Ski is ancient and there are lots of snowboarders who carry poles around. Sking was as you well know a from of transport. There was no grooming in those days and as most boarders know it sucks to slog.

Poles uses

getting to fresh tracks ahead of boarders

hitting people who are idiots

wacking those dam braches that get in the way while traversing out.

letting the pole take the damm branch that want to slap your face.

towing your boarder buddies across flat sections ie the sling shot.

Probe poles you get 2 small probes instead of one.

chair made with skis.

leaning on them and relaxing

flicking snow at your buddies

etc etc etc

OK, serious question here.

If a person started learning from scratch without using poles, how much of a handicap would that be (assuming they weren't going to flick snow at their mates, and were going to do average resort riding)? Would they be able to progress as far, or further than if they did use poles?

And, how often do you change your poles? Do you hunger after poles like you do after planks?

(I wonder if SKI has any valid information or opinion in his quiver...)

I hunger for poles when they break. I have used the same grips for 4 to 6 years, I truly forget. Once you find a grip you like its best to stick with it. I buy cheap poles they are light and you can bend back when they do get bent.

Most learners dont learn with poles. They just get in the way. But as you progess they help.

In our sport you need to keep your hands well balanced. quite hands and hands in front keep your balance going down the hill when your body wants to go back.

8 to 9 years ago I broke my hand and learned how to ski for 6 weeks without poles. When I got stuck in the powder though it was tough to get up. I had to hope a friend could help out or the roll to a flip could get me righted.

To increse the moment of inertia of your upper body.

Yes it is possible and easy to go without them.

X games rules state that you have to have poles to enter so the pros that didnt use them had to start.

OK, poles...poles..poles... Sorry, it's been so long since I needed to bother with them.

Hmmm...I seem to remember using them to #1 plant to initiate the turn #2 keep me leaneing forward in my boots and keeping my upperbody down hill #3 ever try moguls without poles? UG-LY! #5 if you fall in deep POW, you cross them in your hand to make an X and help spread your weight over the snow to help you get up. #5 when you invariably break/bend one beyond repair, you can stick the grip on the stick-shift on your truck #6 cross them on the slope, along with your skis, after you've done something silly, like wipe-out and impale yourself with one, not to mention tearing your $300+ jacket.

Or just take the next step and buy snowboard (flame suit on).

On the groomed etc I dont really need poles and would ditch them but skiing pow without poles are pretty tough. You dont really need them to skate along flat surfaces but they help and you can lean on them. Oh, they stop you from sliding forwards too much in the lift line (boarders have to unstrap). you can use them to itch somewhere hard to get to, whack snowboarders, whack the tree as you pass so snow dumps on your buddy behiend you. You use them to get out of your bindings etc.

so in conclusion, on the groomed stuff you dont really need them and skiing without them is fine, its all the other stuff. But if they broke then we could still ski

They are important. Even on Groomers they help on balance.

When your putting some huge GS turns down a groomed slope you can let them drag. well not really drag but with arms out, kind of like sensors or exstensions of your arms. They also help you stand up straight. Turn initiation

Like someone said before. Bumps without poles are next to impossible.

Skiing without poles is lame. Kind of like Snowlerblading. You can only progess so far without poles. Do we go to ski stores to look at the new 2004 model poles. NO NO NO. Usually just pick up a pair in the bargain barrel cut them to size and go. A pole is pretty much a pole. If you break it buy another pair. No worries. But important to have.

i learned to ski without poles in ski school. but then i used them. right before i stopped skiing (in middle school), my mates and i would sometimes go out without them for kicks. it was just on groomers at a crappy resort in virginia.

ILivetoSki is right (as much as I hate to admit it). Poles are important everywhere. Balance is everthing. As much as is hard to admit, just look at racers, especially downhillers. Poles have gotta add some drag when doing 130km/hr on Kitzbuhel, and downhillers rarely bash gates, so why are they still using them? Because they need to...

I did hear this nasty story of a dude that wrecked, snaped his pole and impaled his leg on the sharp end (along with his femoral artery), and bled to death on the mountain. yuck. I've snapped composite poles twice, and those give some nasty carbon composite fiber sharp ends. Scares me everytime I think about it. eek.gif