Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Fuji just got completely covered this weekend. Wish I had a picture to go with it... looking amazing on my bike ride to work!

was out on my bike just now, was hoping for a beautiful view of Fuji (as the rest of the sky is cloudless) from the beach BUT Fuji has decided to keep a hold of some of those storm clouds and I can't see her
  • Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Go Native
JMA forecasting snow in Sapporo and Asahikawa on Tuesday. Still quite a few days off so we'll have to wait see if it actually eventuates. Looking very good though for snow to low levels.

snow-forecast has got snow falling at Asahidake this weekend.

Yep - the pressure charts from Tuesday show a steady northwesterly airstream from Siberia being established right across Japan. I'm sure we'll see a reversion back after that, but it's pleasing to see, anyway.

GN - as in previous years, we look forward to your reports from the front line. Perhaps there'll be the first snow to village level at Hirafu.

SdS

Checking the snow forecast... looks like next Monday night will be the first nice dump at Shiga Kogen... expecting about 25cm on Monday arvo/night with more coming Tuesday. Yay...

I'm already checking the cams nearly daily, but once it starts, I go to twice a day....

Temperature was 10~14C last week, sunny and spring like in Bavaria. No snowfall reported.

It has cooled down over the weekend. Next week will be colder. Forecast of snow and -10 ~ -15C @2000m ASL for the week.

Going snowboarding again with missus for 4~5 days tommorow. I'm interested to see how it's changed over the week. Let you know.

Saw snow in China on CNN. Looks like it's happening...

So back to Tirol.

After a week of warm weather and no snow the place looked as the way it normally is with less snow (probably lost 4~8 inches) rocks sticking out, crevasses showing and the snow was packed a bit. However, in the afternoon it started snowing - yeah call me weather boy, I get the blessing when it comes to weather - and it got fluffier and heavier and our last runs we had a few inches of it on top. smile

Next day, sunny cool day with one foot of fresh powder over night. wooooo... up to our knees at some places. biggrin and it started snowing again in the afternoon. Visibility went down but not much to worry.

3rd day, Pow again. more fresh tracks to make. It was clear and cool day in the morning and it snowed again in the afternoon.

4th day. Windy and cold. I thought it would be powder but it got blown. Searching for pockets of snow. Some areas were crusty on the surface due to the cold strong wind (and soft underneath- sketch!).

Found ankle deep snow without any tracks and that was great for the day.

Just being at the right place at the right time ...

Looking colder up North by next weekend, with snow forecast for central Hokkaido on Saturday, night temps below freezing and day temps in single figures...

Perhaps this'll be the start of winter "proper".

We hope.

SdS

Definitely looking more wintry in the coming days - at least in Hokkaido.

According to forecasts, a winter weather pressure pattern with Siberian northwesterlies will be established over the northern half of Japan by next weekend.

Time to tune up the planks, I reckon.

SdS

Met a large group of Japanese in Austria staying for 2 weeks. I was told that coming here is popular with the Japanese for catching the early snow. You know how in Japan it's usually 2~4 nights when Japanese go to the snow. well, when they go for 2 weeks, it's Canada or Europe. They say hotels are expensive in some areas (guess where, without someone getting pissed off on this forum) plus the domestic travel, they find it good value and easy access from airports here in Austria.

mind you, they were young at heart but not into staying at backpacker's sort of way.