Is there anything more miserable than trying to lose weight?

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy

Orange, Ganbaruing for one more month and then back to your regular diet will only lead to you gaining more weight, or at least putting back on what you already had so its not really going to do much good. Maybe an overall change in your eating habits/workouts will lead to better results.

Bang on CB
I struggle with the phrase 'on a diet'. We are all on a diet. A diet is what what we eat every day of our lives.
What people are really saying is "I am eating a specific diet so I can lose weight for a specific amount of time."
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
Orange, Ganbaruing for one more month and then back to your regular diet will only lead to you gaining more weight, or at least putting back on what you already had so its not really going to do much good. Maybe an overall change in your eating habits/workouts will lead to better results.

I am totally aware of that.
This is a short term thing ------- wanting to lose some weight before summer.

When I get back in September I plan to be a bit more long term.

eating more than you need will always get you fat.

A while back I tried the Atkins diet. Basically I just ate meat, a little veg, a little fruit. No carbs if I could help it. That, together with my mega drinking kept me the same weight without exercise. I like it ços I was young and partied quite a lot.

I've lost 15 kgs since january - simply by reducing portion sizes, eating properly - ie little to no processed food, no deep fried stuff etc, and cutting back the drinking. The only tough times have been going to izakayas when friends ordered all the greasy, deep fried stuff and I wanted to eat something healthier.

Originally Posted By: charlotte
It is a real shame that eating lots of yummy stuff makes you put on weight. Who can I write in to complain to?

lol You should sue their arse off.

I think it is not 'thier' arse that is wanting to be removed!

I have a constant battle with weight, and it sucks.

A few years back I went on Weight Watchers and got a personal trainer who worked me until I threw up (well I literally threw up once, but his sessions were BRUTAL all the time) three times a week with an hour on the treadmill every other day, and I PUT ON weight! I was FIT, but I put on a few kilo's and there was virtually NO change in the way my clothes fitted.

However when I am radical and cut out all the carbs (end of story - NO carbs, zip zero nada!) then it slowly drops. Soon as I eat a piece of toast or a potato - WHOOMPA! Back on the kilo's go.

Sucks!

But I refuse to give up the battle.

Originally Posted By: RobBright
I've lost 15 kgs since january - simply by reducing portion sizes, eating properly - ie little to no processed food, no deep fried stuff etc, and cutting back the drinking. The only tough times have been going to izakayas when friends ordered all the greasy, deep fried stuff and I wanted to eat something healthier.

it's pretty hard when even the vegetables are tempura.

pics ok - lemme find some - is was due to a multitude of things - wedding was one of them, but family has a history of heart and high blood pressure problems, an one way to reduce the chances of those, is by losing weight. and didnt want to join a gym, so started out with just reducing portions, coooking healthier, and in turn, the above problems have been reduced according to the doctor.

Originally Posted By: bobby12
Is Skippy a good peanut butter or a crappy one? It tastes great so I think I can guess the answer.

no its high in hydrogenated crap. Unfortunately the one I ate back home doesn't get sold here. Can't remember the name of it though

Wow... what a difference.

You look younger having lost weight.... bit like Nick Cave

I had a Retriever, too. Good dogs aren't they. Just need a place for them to swim

If you know what your eating from that program, Can't you cook yourself the similar with good organic ingredients? I'm a strong believer (but not strict) in cooking with organic food where possible, and pre-prepared sounds really sus to me.

Organic food is all well and good if :

a) you have a readily available supply,

eg. my town only has one store that sells it day in day out. There is a farmers market, but they only come once every fortnight, in summer once a week.

B) you have the money to pay for it, as invariably it tends to cost more than the "regular" produce,

ie in my local seiyu, an organic carrot costs 148yen for one medium sized, or 65 yen for two large "regular" ones.

c) it doesn't go off within two days.

Also cooking depends on how much time you have available per day/per week, but yes, prepared stuff is horrid once you have been eating freshly prepared food for a while.