• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The nightas at Niseko are the best that you will experience anywhere. Don't take my word for it. See it for yourself, but in moderation OK?

caveate: it's not really worth going to Japan to experience it.

I have mostly only done nighta at Niseko. A few times I have been to other places in Nagano and they were very poor in comparison. Don't knock nighta until you're tried it up here.

BS How mush snow fell on your last trip again? you sound like a someone in a marketing department. How many night skiing places have you been to?

Quote:
Huge flakes falling silently on the already fallen foot of powder since you went for dinner. Nobody on the slopes, just you and the golden lit snow. And you wonder if you have died, 'cos you know you're in heaven
Originally Posted By: thursday.
fattie, is that some kinda BS? lol

No, I have spent most of my time in Japan in this region and while I know it well I don't know other areas as much. And as you said the nighta at Niseko is tops.

smile
C'mon, that means you've never been to a Niseko nighta.

Huge flakes falling silently on the already fallen foot of powder since you went for dinner. Nobody on the slopes, just you and the golden lit snow. And you wonder if you have died, 'cos you know you're in heaven.

Excellent!
Do you get many on the slopes at night in Niseko?

In Hakuba - Goryu does a good nighta, Happo - not so good, too short. Not very busy - though the local junior racing teams pratice on them.

Deserted.

But was told that the day revenue pays for the night time operation. Don't run on a loss even though the slopes are empty. And offers more than other resorts by having a 12ish hour ski day.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
C'mon, that means you've never been to a Niseko nighta.

Huge flakes falling silently on the already fallen foot of powder since you went for dinner. Nobody on the slopes, just you and the golden lit snow. And you wonder if you have died, 'cos you know you're in heaven.

Couldn't have said it better myself!!
Quiet...yes!
Fresh stuff...most of the time yes!!
...and bizarrely many nights I found the wind died down, the visibility improved even if it was still snowing.
And the lighting is GOOD. Not like the pathetic night ski in Aus!
Nighta at Niseko is AWESOME!!

All true but you left off one other bit of important information - it is C'KIN' COLD! out there on the quad lift at 8pm when the wind is blasting you full in the face. Also, absent fresh snow it can get a bit icy. Worth the effort though but by about 8 pm after a full day of riding the board, a beer and some place warm starts to be pretty bloody appealing.

But nighta at niseko is worth it and the extra light actually tends to highlight the bumps and stuff so vis is often way better than the flat afternoon light typical in places.
Originally Posted By: Fattwins
BS How mush snow fell on your last trip again? you sound like a someone in a marketing department. How many night skiing places have you been to?

Quote:
Huge flakes falling silently on the already fallen foot of powder since you went for dinner. Nobody on the slopes, just you and the golden lit snow. And you wonder if you have died, 'cos you know you're in heaven

Once again the great sage comments on a resort he's never been to. Once again he just can't seem to help himself from denigrating those that have anything positive to say about Niseko. horse

Thats what its about GN, yes you know best. My comments to Thursday was, he has been no where else, so he couldnt even know a difference about anything. You really took the time to read up on this one. Thx for the repeat comment as usual.

The nightas at Niseko are the best that you will experience anywhere. Don't take my word for it. See it for yourself, but in moderation OK?

yes, nightas in Niseko are quite epic.

caveat: dont take thurs advice - his one resort experience doesnt count horse shifty

I read the whole thread fattwins and Thurs merely commented on how amazing nightas are in Niseko. Whether or not he has been to other resorts is beside the point (even if he wants to claim Niseko is the best). Whether or not he received much snow during his last trip here was also totally besides the point. Or what because on one his trips he didn't get much snow means that he can't comment on how good the night skiing is? I'm just wondering why you feel the need to be the forum censor on any comments on Niseko, especially considering you've never been here?

Also if your point is that Thurs can't make the comments he did because he hasn't been to other resorts then I am somewhat astounded by your hypocrisy. The amount of comments you've made about Niseko over the last few years even though you've never been here are testament to this.

No you didnt read GN. Good old thursday used his wisdom and knowledge of Japanese ski resort to claim that only Niseko would be installing lifts for the next century. Thursday then brought his BS to 3 or 4 different threads. I showed thursday that other resorts in Japan had ordered and installed lifts.

So you didnt read yet you are commenting. so go on read some more for me.

my hypocrisy give me a break dude, he didnt get snow yet he is saying that it will be a powder laden heaven at the nighta.

Alas, you're fighting a losing battle there Go Native (though the consistently bitter snappy outbursts in return can be rather amusing to read of course...) lol

Back on topic, we got an email from a hotel we stayed at last winter to tell us that - sorry - prices are going up 10% for this winter.

Wait a minute, wait a minute -- are you telling me that this Fattwins character has never actually even been to Niseko? (I was convinced that he had extensive experience of the place, given the amount of comment he has posted on the subject).

Originally Posted By: Fattwins
No you didnt read GN. Good old thursday used his wisdom and knowledge of Japanese ski resort to claim that only Niseko would be installing lifts for the next century. Thursday then brought his BS to 3 or 4 different threads. I showed thursday that other resorts in Japan had ordered and installed lifts.

So you didnt read yet you are commenting. so go on read some more for me.

my hypocrisy give me a break dude, he didnt get snow yet he is saying that it will be a powder laden heaven at the nighta.

I stand corrected. Sorry I was unaware that I was supposed to read every thread on this forum to understand your comments in this one.

Still about the snow thing, frankly you're just being ridiculous. All ski resorts on this planet have periods when it snows and periods when it doesn't. And all have good and bad years. Niseko is lucky enough that even it's worst season on record still recorded an annual snowfall amount in excess of 7m which would be considered pretty damn good at most other ski areas on the planet. To suggest that because on one of his trips it didn't snow means that Thurs should not make a comment about deep powder nightas is as I said just plain ridiculous.

And if you're unable to see your hypocrisy when you criticize others for making comments about places they haven't been to then you really need to dial down the arrogance a little man. Your knowledge about resorts and backcountry in your region is extensive and valued highly but your constant criticism of all things Niseko really does lose you a lot of respect on these forums.

Thursday seems to be getting a bit of stick because had the temerity to make this claim without having racked up time at other resorts around Japan. Is anyone seriously suggesting that there is a better nighta experience in Japan?
Originally Posted By: Rag-Doll

Thursday seems to be getting a bit of stick because had the temerity to make this claim without having racked up time at other resorts around Japan. Is anyone seriously suggesting that there is a better nighta experience in Japan?

Yes, of course. Hakuba is better in every respect. You don't need to leave Hakuba to know this. Simply being in Hakuba gives extra-special powers.