Is there anything more miserable than trying to lose weight?

And not eating much.

And not eating the food you really like.

And eating salads and stuff.

And being a bit hungry all the time.

Well, I'm sure there are more miserable things of course, but when I'm trying to lose weight like I am now, I realise just how much I love eating and eating lots.

But I will GAMBARU for one more month.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My tips:

1) regular exercise

- 2x40min sessions per week on an exercise bike while watching LOST or something

- cycle to work

- long walk at lunchtime everyday

- etc

2) no snacks at work

3) no snacks after 8pm

4) slightly reduce volume of your meals

5) (important one) keep yourself busy because boredom is the main thing that will bring you crashing to the rocks of peanut butter toast.

By doing the above, I am able to maintain my (slightly over)weight despite spending all day sitting on my ass.

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
I thought you said you weren't in that much shape, GN? wink

Don't cut down on the crisps though. Essential part of life.

I'm running about an hour daily at the moment and doing a decent hike on the weekends as part of my training leading up to the ski mountaineering trip next year. If I don't have a heart attack in the meantime I may just be able to get fit enough to dream of reaching the summit. We'll see...

Absolutely!!

Try living with someone who's trying to lose weight! It's a right pain!

Especially if they are the cook in the house - they tend to overcompensate by overloading the plates of the other member of the household.

Me and my girl cooked up 600 g mince with bacon for burgers and finished it.

Had a packet of crisps with them...

Had dessert afterwards. We thought the buns weren't necessary but certainly the burgers didn't get in the way.... Red meat is good for you !

actually peanut butter is a good snack to have as long as you can get the right kind (ie low fat, no hydrogentaed crap). Peanuts have a a chemical in them that has been shown to beat the hunger pangs for longer, so as long as your looking after everything else, that peanut butter sandwich isn't the diet crasher you think it is

Agreed... I'd buy a food processor that can make your own nut butters. Almonds, Peanuts, etc..

I also reckon the trick is to eat small meals more frequently. Shrink the stomach so you get satisfied with less, and don't let your body think that it's a famine and start storing what you eat...

and chew more. Start counting how many times you chew.

Orange, If your struggling to give up the food then your only other option is exercise and lots of it. When I competed in triathlons I would be training 2 or more hours a day, I could eat whatever the hell I wanted, and I did.

I agree when I am skiing in Japan I can eat what ever I want and how much I want as I burn it all off.

Back home I run 5 days a week with weight work but am fairly in active at work so stick to salads and low cal meals but still struggle.

I think it definately has something to do with age. The young girl who eats for me eats SO MUCH and is about a size 8. Yesterday she polished off 5 tim tams - a salad roll - 8 pieces of sushi - mentioned she had a huge breakfast and was going home to a roast lamb dinner. NICE as a munched on my lettuce leaf!! sadface

Originally Posted By: TheOrange
And not eating much.
And not eating the food you really like.
And eating salads and stuff.
And being a bit hungry all the time.

Well, I'm sure there are more miserable things of course, but when I'm trying to lose weight like I am now, I realise just how much I love eating and eating lots.

But I will GAMBARU for one more month.

I think Japan is one of the best places for living healthily and eating healthy. In America its much harder IMHO.

First thing people need to do is cut back portions. Have any of you looked at food portions in the 1970s and compared them with today? It is sickening how much food we shove in our mouths today. Food portions in the US are UN****INGBELIEVABLLY HUGE. It makes me sick. I can barely eat a salad when I go out to dinner back home.

Education in the realm of food/eating has GOT TO BE IMPROVED because it seems like the average person just doesnt know how to eat properly and have a balanced diet.

Orange, Ganbaruing for one more month and then back to your regular diet will only lead to you gaining more weight, or at least putting back on what you already had so its not really going to do much good. Maybe an overall change in your eating habits/workouts will lead to better results.

Dont forget, the more you workout, the more youre going to have to eat...that first hump is a $%!

with = wish

Im thankful for small portions here. I lost about 4KG in my first 6 months here, I got pretty fat during my 2 years back in UK.