Is there anything more miserable than trying to lose weight?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha - sometimes my stomach screams for KFC or McD - I won't beat about the bush - but lets just say I haven't had either since xmas. Am pretty stable as well - have a balanced diet of veg, fruit and the occasional bag of crisps, just I know that if I were to eat a mammoth bag of crisps then I would feel groggy now. Much prefer some nice fresh veg or fruit.

Still have a cake now and then, had one last Thursday, which was great with some coffee, but as mentioned, certainly noticed the sugar rush and grogginess after.

Originally Posted By: Mantas
What happens when the program is finished?
Not trying to sound negative.

No thats a real issue with programs like this but I have to lose some weight and this does work for me, I will eventually get back into preparing meals for myself and do it more healthy but I needed to kick start the process.

I get a frozen meal that I heat up but add fresh steamed vegetables so I still get plenty of good organic food.

For some of us losing weight is a battle, I have struggled my whole life and when people meet me I get treat like I must be lazy and over eat, the fact is I am very fit and eat far less than most people, if I eat more than 2000 calories a day or 25gm of fat, I pile on the weight. I was a champion swimmer when I was younger nd I blame this as many of my friends that I swam with are now fighting the same battle.
Originally Posted By: ausi ski bum
For some of us losing weight is a battle, I have struggled my whole life and when people meet me I get treat like I must be lazy and over eat, the fact is I am very fit and eat far less than most people, if I eat more than 2000 calories a day or 25gm of fat, I pile on the weight. I was a champion swimmer when I was younger nd I blame this as many of my friends that I swam with are now fighting the same battle.

Interesting connection there Ausi Ski Bum!
First time I have heard anyone link hardcore swimming in youth to weight gain in adulthood - but interestingly I was also a competitive swimmer - however I have always harked back to my first child being born as the reason for my weight gain. One program I did years ago (and got down to a size 8 before getting ill and slowly putting the weight back on over a 3 yr period) talked about a trauma that resets your body for weight gain. And my first childs birth was indeed traumatic!

I will never forget going away for a weeks shopping trip with a girl friend of mine. We shopped and shopped, and she ate and ate - cakes, muffins, big fluffy hot chocolates as well as sandwiches and full meals - it seemed like every two hours we were stopping so she could refuel. But yet she was exhausted by the end of the day - I could keep going no problem. However when she had the muffin and hot chocolate I had a black coffee and water - and so it continued. By the end of the week we got home and weighed ourselves. She had lost half a kilo (which she could ill afford to lose) and I had gained two!! So I hear YA! I hear YA!

I too was a competitive swimmer in my teens. 3.2-4.0 km 5 mornings a week, gym on Monday nights, club comp on Wednesday nights, special relay training on Thursday nights and comps over the weekend. And I too have struggled with weight gain later in life. Are there any studies linking this?

nothing I can find by googling....

I stopped competitive swimming about 5 years before I started gaining weight, and prior to having my first child at 23 I had no issue with weight whatsoever. I was reasonably active, never thought about food, just ate whatever and maintained the same weight.

At 23 that changed. Every day has been a struggle since then. Timing coincided with first baby, but maybe it has other origins.

Originally Posted By: sanjo
Just sounds like an excuse to me.... wink

lol
Nah... not an excuse. looking for a reason why some of us have a harder time than others with weight.

If we were 'excuse' people then I reckon we would all be on a cake appreciation website, 200kgs, stuffing our faces with fast food - instead of doing (what was it Jenny Craig?), exercise programs and booking ski trips (great motivation to keep up the fight against weight gain).
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Originally Posted By: sanjo
Just sounds like an excuse to me.... wink

lol
Nah... not an excuse. looking for a reason why some of us have a harder time than others with weight.

If we were 'excuse' people then I reckon we would all be on a cake appreciation website, 200kgs, stuffing our faces with fast food - instead of doing (what was it Jenny Craig?), exercise programs and booking ski trips (great motivation to keep up the fight against weight gain).

Yep, definitely an excuse!

Maybe when you were hardcore training your were able to eat like a horse as your body dissolved the calories instantly with exercise but when you stopped training, you stopped using huge amounts of calories but maybe the large hunger didn't go. My Mrs did that, before she came to scotland she was a gym instructor and was teaching 3 or 4 high intensity classes a day so she was able to pile it in and not put any weight on. When she came to Scotland for 6 months she was still eating like a horse but not doing the classes, she piled weight on, its crazy to look at the photos of her (even though by UK standards she was still a twig). When she got home her family ribbed her endlessly about being fat!! lol She took it all off again though as she ate healthy Japanese food and got a job as Trainer again.

It is often true that people change thier behaviour (less exercise no change in food etc) but that wasnt the case for me - stopped training 5 years before piling the weight on, and I dont 'pile it in' either. From what I gather neither does ASB.

At least if you are piling it in you have the option to stop it and reverse the problem. It is a lot harder to shift weight when you already eat small.

Before an After photo's are awesome - but Tubby might be in the dog house if he posts pics of his wife here - do you lot not care if he is left celibate and unfed for the next 3 months?