Well Obon holidays are with us, quietest time of the year here in the centre I often feel along with new year.

This year though a Japanese friend of mine has invited me back to their home in Chiba (a nice bit of...!) and I'm going to see how they celebrate Obon. Whether they do anything special or just sit and watch tv eating and drinking.

For those left in Japan at the moment, any traditional Obon plans?

It's crazy isn't it ?

Not many people are from Tokyo and you realize it at Obon time.

Obon is like western X'mas when people go back home (and your ancestral spirits in this case)

I always felt like I'm missing out on something when our house is in Tokyo.

I never take days off on public holidays in Japan. Travel during any holiday period here is not only very difficult but much more expensive.

I really don't like travelling when everyone else is, especially when there's always some fool doing the speed limit of 50km/hr with about 100 cars stuck behind them with no chance of overtaking. Holidays shouldn't be frustrating and stressful!!

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Holidays shouldn't be frustrating and stressful!!

lol
Try Easter Weekend with all the silly people trying to get 'down South' from Perth. It is about 300kms worth of parking lot. We once made the mistake of joining my parents in their holiday shack in Mandurah for Easter ...usually an hours drive [give or take] it took us 6 hours - I sh!t you not!!

It was Obon and a Japanese guy decided to take a trip across the pacific to Disney Land in LA.

He gets on the plane and sits down next to an American.

The American turned to the Japanese and asked, "What kind of '-ese' are you?"

The Japanese guy was confused and replied, "Sorry but I don't understand what you mean."

The American repeated, "What kind of '-ese' are you?"

Again, the Japanese was confused over the question.

The American, now irritated, then yelled, "What kind of -ese are you? Are you a Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, etc..."

The Japanese then replied, "Oh, I'm a Japanese!".

A while later, the Japanese turned to the American and asked, "What kind of '-key' are you?"

The American, frustrated, yelled, "What you mean what kind of '-key' I am?"

The Japanese said, "Are you a monkey, donkey or a Yankee?"