it is great.

It is also fun to take route 17 from Gunma, right over the top of the mountains in to Naeba and just watch as the road goes from no snow in Numata area, to gradually getting deeper and deeper until you run through mountains of snow as you approach Niigata prefecture.

I have driven that route many times, but still love the feeling!

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the snow in the lower altitude slopes in South Gemany/Tirol Alps.

Went to Achensee area. Reported to be 70cm with 20cm new snow. It was saturday morning when I arrived so there were people. On piste, I can feel the hard icy old snow underneath, and it was bumpy. Fresh snow was covered more at some patches making it lumpy, others icy without.

Difficult conditions. I saw it was easier on shorter boards (to snake thru the bumps), but clearly a day I realized I'm still not that good. I couldn't tell if it was a mogul or a lump of fresh snow, so I couldn't board on my front or rear foot and had to stay in the middle, had to control my speed from not going too fast, but not being able to put many small turns in to do that. I couldn't slow down either, to blast through the lumpy fresh snow.

If I were on skis, that wouldn't have mattered at all. I wonder, when it comes to snowboarding, being able to handle all conditions is an achievement in itself. Snowboard seems to like "even conditions" and the length affects a lot. Just 6cm made a big difference, imposed higher skills for the day.

OK. enough ranting. at 2:00 people started fading away. Snowflakes were bigger and was showering. biggrin

It quickly added a couple of inches and the afternoon changed. We also discovered a section where people forgot to go, the Gods have hidden it from others for us, sorta thing.

I fell a lot, wished I had my Missus' strong legs, got covered with lots of snow. smile