So how does everyone get amped up before taking a gnarly line or dropping a cliff or hitting a big kicker??

I tend to sing a good psyche up song to myself, think about what i'm going to do and how i'm going to do it and then go.

Do you do anything? Or do you just do it and don't need to psyche yourself up?

I'm NIKE man - just do it! don't think, if you think about it, then its gone.

got the latter quote from a famous "Life" magazine photographer he said " if you see a good picture - take it, dont think, if you think about it then its gone"

Heh - good topic. I usually try to sit there for just a second, take a deep breath to calm myself down, try to clear my mind, and fully commit before I even start my approach. The same I have found works if you are jumping off a cliff into a lake (or whatever). If you hesitate you are ruined.

It depends on the jump, cliff or line. If I have hit it before I usally just think about the trick and wait for the wind to be right. If its a cliff inbounds I want to know if someone is below me. Out of bounds cliffs I like to prob the landing first.

A pow run out of bounds Im thinking about slides and safe areas. If it goes which direction is the safe zone.

I usually take a deep breath, smile to myself and say "Yeah, I can do this" and just believe it and dont think too much about the consequences.

Having said that I am shit at freestyle, mainly because you cant get me out of the trees! Maybe this sthn hemisphere season clap.gif

u guys all seem well balanced individuals...

personally, i think anbout how grim life is already, and resign myself to the fact terrible consequences won't really make things any worse. then when i am thoroughly depressed and have lost all concern for my own well being, i give it a shot.

then, if i dont die, i cheer up a bit and have another go.

i thought this was normal.

This is jared not shimba - im too lazy to log out and in.

If its a cliff or skiing something (no real skill just balls)then after suitable preperation (checking landing) just bang my pole tops together and go - If its something that requires skill and positive actions to do (usually in the park) then I spend a bit of time visualising it in my head and pretending to do it sorting out the order I need to think about things

eg 1)Same speed as for normal avoid temptation to slow down 2) Pop and spin with ? arm back, 3)grab and tweek 4)look for landing about now I can stop thinking cos landing is a survival instinct.

after everything is sorted then just go and dont think about fing up or I will chicken out.

If I dont prepare properly then thats when I muff things up and huirt myself.

Under pressure in a frestyle camp I was trying to do a flare in the pipe without being able to visulise it - needless to say it made for funny video and plenty of jareds head size holes in the pipe wall. (and a stiff neck the next day)

well before riding.... i always try and listen to foo fighters - everlong on the way to the hill.... heard it years ago on a mack dawg video and decided it was the psyching song!!

but as far as hitting drops/kickers etc.... just gotta do it and leave your brains at the bottom of the lift otherwise ya might get hurt

I am hearing alot of echoes here about what goes on in my head before going off a kicker -

I take a few deep breaths, visualize the jump and the spin, and maybe the landing. I say to myself, "oh you`ve got this no problem-o."

But I am usually still pretty nervous at this point, so yeah, I also visualize crashing, and tell myself that I have lived through a hundred crashes off of kickers and the worst I`ll get is a broken this or that. It is usually springtime, before I am going off the big kickers, so I rationalize it by saying that I don`t care if my season ends right now.

then I`ll start my approach and hit myself in the head with a hand or two. It sounds really dumb and jock-ish, but I do it anyways, because for whatever it gets rid of the jitters, and the jitters are what kills you on a big kicker. I also have my best "go-for-it" kind of jumps after I hit myself in the head - I think it relieves tension er something.

mad.gif mad.gif

If its a cliff I usually stand up on top of it for as long as possible. Hopefully the in run is really steep and by now I am unable to hike easily out. Still standing on top for a bit longer deciding if i can ski out after landing or just hip check it. Finally after what seems like hours I jump off and at the bottom look up at what i just jumped telling myself that was stupid as it always looks way smaller from below.

And then watch as little kids jump off it with no problem. lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

ILive....

I hate it when that happens, the little kids just do 'it' without a secound thought! And with more flair and panache than you ever could!

One day I'm gonna catch one and make him/her tell me their secrets!

IF u catch one and hold on to 'em long enough to talk (any lil tacker worth his weight will be able to escape all but the most keen of detainers) they will laugh in your face. (and say something rude about your funny accent ;\) )

don't u remember being inviscible?? there is no secret. fear is something u learn.

dude, u r too old already. :p

Some of the kids at Whistler go freakin huge. They are so smooth to. I don't remember being that good when I was 10. Good all mountain skiers as well not just park rats.

Mika is right though. Fear is a learned thing and very difficult to forget. Dam those kids. Dam them all.